Sign in to follow this  

Protection for the "boys..." Who wears a cup when riding?

Bought one but decided to return it, the thing is ridiculously uncomfortable. Having ridden enduro, sand, desert and woods the past 6 years I've never had the unfortunate experience of getting sacked. THANKFULLY! I was in a Big 5 yesterday buying a headlamp when that little voice said "you wear 20 pounds of protective gear when riding but nothing for "your junk"? I checked out the CUP SECTION, they range from 13-22 bucks, I got the most expensive one and it feels horrible, no way I could ever ride with something like that. I didn't even have to do a test ride.....not something you could just get used to.

Maybe your experience has been different? GO

20131010_074558.jpg

Can't say I would ever want to wear something like that will riding. I would imagine the mobility/chafing alone would be a nono. Plus, down there needs to breathe when your moving around so much on the seat!

I hit a leaves covered tree root at an angle, and I went down hard. My junk also hit the end of the handlebar. It really stung. I need to wrap some foam around the bar ends, somehow. A cup would be really good idea, but it would be really uncomfortable for long trail rides.

Edited by Terminatr

I know a guy who wears one. He actually was ran over years ago and literally crushed his genitals. He has to wear one if he's doing anything with a risk of being hit in that area. He's gotten used to it tho

You bought a cup, tired it on and returned it? I'd hate to be the guy who got it after you. :)

Haha I thought the same thing. You can take those back?

In the days of metal gas tanks and the seat stopped right at the tank a cup was almost mandatory. Kinda hurt when you ended up on the tank. Not to mention the lack of suspension in those days. It only took one creek crossing to teach you the importance. Now days the padding goes all the way to the gas cap thus making it less necessary. Yes they are damned uncomfortable until you experience the other option.

• Like 1

Let's see, I have a buddy that tore his scrotum on a foot peg when we were on 80's. Yeah he wasn't even on the track yet. He needed like 17 stitches.

Riding at an indoor track in Canada dad cased a double, crushed a nut, and had to pull off and started puking.

At a track I was teaching someone came up to a big double he didn't jump it so I hit the brakes to roll it, front dived and I nailed the gas cap.

All in all, it happens. It sucks, but it happens. To minimize it happening the best thing I found is wearing boxer briefs. The tight underwear holds the junk better and keeps the possibility of an issue down. It's a little uncomfortable at first, but it works. Another option is padded underwear. I can't remember who sells them, but they are out there. Some are specifically for MX. I haven't tried them to know how well they work. The same thing is sold at ski/ snowboard shops by different companies.

Hope it helps.

15 years of riding and haven't needed one yet.

I've needed it twice.  Racking the nuts huuurts like the devil, but squishing your dick against your gas tank while doing a 3rd gear digger in the desert hurts just as badly!!

But I was being stupid, both times.  I haven't needed protection for the yogurt slinger since 2004.. but my wife says we have two kids now, she no longer needs it anyway.

• Like 1

You bought a cup, tired it on and returned it? I'd hate to be the guy who got it after you. :)

Especially from a guy with "crab"s in his name.

• Like 1

I feel like a cup would chafe my junk area while riding.  I am a very tall rider so when I am standing on the pegs my junk is way above the bars and is without a doubt vulnerable to taking some roost off the nuts but I still have yet to have an issue.  I don't want kids anyway so even if it happens....no big deal.  Shake it off and keep riding. 

I've thought about it i've slammed them on the tank more than once. The worst time was trail riding, bike kicked up from something, probably a root or rock, and they were just dangling like a perfect target and the tank smacked them pretty hard. I will never forget that because I had to pull over and stop and walk it off for 15 minutes while giggling about the goofiness of the situation but not really giggling because it hurt so bad. Also would come in mega handy on rough landings/casing when you keep your legs loose and break the fall between your legs on the seat.