why so expensive?!

So i figured that California would be on the expensive end for everything so i've been putting off buying new tires since the ones i have are fine for now. I just didnt realize until recently the PO put a 150 70 on the back.I think thats probably why it feels weird when i turn. But i thought i'd wait until i get to alabama and get my tires changed when these wear out more. In ca i've found a place that does tires for $10 each if they're off the bike. The expensive place is $20 each. I just callled 2 places in alabama and they want $33 and $40 PER tire off the bike. When i told the place thats $33 that it was expensive he said, "we're the cheapest in the region".

&%$#@!? seriously? is this what i have to look forward to? if i ever had to have them do an oil change for some reason would i have to save up for a year? i'd hate to find out what it would cost to do a top end on my other bike. i could just spend the money on stuff to change tires myself and take their business away on the weekends...

Edited by jawknee21

Wow CA is really cheap or we are all getting ripped off.

My local dealer, from whom I bought my Z, is charging me a 'discounted' rate of $38.50 to put my new XCMHs on since I bought the tires through them. It would be more than that if I had bought the tires online and then had them changed.

My dealer sees changing tires as a labor type job vs. a simple tire change and balance like on a car. I dunno...I am still a noob with this stuff and I know changing dirt bike tires is a little more involved but damn its expensive. I can put a 28" ATV tire on by myself but they don't require tubes >_>

I guess there is no better time to learn to change the Z's tires than now...

Buy a set of tire spoons and do it yourself. I picked up two for about 30 bucks and so far have already used them twice. So basically if a tire change costs 40 bucks, they have paid for themselves already. If you can take the wheel off the bike then changing a tire won't be any harder. Just take your time.

• Like 2

Buy a set of tire spoons and do it yourself. I picked up two for about 30 bucks and so far have already used them twice. So basically if a tire change costs 40 bucks, they have paid for themselves already. If you can take the wheel off the bike then changing a tire won't be any harder. Just take your time.

Ouch $66 - $80 hurts and with 2 bikes, that is even more reason to do your own mounting.  It is not that difficult when you have decent irons.   Rim protectors like these are a good investment also... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bikemaster-2-Piece-Tire-Mounting-Wheel-Rim-Protector-/331031430252?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item4d1302c46c&vxp=mtr  There are plenty of you tube videos for tire mounting... (hell, there are you tube videos for just about everything...)  Dealing with the tubes is a bit of a hassle and it helps to keep a good spare tube for front and rear available.  It also helps to change the tires after letting them sit in the sun for a while so they can warm up. 

I do my own balancing with a couple of very loose bearings, 2 jack stands and an axle, it is not fancy but it works well.  Doing a decent static balance works fine and it does not take long to do it. There are videos for DIY balancing also...  I use automotive stick-on weights and just paint them black.  

• Like 1

local shop does it for free if you buy the tires there. and their pricing on tires is very competitive. but alas, i buy take offs and do it myself. yes, i'm that cheap.

I wouldn't call that cheap. I keep my old tires if they have life left as one might be handy to have in a pinch or if a buddy needed a cheap replacement.

I also do my own tire service. Few bucks invested into the proper tools gives me a lifetime of cheap labor (my own time).

I've gotten pretty good at changing tires and have even done a few for some friends. Doing the basics yourself saves time and money and you don't have to wait for a shop to get to your stuff while you sit and stare your disabled DRZ.

wow some of these prices are insane! i just recently had my tires changed without buying them from the shop and bringing in just the wheels was 20 a piece! 75 bucks for a rear!!!???? geeze you guys are ripping the hell out of people huh? thats crazy! i guess seeing all this makes me feel pretty darn good for paying 40 bucks for both my tires to be changed! 

We charge 75 bucks to change a rear and 45 for a front. Thats us pilli

jawknee why the cross country move? (if you dont mind me asking)

• Like 1

wow some of these prices are insane! i just recently had my tires changed without buying them from the shop and bringing in just the wheels was 20 a piece! 75 bucks for a rear!!!???? geeze you guys are ripping the hell out of people huh? thats crazy! i guess seeing all this makes me feel pretty darn good for paying 40 bucks for both my tires to be changed!

Ever pull a full dresser rear?

http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-tire-changer-69686.html

Will pay for itself with two tires. I'd get one if I didn't work at a shop.

The referenced tire changer won't work on motorcycle wheels.  If anyone wants one, I have one that I'd be happy to trade for a six pack of beer, or maybe even just one beer.

Going to ft rucker alabama for flight school.

I should be making a little more money but i hope i dont get too busy to worry about money anymore. I dont want to pay $70 to put on tires when I know how much other people charge. So tire irons and a stand to balance the wheel. What else do I need? Extra tubes? I want a set of continentals but probably going to stay with pilot powers.

Edited by jawknee21

So i figured that California would be on the expensive end for everything so i've been putting off buying new tires since the ones i have are fine for now. I just didnt realize until recently the PO put a 150 70 on the back.I think thats probably why it feels weird when i turn. But i thought i'd wait until i get to alabama and get my tires changed when these wear out more. In ca i've found a place that does tires for $10 each if they're off the bike. The expensive place is $20 each. I just callled 2 places in alabama and they want $33 and $40 PER tire off the bike. When i told the place thats $33 that it was expensive he said, "we're the cheapest in the region".

&%$#@!? seriously? is this what i have to look forward to? if i ever had to have them do an oil change for some reason would i have to save up for a year? i'd hate to find out what it would cost to do a top end on my other bike. i could just spend the money on stuff to change tires myself and take their business away on the weekends...

you get to b'ham and i'll spoon your first set on for ya for free, show ya some roads, and find a place for some good bbq. 

if that's not a welcome, i don't know what is. 

(check out amgrass, greenpondmotorsports, bamarides, motoace, dirtbikesupply, barbers, AL-25, lock 17 road, ........ so much more)

Edited by ohgood
  • Like 4