Sign in to follow this  

One for 300RR owners

Hi all... just dropping by from the Suzuki 2-Stroke forum. I had a ride on a 2014 300RR demo bike last weekend and was pretty impressed, and with Suzuki not making 2 strokes any more I need an alternative, though not particularly urgently. I've never met anyone who actually owns a 300RR so would appreciate any feedback from you guys. I'm looking at using it for enduros and H&H events, at decent intermediate level.

So how are you 300RR owners getting on with them - what's the ownership experience like- what reliability, durability, any mods you've needed, how much are spares like piston kits, what kind of going/events/courses does it work well on & not so, is it really a bit slow at the top end like one test I read suggested, are you getting better results on it than on your last bike, etc etc... any info really will be useful to guide me. 

Thanks in advance

I love mine, think it's the best off road bike I've ever owned... Of course I would have told you that about my GasGas 300 a year and a half ago. But a large number of people are coming from GG, some previous KTM and other owners too. Have you been to this site? Lots of good info here, including some input from the UK:

http://www.betarider.org/forum/

Seems some of the early ones had a rear brake disc that was too soft, some will tell you to get the race version for it's superior suspension, while others get along fine with the standard suspension in stock form. Some, like myself, find the stock ones modified by a tuner work best for them. Overall my bike has been bulletproof. Not nearly as pretty as when it was new but I did not get it to look at... Have you checked out Beta's byob program? Possible that's stateside only, don't know.

http://www.americanbeta.com

And lastly here's a video from someone you might recognize, after all Graham Jarvis can't have all the recognition now can he?

http://www.americanbeta.com/node/1717

lovin mine!! no issues except rear brake wearing too fast-must be an early one.

The bike was set up just about perfectly from the factory, so very little needed in the way of initial setup.  Normal armour is needed, but the engine and suspension need nothing-I have the sachs both ends, and it works great for me, though, as with any bike, get it set up for your size/style. 

I am not a racer of any kind: trail rider in rooty, rutty, muddy woods of eastern can..  I find the bike just about perfect: power is very controllable, and there is lots of it, gearing is a little tall for the tightest stuff, but the engine has enough torque that I don't find it a problem, even clearing logs at a walking pace in 1st or 2nd gear.  It is stall-proof, with lots of fly-wheel. The suspension springs are a bit soft for me at 200lbs, but I haven't changed them yet, as they are surprisingly close to what I need: suspect a set of heavier springs both ends, and a change of fluid will get me right on.

Edited by drzrobbcanuck
  • Like 1

I have only rode my 14 300rr once so far and it was in the tight root and rock stuff. It is an amazing bike and the motor is amazing, almost an electric feel. Just dial what you need and it delivers. The electric start works great to. Mine is equiped with Rekluse EXP Core, Scotts damper and LHRB. As for parts available I did destroy a shift lever my first ride(my fault). That was on a Saturday and I had a new one in my hand that Wednesday. I have to give the 300rr a :thumbsup:

just re-read the original post and realized I didn't actually answer some of the questions I could have:

reliability: perfect-nothing broken in 1000+km.  Maintenance is easier than most other bikes in the class, and no more is needed, less than some.

Parts price and availability is great: beta prices are good and all reports are they ship fast and accurately-I haven't needed anything yet, so no idea personally.  just ordered my first part today: brake disk.  There are some cross-over parts available.

Top end: (High revs?): pulls hard all the way to a scream-easily outpulls a friends's gasgas, especially on top end.  (high speeds?): tops out somewhere around 140-150kmh I think-never found top end.  It is lots fast enough, and pulls hard all the way to at least 140km/h-doesn't fall off early, and doesn't sacrifice bottom end getting that top end pull.  The engine is perfect: the top of the class.

Bike loves mud!  Mine at least seems happiest when in a deep muddy rut heading toward a waterhole barely in control with a big rooster tail shooting out the back: it seems to scream with glee WHEEEEEE :)  But any place where steering agility and instant-on power a important, it excels, far beyond other bikes of the class I have ridden.

I have only rode my 14 300rr once so far and it was in the tight root and rock stuff. It is an amazing bike and the motor is amazing, almost an electric feel. Just dial what you need and it delivers. The electric start works great to. Mine is equiped with Rekluse EXP Core, Scotts damper and LHRB. As for parts available I did destroy a shift lever my first ride(my fault). That was on a Saturday and I had a new one in my hand that Wednesday. I have to give the 300rr a :thumbsup:

Enduroguy; I would be interested in seeing your LHRB set-up if you could post up a picture. I was always going to do that on my Yamaha and use the small attachment lever to operate the clutch, but that was with a cable pull. I know some of the KTM guys just eliminated the clutch lever, but I do a few motos a year and want the clutch control for various reasons other than just the start.

