Sign in to follow this  

California Advice for family enduro?

Hey guys, I am interested about doing an enduro soon since being a full time college athlete, the hare scrambles are a little too intense to be doing. Anyways i was looking at the d36 schedule and i saw that the Crazy Miner Enduro at the end of the month in Georgetown. Having never done either, whats the difference between a normal enduro and a family enduro? Any tips going into either event?

No tips, but crazy miner will be my first as well, excited to go out there and ride. Hopefully follow some of the experienced guys to help out.

In a family endure, the trails used should be easier so that the youngsters and less experienced riders can get through them. The speeds should also be easier to maintain. The Crazy Miner is a good on to try. CERA puts on quality enduros and the Georgetown area is lots of fun to ride.

GO FOR IT!

Ride on

Brewster

• Like 1

Get familiar with how time keeping works; ideally if you have an odometer and a cheap digital watch, get a roll chart holder and a roll chart to follow along the course, even if it's confusing the first time. Best scenario would be to ride with someone who is good with timekeeping and can help you along the way. You can always keep time based on either someone on your minute or someone on the row a minute in front of you. Go at it with an attitude of its a fun organized trail ride, don't get too caught up in how well you are doing from a timing -perspective, and you will have a great time. FEs are great fun, great people who ride them and work them, everyone is very encouraging and willing to help you along the way. Good luck!

Get familiar with how time keeping works; ideally if you have an odometer and a cheap digital watch, get a roll chart holder and a roll chart to follow along the course, even if it's confusing the first time. Best scenario would be to ride with someone who is good with timekeeping and can help you along the way. You can always keep time based on either someone on your minute or someone on the row a minute in front of you. Go at it with an attitude of its a fun organized trail ride, don't get too caught up in how well you are doing from a timing -perspective, and you will have a great time. FEs are great fun, great people who ride them and work them, everyone is very encouraging and willing to help you along the way. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! Where can i pick up this roll chart holder at? Will be riding a YZ so a digital watch will have to do. Also can i show up and sign up or do i need to mail in the pre entry? Last question, i understand that its mainly a family event, and like you said more like an organized trail ride, but is it still competitive?

No tips, but crazy miner will be my first as well, excited to go out there and ride. Hopefully follow some of the experienced guys to help out.

Looking forward to seeing ya out there!

Thanks for the advice! Where can i pick up this roll chart holder at? Will be riding a YZ so a digital watch will have to do. Also can i show up and sign up or do i need to mail in the pre entry? Last question, i understand that its mainly a family event, and like you said more like an organized trail ride, but is it still competitive?

This should get you to the flyer for the Crazy Miner Enduro:

http://www.ama-d36.org/images/CM_Flyer_Rider_Info_2013.pdf

Ride on

Brewster

FEs are as competitive as you make them, they are fun but you can push yourself and make it challenging. There will be guys (and kids!) who will practically zero the course. You can get the roll chart and holder at the event itself they almost always offer them for sale. Otherwise you can buy the holder from many places online and you can get a program to print out the roll chart from the course layout data they publish a week or so before the race.

Does your YZ have an odometer?   If you do not have a way to track mileage then a rollchart will be useless

No i dont..

Just go ride.  Many make enduro so confusing...It's not.

First Enduro, follow the arrows like a marked trail ride.  Goal would be finish the entire course.

How much Timekeeping is involved when one is late, anyways?  When late, go...pretty simple.

i agree with dave.

don't over complicate things.  just go ride it and see if you finish it.  my first 4 enduros i never did any type of time keeping. 

after i started burning checks is when i decided to start checking out this time keeping thing.

also for your original question, "what's the differance between a family enduro and regular enduro." 

there is one thing not mentioned here.  is the length of the enduro.  family enduros are shorter then regular enduros.

also FYI, a lot of regular enduros have an "E" class.  we have one this year at the Jackhammer, (if we can run it this year,) when you sign up for E class you only ride the first loop.