Sign in to follow this  

Multiple tibial plateau fractures

My first riding season and I ended it with a snap.
We were riding as a family at Walker, with Hubby and Little Boy in the front, our older son in the middle, and me in the back. Around 2:10pm, We were on a road, when the Big Boy stopped suddenly. I have a huge fear of running over him, so I panicked and grabbed a big ol' handful of front brake (cuz I'm smart and a noob). I dumped my bike, slid across the road about 3-4 feet, and got back on.
I decided I was going to pass the Big Boy and tell Hubby we need to stop and rehash the importance of not suddenly stopping for no reason. I caught back up to the Big Boy and was about to pass him, when he moved to the center of the road and STOPPED AGAIN!
I guess I no longer get to put "fast learner" on my resumes, because I didn't learn and grabbed another handful of front brakes. This time, when the front wheel went out, it was more violent and apparently, I Hulk-Stomped the ground as the bike hit me as I was dismounting the falling beast.
As soon as my whole body was on thew ground, I grabbed my leg and started swearing and rolling onto my back. Hubby got Little Boy off his bike and ran to me. He asked where it it hurt and took off the bottom half of my pant leg and my boot. It was already starting to swell, so he popped out the ice pack in the first aid bag and wrapped an elastic bandage on it.
But how to get me back to the car? We were a mile from the gate, so Hubby couldn't just go get the car and bring it directly to me. We hobbled me back onto my bike, the he put Little Boy on the gas tank and we rode to the gate this way, hoping my leg didn't make contact with the ground. He dropped us at the gate, ferried back to his now abandoned bike sitting on Big Boy's TTR50 with him (thank you to the guys who gave him a lift on a full sized bike!). Once we were all at the gate with everything we came with, Hubby ditched all of us and hauled off back to the car to load his bike and pick us up.
We went to Cascade Valley ER, where they confirmed that not only was my tibia broken, it was broken bad. Fractures go up and side to side, all over the ball of the bone My kneecap was shoved out of alignment. They told me I needed surgery and that I was going to Harborview via ambulance. So I did.
I had surgery Monday afternoon at 3pm, I now have a plate and screws in my knee, but escaped getting donated bone grafts. I finally got to leave the hospital last night (Wednesday).
I have delivered two big headed babies without meds. I got a nasty dog bite and thought it was was the worst pain in my life, being a 10 on the pain scale. Nope. Shattered tibial plateau hurts WAY more, and the high level of pain lasts longer.
If I could manage to get to the scanner, I'd post pics of my x-rays, but I'm not getting off my bed.

My first riding season and I ended it with a snap.

We were riding as a family at Walker, with Hubby and Little Boy in the front, our older son in the middle, and me in the back. Around 2:10pm, We were on a road, when the Big Boy stopped suddenly. I have a huge fear of running over him, so I panicked and grabbed a big ol' handful of front brake (cuz I'm smart and a noob). I dumped my bike, slid across the road about 3-4 feet, and got back on.

I decided I was going to pass the Big Boy and tell Hubby we need to stop and rehash the importance of not suddenly stopping for no reason. I caught back up to the Big Boy and was about to pass him, when he moved to the center of the road and STOPPED AGAIN!

I guess I no longer get to put "fast learner" on my resumes, because I didn't learn and grabbed another handful of front brakes. This time, when the front wheel went out, it was more violent and apparently, I Hulk-Stomped the ground as the bike hit me as I was dismounting the falling beast.

As soon as my whole body was on thew ground, I grabbed my leg and started swearing and rolling onto my back. Hubby got Little Boy off his bike and ran to me. He asked where it it hurt and took off the bottom half of my pant leg and my boot. It was already starting to swell, so he popped out the ice pack in the first aid bag and wrapped an elastic bandage on it.

But how to get me back to the car? We were a mile from the gate, so Hubby couldn't just go get the car and bring it directly to me. We hobbled me back onto my bike, the he put Little Boy on the gas tank and we rode to the gate this way, hoping my leg didn't make contact with the ground. He dropped us at the gate, ferried back to his now abandoned bike sitting on Big Boy's TTR50 with him (thank you to the guys who gave him a lift on a full sized bike!). Once we were all at the gate with everything we came with, Hubby ditched all of us and hauled off back to the car to load his bike and pick us up.

We went to Cascade Valley ER, where they confirmed that not only was my tibia broken, it was broken bad. Fractures go up and side to side, all over the ball of the bone My kneecap was shoved out of alignment. They told me I needed surgery and that I was going to Harborview via ambulance. So I did.

I had surgery Monday afternoon at 3pm, I now have a plate and screws in my knee, but escaped getting donated bone grafts. I finally got to leave the hospital last night (Wednesday).

I have delivered two big headed babies without meds. I got a nasty dog bite and thought it was was the worst pain in my life, being a 10 on the pain scale. Nope. Shattered tibial plateau hurts WAY more, and the high level of pain lasts longer.

If I could manage to get to the scanner, I'd post pics of my x-rays, but I'm not getting off my bed.

Sorry to hear you got hurt so bad during a ride with the family.

I suffered a compound  fracture to my right tibia and fibia when I came up short on a triple jump. I was in a full cast for 3 months, half cast for another 2 months, then a plastic functional half cast for 2 months. Very long and painful injury, I was not able to ride my bike for over a year, due to me not being able to kickstart the bike with my right leg being broke.

Long story short, I healed up fine and been back on the bike like I was never away from it. Hopefully you will fully recover soon and get back out on the trails with the family. You've got to learn to stay away from that front break until you learn how and when to use it. Focus on the rear foot break more when you start back riding.

Hope you are feeling a little better since your accident. 

Keep us posted on your recovery process.

JL