Another Battery Question

I have a 2002 drz400s with starting issues.  I went to start it the other day, started ok, I put the choke in too early and it stalled.  Tried to restart on only got clicking from Starter Relay.  Jumped power and starter cable on relay and got motor to turn over a few times.  Replaced Starter Relay with new one, same problem, starter kicked over a few time on first attempt, then only clicking.  I took starter out, disassembled, cleaned out, (didn't look that bad and armature and communicators tested ok) put back together then noticed if I checked continuity between starter motor positive connector and starter motor body I got a beep. (continuity....shorted )  I thought the body of the starter motor was ground, and asked that question on this site, and one reply said that is not right and bad starter motor.  Replaced starter motor with new one,  still same problem, starter motor will kick over on first attempt for a few rotations then just get starter relay click.  I also checked to see if starter motor positive shorted to starter motor body and it does.  That still kinda confuses me because + and - short out when you engage starter, but that seems to be how it works.  My last option is replacing the battery which seems to be the problem from the start, I'm hoping someone could confirm this.  I notice when I hook up volt meter to battery I get 13.6 V  turn ignition on and drops to 12.6v and when I press starter button it drops below 11.8v  The battery is about 3 years old, and I don't get much ride time on it, but do keep it on a tender.  Any ideas from people would be appreciated. I was going to get a Ballistic EVO2 8 cell and would like also to get any opinions on that battery if anyone has one.  thanks 

Hook up  jumper from a known good battery? That will stabilize the voltage.

The voltages sound marginally OK to me, but was that the reading when the engine was cranking or just when the starter relay 'clicked'?

Edited by shuswap1

I am far from an electrical expert, so I could be wrong but if your starter motor and relay are checking out ok, it is one of 2 things.

First up, get your battery load tested and second I would be checking your earths, battery negative to ground, corrosion can cause a bad earth and is only apparent when you need full juice as in when you're trying to start.

As you have already been messing with the starter and relay, I'm guessing these connections and cables are ok.

I went through all the wiring and removed main ground and cleaned up and replaced.  everything seemed ok, and yes on the voltage reading, the 11.8 was while cranking.....actually no starter motor movement, just starter relay click. 

I went through all the wiring and removed main ground and cleaned up and replaced.  everything seemed ok, and yes on the voltage reading, the 11.8 was while cranking.....actually no starter motor movement, just starter relay click. 

In which case I would be replacing the battery.

Pull the battery out and take it to where you purchase your new one.

Get them to load test it before you buy the new one.

For example, I replaced the battery in my road bike yesterday.

The old battery was still starting the bike but at 5 years old and a big trip coming up I replaced it to be on the safe side.

They load tested my old one @155CCA the new one in comparison tested @330CCA.

Your battery sounds like it does not have enough juice to even fire up the relay let alone the starter. 

then noticed if I checked continuity between starter motor positive connector and starter motor body I got a beep. (continuity....shorted )  I thought the body of the starter motor was ground, and asked that question on this site, and one reply said that is not right and bad starter motor.  Replaced starter motor with new one,  still same problem,

the starter and brushes like a light bulb make a complete circuit so it will show continuity between the case and the positive lead

take a lead straight from the battery to the starter just make sure it's in neutral 

if it doesn't crank check the ground and try again   if you can't get it to spin the starter is bad  ( you may have done this  but your description lost me )

if it does crank

your  you have a wiring issue / relay  could be suspect but you changed that 

or a battery problem but if it's showing 11.8 the relay should activate  and either turn the starter or put a huge load on the battery

Edited by Zimman

I agree with your conclusion Black DRZ and thanks everyone for their input ;)  I over thought this one......like I seem to do more often than not!!  Battery is 3 years old, it did give me issues on a recharge in the past,  and I don't put enough riding time on it...thanks again everyone for their help.  Phil