Sign in to follow this  

New 13 XCW, what does it need

Xmas is coming early, what do I need to do to this 450xc-w right away. Planning on throwing a bash plate on it and riding.

Does it need the ecu mod?

The XC-W doesn't need the EU map, that is more necessary for EXC's that are excessively lean to meet DOT standards.  Put a skid plate, brush guards, rotor guards, and tear it up.  Steering stabilizer if you want to spend a few extra bucks.  Great bike!

Really loving this bike after a few hours last w/e. The power delivery is very manageable on any terrain, in any gear. It's a tractor on loose steep rutted rooty and rocky, while on tight single track the steering is awesome and it's as nimble as a 200xc.

Great handling right out of the box, just backed the clickers off a few positions.

Went with Cycra ProBends, KTM bash plate, and tank filter sock so far.

Any suggestions on the gearing. This stock 13/52 makes 1st gear totally worthless for the riding I do. Thinking about going to a 14 up front.  Have to replace these grips with the fatter pillow tops too.

That's interesting I was thinking about upping the back so 2 nd would be less tall and write 1 st gear off altogether what are your thoughts?

I run 14-48

so I was thinking about opening a thread about this but this is good place to start, what's that gearing do for you, what kind of trails you predominantly ride with that gearing

Mine is an older version, but I run a 14:50 combo. Infrequently I need the ability to travel greater distance at higher velocities and don't want to be near redline for extended periods. 

so I was thinking about opening a thread about this but this is good place to start, what's that gearing do for you, what kind of trails you predominantly ride with that gearing

The 14/48 let's engine run slower and rear tire quicker.

Its a 1995 440 exc close ratio trans. Very close.

When I bought it. It topped at maybe 50 mph? Had 13/51.

I needed to gain top end speed, all power is low to mid and I am trying to spread it some with gearing versus porting and engine mods.

I can ride tight woods in fourth and its just too slow. I Don't even use first.

I may drop to 14/40 and see if I get closer to what I am used to.

I ride fast but not race pace anymore.

If I rode MX or sx I would want the gearing I have now.

But trail riding this brute, especially steep hills off camber hills with tree crossings, you don't want to be on the pipe all the time, but don't want it lugging either all the time. I may plate this bike and commute on it, if I get it more rider friendly. ( tame the beast)

Of you can ride tight woods in 4th, you aren't in tight woods...

Normally yes.

This bikes gearing isn't like my 250 or 300 exc's, its way tight.

Compared to my 250 and 300 the 440 fourth gear feels like its between second and third on the others. I am trying to figure out how to regear it with out splitting cases. I figured sprockets and chains are cheaper for now. Or I may be getting rid of it for different bike?? Maybe a 380.

Fellow I knew had a 440EXC. The gearing was nothing like you describe. Typical W KTM ratios, with gaps.

Ordered a 50t for the back. Every bike I've owned couldn't go wrong with 13/50.

Cut the ball end off the clutch lever today and put the fatter pillow top grips on.

Also have a stiffer shock spring coming for my 200lb rotundness.

Break-in ride #2 when well Saturday, 60+ miles of wheel spinning fast pace woods riding and loose hill climbs only burned 1.7gal.  

Can't believe this bike will do over 80 miles on the little stock tank.

Shopping for some rad guards

Fellow I knew had a 440EXC. The gearing was nothing like you describe. Typical W KTM ratios, with gaps.

that's just it. I know this bikes been modded, but i don't know what they've done, with out pulling it all down. I picked it up to ride for this year. But its not quite what I was looking for yet.

I don't dislike it too much. its just no where, what I've been used to. I love the power, I'm not given up yet.

I had a friend ride it to see what he thought, he hated it. He used to own a 440 also. He said its nothing like his was. ???

That's the only big gripe I have with it.