Sign in to follow this  

how to check rear shock

is there a way to check my xr650r rear shock, how can i tell if there is nitrogen in the shock?  the reason is when i bought it, it sat for maybe 2 years in a garage and there was a little oil leak at the shaft seal, i cleaned the shaft and ran the suspension up and down and it has stayed sealed with out a drip for over 600 miles now...  

usually is a little loose feeeling with low or no pressure like a lot less comp and reb, if you having doubts take the spring off and push the clevis in if it doesnt return or is slow it needs charge!

• Like 2

usually is a little loose feeeling with low or no pressure like a lot less comp and reb, if you having doubts take the spring off and push the clevis in if it doesnt return or is slow it needs charge!

ok, soo if i take the shock out and remove the spring i should compress it and expect it to extend on its own correct? Did i understand correctly?? Thanks

ok, soo if i take the shock out and remove the spring i should compress it and expect it to extend on its own correct? Did i understand correctly?? Thanks

yes that's correct it should take 5-7 sec to extend fully!

• Like 1

If you don't know the history of the bike in regards to when the shock was last serviced, and you know the shock seal head has been leaking, why not take this opportunity to do some maintenance on the shock? Tear it down, wash it all really well, replace the seal head seals, or the seal head as an assembly, put fresh shock oil in it, and have the nitrogen recharged to the proper spec. While you have it apart, polish out any nicks on the shock shaft so it does not destroy the new seals in the seal head.

In my mind, not knowing what the shock actually needs would bother me. You never know when it might start leaking again.. For all you know the nitrogen charge is gone and the shock is not working properly. If oil has leaked out, there is a good chance that air has gotten in.. Not good. Do it once. Do it right.

• Like 1

If you don't know the history of the bike in regards to when the shock was last serviced, and you know the shock seal head has been leaking, why not take this opportunity to do some maintenance on the shock? Tear it down, wash it all really well, replace the seal head seals, or the seal head as an assembly, put fresh shock oil in it, and have the nitrogen recharged to the proper spec. While you have it apart, polish out any nicks on the shock shaft so it does not destroy the new seals in the seal head.

In my mind, not knowing what the shock actually needs would bother me. You never know when it might start leaking again.. For all you know the nitrogen charge is gone and the shock is not working properly. If oil has leaked out, there is a good chance that air has gotten in.. Not good. Do it once. Do it right.

thanks man, im gonna do that ... One question, where do i get the nitrogen filled? Can i go to a race sho where they service off road race car shocks and tell them to fill up to the correct psi?

Yes, the place you mention may have the ability to recharge your shock. You simply need to ask if they can do it. If your race shop can't do it, just check with your local Honda M/C dealership.

• Like 1

Yes, the place you mention may have the ability to recharge your shock. You simply need to ask if they can do it. If your race shop can't do it, just check with your local Honda M/C dealership.

i took the shock out of the bike and removed the spring aparently all is good !! heres a vid tell me your opinion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5YPCSzR-nA i think its got plenty of nitrogen

I like that the shock shaft fully extends when you release it but that does not definitively prove that it is charged fully.. When you are rebuilding a shock, you can put as little as 20 lbs. of air in the bladder and the shaft will return just like yours does in the video.

Also, do not attempt to check the pressure in the bladder yourself with an air gauge. The volume of the bladder is so small that using an air gauge will drop the pressure considerably requiring a recharge to get it back up to the correct level.

No one can say whether your shock needs work at this time until it is torn down. If it is leaking, or has been leaking before, it will probably leak at some point again. Or it's already low on oil. Who knows.

• Like 1

i dont meaqn to arque but i believe 20 psi will not extend the shaft fully and that fast....

the speed that extends looks like the pressure is adequate! it may not be 142psi but it cycles the shaft

oil volume is a consideration but also the use of the bike and the money willing to be spend as well!!

If your racing the Baja or you notice something you dont like with the handling then you should rebuilt the shock....otherwise you could get by as is!!

If you will worry about it riding it do it,or if you want the components of your bike to be in fresh condition..

50psi will fully extend the shaft , that's what I use on my bleed pump

50psi will fully extend the shaft , that's what I use on my bleed pump

yeap, but would it extend it that fast as the video is showing!

i dont know if you read the thread but main point is the function of the shock....if its still good to go or not?

Wblake please note that his initial post indicates that he was leaking oil at the shock shaft... this is the reason I would service the shock.

Easy solution, just check the nitro pressure, knowing that you're going to need to refill it anyway.  It's such a small amount, my guy only charges me $5... if I don't bring beer.  If it's low when you check it, do the rebuild (I'd do the rebuild anyway for peace of mind and because it's really not that hard).  If it's ok when you check it, refill and you're only out $5... or a six pack.

It's really easy to rebuild shocks, will cost you $10 for fork oil and another $5 for a nitrogen charge.

I would replace the seal head since you know it has leaked in the past.

He might want to confirm pricing on the nitrogen charge. I could not find a place that would do it for less than $30.. I called a bunch of places too.