Sign in to follow this  

Is it normal for spokes to have a very faint curve?

Discovered my spokes were all pretty loose after a day of riding.  Tightened them up not knowing what I was doing (I didn't skip any as I tightened them, I tightened them all in a row).  I got some tires put on by a shop yesterday because I had no time to do them myself.  I asked if they true the wheel when they swap tires and was told "only if they notice the wheel was untrue".  I was looking at my spokes when I got home and they appear to all be very faintly curved.  Is this normal?  I can hardly tell the faint curve is there, but I think it is.  Also out of the several I checked, they all seemed to be touching another spoke near the hub side.  Is that normal too?

'Bent' spokes is not correct

Yes, it is possible for the spokes to touch each other as they cross.

If they are bent, are spokes able to be replaced without replacing the rim?

If you're looking past the wheel, yes the spokes will curve slightly as they are touching one another. If you are looking at it from the side, then no they shouldn't curve!

If they are bent, are spokes able to be replaced without replacing the rim?

The only way for them to bend is if it warps the center section of the rim. If that's the case, I'd replace the rim too.

If you're looking past the wheel, yes the spokes will curve slightly as they are touching one another. If you are looking at it from the side, then no they shouldn't curve!

The only way for them to bend is if it warps the center section of the rim. If that's the case, I'd replace the rim too.

This makes sense, I was looking past the wheel, not looking at it from the side.  If I look from the side they appear to all be straight.  Think they are okay then?

Put it on a truing stand or on the bike without the chain. Spin it and see of the wheel wobbles. It probably will a slight amount, but if it's like a 1/4" in any direction I'd start with adjusting spokes unless you can see a flat spot in the rim.

All hubs mounted by spokes actually hang from the upper spokes. So they should not be bent. The strength of the spoke is in its tensile strength. Your bike hangs from the top of the rim.. A true wheel sure rides nice, so make sure you get that right. Spoke replacement is pretty easy. I have had good luck with accel spline drives. I just replace them one at a time. Cut the old ones off with a grinder and steady hand, one at a time. Easy.

Hope this helps.