Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse woes

Hey guys,

Recently bought a z-start pro from a user here on TT. (Awesome transaction BTW)

I got the whole thing installed last night, I even bought brand new friction plates to go with it, but something was off. The gap between the top friction and the pressure plate was way too tight. I could not fit the no-go gauges in the plates at all. The instructions said it didn't seat properly and to re-install. So I did that, still too tight. So I thought what the heck, let me put it all together and see what happens. 

Well, I decided to roll it around in gear a bit to check it out. The bike had a lot of resistance, its almost like the clutch was fully engaged, but the rear wheel would roll instead of just sliding. 

I emailed rekluse they told me I may need a thinner steel plate, and to check clearances with feeler gauges. 

I was only able to get something like .015 between, I need atleast .028.

So, I installed my old friction plates, and I was just barely able to get .028 in between. I put everything back together, same issue. Less resistance than before, but the same thing.

I sent rekluse another email, asking about how much the thinner plates are. They told me the z-start pro is discontinued and I will need to get them machined.

Bummer.

So, I just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues with a z-start pro. 

How did you resolve them?

Is the bike okay to ride like this?

I'm going to go do the break-in procedure tomorrow before work, but would like to know what to expect.

Thanks for any and all help,

Josh

First, the Z-Start Pro isn't discontinued - the older Z-Start is.

On all the YZ's I've done installs on, they've all required at least 2 thinner plates.  That's been normal in my experience.

YZ clutches are VERY sensitive to torque on the center hub nut as well.  40 ft-lbs MAX.

0.028" is useable.  I would set up the springs for at least the medium setting for now, if not the high setting.  Just keep ordering thinner plates from Rekluse until it gets in the right range.  It won't hurt anything.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Recently bought a z-start pro from a user here on TT. (Awesome transaction BTW)

I got the whole thing installed last night, I even bought brand new friction plates to go with it, but something was off. The gap between the top friction and the pressure plate was way too tight. I could not fit the no-go gauges in the plates at all. The instructions said it didn't seat properly and to re-install. So I did that, still too tight. So I thought what the heck, let me put it all together and see what happens. 

Well, I decided to roll it around in gear a bit to check it out. The bike had a lot of resistance, its almost like the clutch was fully engaged, but the rear wheel would roll instead of just sliding. 

I emailed rekluse they told me I may need a thinner steel plate, and to check clearances with feeler gauges. 

I was only able to get something like .015 between, I need atleast .028.

So, I installed my old friction plates, and I was just barely able to get .028 in between. I put everything back together, same issue. Less resistance than before, but the same thing.

I sent rekluse another email, asking about how much the thinner plates are. They told me the z-start pro is discontinued and I will need to get them machined.

Bummer.

So, I just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues with a z-start pro. 

How did you resolve them?

Is the bike okay to ride like this?

I'm going to go do the break-in procedure tomorrow before work, but would like to know what to expect.

Thanks for any and all help,

Josh

Josh they are no-go gauges,,if the wire gauges fit you are to wide.

Why are you trying to move the bike around in gear without the motor running and with a cold gearbox?

They all do this.

Just ride it, and report back.

• Like 1

With my Core EXP 2.0 I am able to roll it in gear just as you described, although I am unable to answer your question. I do know there is a thinner steel plate and the rest are normal thickness, but I don't know if that applies to the z start.

• Like 1

Josh they are no-go gauges,,if the wire gauges fit you are to wide.

Why are you trying to move the bike around in gear without the motor running and with a cold gearbox?

They all do this.

Just ride it, and report back.

I figured I would atleast be able to get the no-go between the plates, and they wouldn't fit between the pads. 

I also figured I would be able to move it around like it was in gear with the clutch pulled in.

First, the Z-Start Pro isn't discontinued - the older Z-Start is.

I'll have to make sure the contact I was talking to from rekluse is speaking of the z start not the pro.

Ride report:

Went out to test it this morning. I am a happy man!  :thumbsup:

After it warmed up, and I adjusted the clutch cable, the instructions said to turn it off and move it around in gear to circulate some oil.

I did so and it rolled around MUCH easier, and I didn't hear anything from the piston.

So, I turned it on put it in gear, it chugged a bit and wanted to creep, but it worked great!

I think my 13oz FWW may have played a part, but it works awesome, can't wait to get a real ride in!

Thanks for all your help guys!

• Like 1

If there's creep then either the gap is too tight, or there's drag from the basket being overtorqued.  Check both.  In the mid setting, you should have full disengagement basically.