Sign in to follow this  

how to get into hillclimb racing

I was looking into racing hillclimbs. i would like to start with either a kx250f or kx450f, but leaning towards a 250f, as i am only 15. what would be better? what gearing should i use? I was thinking a smaller counter sprocket and a smaller rear sprocket. I would like to get a lowering link and a shaved seat, just for extra control over the bike. what bars would work better, high or low? I would do the standard swingarm extension, killswitch, etc. would removing the front brake be a good idea? And also, do they usually do hillclimbs in first or second gear? Best knobby tires?

Go online to NAHA there will be an event schedule and registration. http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/ .I run a 18 wheel with an irc m5b tire but the class you want to run will have specific rules.all your other questions will be answered in the rule book. If your running stock class thats just that for other set up walk through the pit and see what gears and swing arm length your competitors are running. Its been ten years since I raced and then is was domanated by cr500s

Edited by mec500