Different conditions Bike setup what do you use?

So lets say your riding on hard pack, what kind of changes would you do for your bike? What changes would you do for mud on that same track? What kind of changes do you typically make when riding different track conditions? I'm asking you, like YOUR personal preferences.

Good question.  I assume you’re talking about changing things like tires, tire pressure, gearing, mapping, suspension, etc.  Personally, I don’t really adjust anything at all based on different tracks or track conditions.  I had a set of mud tires, but each time I used them on what looked like it was going to be a mud day turned out to be good track conditions by the time my first moto was up.

I try not to change much. It helps to keep the bike predictable during the races. I'll usually just drop a few psi for hard packed

Does anybody make any changes?

Edited by MXWarrior323

Does anybody make any changes?

Only changes I make are mapping changes and tire pressure. If Im riding REALLY deep sand I will stiffen the suspension up a tad.

In mud I stiffen the suspension up a few clicks while either sliding my wheel back or dropping some sag. I don't need a bike to handle as well in mud due to the slippery nature of mud. Tire pressure might change a bit but not much. I run two different compounds for front tires, one being slightly softer but unless the conditions are the worst of the worst I won't flip it on. Rear tire stays the same all year...

I run two different compounds for front tires, one being slightly softer but unless the conditions are the worst of the worst I won't flip it on. Rear tire stays the same all year...

Just out of curiosity, what are the two front tires you use? 

Just out of curiosity, what are the two front tires you use?

Goldentyre GT 213 front for 99% of my riding, a GT 216 if it ever got gnarly..... On the rear it's a GT 216 for all conditions...

I probably mess about too much......

I have a set of wheels with hardpack tyres on (MX71 Dunlops) and a set with inters (MX51 Dunlop) for varying conditions. The MX71's really are a god send on proper blue groove. I run between 8-12 psi on either set depending on conditions, whether there are stones in there, or varying soil types on one track.

I will change fork height, sag, and clickers depending on terrain, gearing depending on track, wheel base depending on track. I have airforks too, so might change air pressure depending on tracks too.

I HAVE to have the bike working well for me, i am under 140lbs on a 450 so cant man handle it like some people do, I have to rely on the bike doing what I want it to do.

I even have 2 holeshot device buttons for different starts, lots of grip i run it low, on grass, concrete or slippery starts i run it on the higher position, sometimes i dont use it atall......

I will most likely run Bridgestone M102 and M101 as next year race-tires for any tracks. Very rare the tracks are like dry hard packed for races as they can be during training in weekends when they dont put water on it. M203 and M204 for training will be used.

I change my rear shock between tracks i have to stand up a lot on, have a WP with US spec length (486mm) for sand, and the Ohlins (490mm) for hard packed. The 4mm shorter shock results in 12mm lower rear which actually means i can grip the bike better and have some more height since im 188cm long.

I also run more air in the tires on sand since it does not make any difference for grip if i run 0.85 or 1.0kg. On hard packed i run between 0.85-0.90.

I try not to mess with SAG or clickers to much.

Will maybe run my Ohlins fork on sand also instead of my WP that i right now prefer. Will do some testing this autumn. Not able to get the same feedback in the ohlins as the WP fork and thisis needed on hard packed slipper spots. Ohlins still kills WP in plushness and that is needed since the sand tracks get so beaten up during racing.

Edited by addeeriksson

I run Pirelli MX32's everywhere, year round. They work great in the sand, mud, loam and are perfectly fine in mid-hard pack situations as well. During the summers when there is no rain and the tracks are dry as a bone all day long, I'll tend to run a slightly different rear, maybe an MX eXtra or something of that variant, just to keep the wear down.

But outside of that, I rarely make any changes to the bike depending on the conditions. I find the Öhlins to work perfectly fine in every condition without making so much as a clicker adjustment.

Goldentyre GT 213 front for 99% of my riding, a GT 216 if it ever got gnarly..... On the rear it's a GT 216 for all conditions...

I've always wanted to try Goldentyre's, but the price of a single tire is about how much I get a SET of Pirelli's, Dunlop's or Bridgestone's for.

I wonder, are they cheaper in BC?

I've always wanted to try Goldentyre's, but the price of a single tire is about how much I get a SET of Pirelli's, Dunlop's or Bridgestone's for.

I wonder, are they cheaper in BC?

Yes, around the $100 mark for most people....

I'm by no means an experts but i ride mud like the sand.  I go in on the rebound about 2 clicks and stiffen up comp about 1 or 2 clicks.  I just started running Michelin SC 12 tires and i LOVE them.  I ride in very deep sand and they work great, I go to an intermediate track and they work great, today I ran in mud and again they worked really well.  I live these even better than the bridgestone 403/404 although I haven't ridden on hard pack yet.

If its really bad thick clay type mud then:

Suspension, i go a couple of clicks harder depending upon how tacky the mud is and how much of it is sticking to you and the bike.  Extreme cases like thick clay stuck to everything i'll add more pre-load too.

Tyres, i like to run intermediates (Pirelli MS23's & Michelin MH3's are good) but really as long as it has a good sharp leading edge then we're good to go.  Knobbly knifes are a good tool imo

Pressure, i'll drop from my standard 13psi to 11psi unless its a rock infested sht hole.  Pirelli's seem to have a softer carcass than most so they start at 14psi and drop to 12psi for mudAlternatively Maxxis are harder than most and so start softer....would love to try a tubiless set up.

General, properly clean the machine, apply tape to the underside of the fenders before liberally applying silicone to just about everything to help that thick stuff slide off and not build up so bad (makes clean up easier too).  Remove the tape in between moto's for fresh fenders. Alternative to silicone, go to the supermarket and pick up some budget aerosol cooking oil - costs less generally, goes further, works just as good.  Stuff open cell foam just about anywhere you can

As someone mentioned before i try to make the bike handle as close to "normal" as possible all year and by doing this in bad mud i find it helps even things up.  If its just "normal" mud then settings and approach rarely change

Edited by maximous35