Need quick advice on Bike Purchase: 1999 XR600R

OK here's the deal, I have been officially infected with the sickness:  I am looking at a second thumper. 

here's the specs:

claimed 1999 XR600R. no way for me to verify. I don't know where to look.

Self Paint Job. looks terrible

Rack, Shark Fin, aftermarket computer ( broke), LIght kit

I went and took it for a spin, started right up, sounded good, no upper head noise, oil looks clean (honey colored which bothers me, probably a fresh change. usually expect black)

shifts fine, plenty of torque.

here's the issues:

THAT PAINT JOB.  holy moses.  easily fixed.

Left side of engine head, two fins broken off. can see it in the pictures

Right side of engine, tons of sealant goop around the front right part of the cover.  looks like it was just smeared on there.

chain is loose but adjustable

lots of oil around the front sprocket on shaft. He says it comes from oil draining into the skid plate. there is no hole in the plate and it was full of oil. could just be spray from the pan.

I looked on the ground and there are no drips on the floor, so it's not leaking. In 45 minutes looking at the bike there were no drips.

he wants 1000,  I thnk I can get it for 700-800. he's moving and running out of time, and honestly, it looks like CRAP with that paint.   but that's easy to fix...

what's the general opinion?

Screen Shot 2013-10-10 at 1.23.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-10-10 at 1.23.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-10-10 at 1.23.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-10-10 at 1.23.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-10-10 at 1.24.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-10-10 at 1.24.10 PM.png

Edited by goneballistic

Yes it can become a serious problem when you get hooked..I just purchased another FCR carb,,07 KXF250..37mm..Do I need it ,,No but for 50 I couldn't let it go..Choke knobs worth more than that new and I need one so ,,bang,,purchase..

Bike looks fine to me but I'm always going to say that as we pay double at least what you guys pay for bikes.

The gunk round the right front cover probably just means it was leaking some oil around the pulse genny wires,,He maybe used a quick messy fix with goo..

Oil in the bashplate,,dunno,,maybe the countershaft seals leaking..easy fix..Then again it maybe leaking through the center crank gasket,,fixable easily,,possibly..Did you check the splines on the countershaft to make sure they aren't all worn out??,,that is a crank case split job to fix.

Yeah the paints and easy fix,,Remove with stripper and clean the rest of the stuff left off with a blade from a window scraper,,sand,,apply heat..new look..

Couple of broken fins,,who cares,,clean them up with a file..

On the right side of the carb there's a number indented on it,,get that and we can probably id the year or close to it..

Frame number on the right front of the frame headstock can also be used for iding the year..

Edited by Horri

he wants 1000,  I thnk I can get it for 700-800. he's moving and running out of time, and honestly, it looks like CRAP with that paint.   but that's easy to fix...

If you're set on getting it for cheaper than what he's asking, go there with the amount of cash you are willing to pay, show it to him when you're making your offer, and be willing to walk away if he's still not interested.

What's it really worth?  Personally I hate to screw people out of a few hundred bucks when they offer a bike at a fair deal.  When I bought my 2001 I was ready to talk the guy down, but after riding it I decided that it was worth what he was asking, so I was happy to pay the full price.  When I bought the 1994 a couple of months ago, I didn't bargain because it was a good price, but the seller talked himself down another hundred when I told him I wanted the bike.  In that case I wasn't really going to talk him back to a higher price.

Bike is rough.  Buy it for salvage value which is about $600, and then if it runs for a while, great! 

Seems to be good, that paint will be a b***h to get off and looking somewhat decent. headgaskets and topend doesn't appear to be leaking, left fork seal is though. Why do people spray paint plastic ????? It never, ever, ever ,ever, ever looks good !!

Edited by jjktmrider

he's not budging,  he says he's got enough interest he's doesn't want to drop. he's had it up 10 days now so I'm probably going to wait and see.

Everyone has interest.  We call them tire kickers.  

Just keep an eye on it and see what happens.  I have gone to guys who recently posted a bike and said the price was firm.  I went back a few weeks later and, oddly enough, the price came down.  Between me you and the fence post, a grand seems a little high.

The oily mess on the left side could be a leaking countershaft seal or a leaking gromet around the stator wires.  Neither is a big deal.  If the goopy RTV on the right is around the pulse generator wires, that's also comon and not a big deal.

Does it have an aftermarket stator to power the street lights?

In Utah, is a street legal title a special thing?  If so, and this has it, that's worth a price premium.  Around me, a street titled frame can be worth $500 or more depending on the model.

Only thing i would check is the countershaft splines to see if they are worn,,,,,,,,and while there check if he had a chain let go and punch a hole of crack the case causing that oil leak..........if that`s good,,pulling the valve cover and installing a new gasket and installing a countershaft seal is a cakewalk........and who cares about plastic,,ride it awhile and if you still like it get new plastics...

B

Speaking of paint...  That bike would be a good candidate to do something like this to:

CamoXRL_zpsa3f6424d.jpg

It would be right at home in many parts of Utah.