moving up from yz85 to a ktm?

I currently have a 06 yz 85 and am looking to move up to a more trail orientated bike. I am thinking a ktm 125 or 150 ex or exc. I am around 115 pounds, 5,6 16 years old. which bike do you think would be best for me or are there other options as for me as well? I am a pretty expirienced rider on my 85 riding mostly trails and desert but would want a bike that is OK for moto ass well. thanks.

KTM 150xc all the way. Great bike and you would still be able to have fun on the moto tracks occasionally.

I currently have a 06 yz 85 and am looking to move up to a more trail orientated bike. I am thinking a ktm 125 or 150 ex or exc. I am around 115 pounds, 5,6 16 years old. which bike do you think would be best for me or are there other options as for me as well? I am a pretty expirienced rider on my 85 riding mostly trails and desert but would want a bike that is OK for moto ass well. thanks.

Ktm 200

+1 on the 200. Get an xc if you plan on doing motocross too. The xc-w does ok on an mx track, but the suspension is not at all meant for mx

would a 200 be too big of a step up form an 85 though?

would a 200 be too big of a step up form an 85 though?

I did that from a CR85. I was fine, the 200 is easier to ride if you're too big for the 80.

So you guys think the 200 is fine and i should choose it because it is a better bike than the 150 or 125? If i do get a 200 i should get the ex or ex-w?

RE: 200 over the other sizes - the 200 just has more torque and rideability than the others, so easier/better for trail use, it can bite though if you gooner the throttle often :blush:  (not as much as a 250 though). 

We don't get those XC's and XC-W's here so cannot comment, other than XC-W has a wide ratio gearbox. All non linkage KTMs will handle jumps and bumps differently to the YZ, you get used to it.

But it seems some can't.....

Okay one last question. What would be an ok price for a used one and what years should i look for. Prices for the years i mean.

KTM 200 doesnt come in XC (semi close ratio transmission) only XC-W and EXC (wide ratio trans).  150XC does not come in XC-W or EXC.  As someone said above the XC by KTM is made to bridge the gap between motocross (the SX models) and enduro/trail (the XC-W) models.  My preference is the XC-W or wide ratio models for trail riding he in Colorado.  I imagine NM is very similar (at least Northern NM), but then again....I dont ride MX tracks).

Look in www.kbb.com/motorcycles and www.nadaguides.com/motorcycles for used pricing information for your area.

At 5'6" you are just on the cusp of moving from something like a KX100 to a full size bike like KTM 150XC or KTM 200 XC-W.  You might have to look into lowering the suspension and shaving the seat.  I dont believe these KTM's had a rear linkage type of shock where you can use a lowering link.  Or maybe by the time you find one...you will have grown a couple inches.

Okay thanks alot since it is winter by the time i get one it will and start to really ride it will be spring so i think it will be okay. thanks for all the help.