Enduroguy; I would be interested in seeing your LHRB set-up if you could post up a picture. I was always going to do that on my Yamaha and use the small attachment lever to operate the clutch, but that was with a cable pull. I know some of the KTM guys just eliminated the clutch lever, but I do a few motos a year and want the clutch control for various reasons other than just the start.

I did remove the clutch lever on my KTM with Z start pro and its fine but did miss the clutch sometimes. Here is my set up on the 300rr.

beta2_zps3be293f0.jpg

betascotts_zps83333e26.jpg

• Like 2

Enduroguy In case you haven't noticed, I have to mention that you can remove the turn signals part of your LHS switch combo.

Nice clean setup on handlebars but could you post a closer photo of the hanflebar mount?

Does it comes with some kind of elastomers?

Enduroguy In case you haven't noticed, I have to mention that you can remove the turn signals part of your LHS switch combo.

Nice clean setup on handlebars but could you post a closer photo of the hanflebar mount?

Does it comes with some kind of elastomers?

Ill have to post pics later, thats all I have for now. It is plated and I will be adding some tough or SAR flush mount blinkers later. Thanks for the advice though.

Thanks for the pictures, so how many toothbrushes do you go through in a cleaning? I have the pro zstart on my YZ and have been happy with it, I hear varying reports on the EXP; but I have not asked as to whether it is the expensive one or the not so expensive.

Thanks for the pictures, so how many toothbrushes do you go through in a cleaning? I have the pro zstart on my YZ and have been happy with it, I hear varying reports on the EXP; but I have not asked as to whether it is the expensive one or the not so expensive.

It don't look like that now, The pics were of the bike brand new a week ago. wish I could have kept it looking like that. The clutch action with exp-core is as if it were stock but works like the z pro when you get lazy or need it. I have nothing but good things to say about the z start pro but they dont make one for Beta.

Thanks for all the info guys - most appreciated. The one I rode had the Sachs suspension and I thought the front end in particular was absolutely brilliant, and yes the engine is a real peach too - although I didn't get a chance to try out it's high speed ability so it is reassuring to hear it's more than sufficient, as some events here are pretty quick indeed. I'll check into a BYOB programme too but straight from the crate in standard spec it seemed aok anyway. Good news about the rest, and yes that Paul Eddy vid is awesome - I certainly recognise him, indeed I've had the honour of riding in many of the same events as him, however at an entirely different pace! 

Thanks again

Tom I don't even remember when my bike looked that pretty. You should have bought two, one to ride and one to keep in the living room! Tim2007 most of the byob stuff, that I got anyway, is protection or minor component upgrades. You would need to be pretty familiar with the bike to even know which parts weren't stock...

Good to see U finally got your new Beta! I got mine a Frank's Motor Bikes too. He was great to deal with. Love my '14 300rr!  Would eventually like to get the lhrb also. Is your the Rekluse brand? Let us know how it works and holds up? Thanks, Bob. I am also seriously considering the Twisted Engineering flex bars. At almost 64 years my wrists, shoulders, hands are in need of a little more cush.

I had BYOB add the Rekluse EXP core and Rekluse LHRB. Nice to have the clutch lever back. I removed the clutch lever and just ran a LHRB in its place on my 530 and 200exc that run the rekluse z start pro. Sure nice for those tight RH switch backs and real nasty drops. Also with the rekluse you will free wheel in gear so bulldoging is easier with the LHRB. All that and Im 50 now so I welcome the help  :doh:

Edited by Enduroguy

Yep, bulldogging and getting stuck on a steep hill and having to turn around with only the front brake, which doesn't want to hold.Do U find that the Rekluse lhrb works as well as the foot rear brake?

Hi all... just dropping by from the Suzuki 2-Stroke forum. I had a ride on a 2014 300RR demo bike last weekend and was pretty impressed, and with Suzuki not making 2 strokes any more I need an alternative, though not particularly urgently. I've never met anyone who actually owns a 300RR so would appreciate any feedback from you guys. I'm looking at using it for enduros and H&H events, at decent intermediate level.

So how are you 300RR owners getting on with them - what's the ownership experience like- what reliability, durability, any mods you've needed, how much are spares like piston kits, what kind of going/events/courses does it work well on & not so, is it really a bit slow at the top end like one test I read suggested, are you getting better results on it than on your last bike, etc etc... any info really will be useful to guide me. 

Thanks in advance

The Beta 300rr is the best bike I've ever owned and I've owned them all! I raced a 2013 Beta300rr all season and ended up with a championship in tha AMA Western hare scramble series, A vet class. I started out the season with an absolute stock bike, had never even ridden it prior to the first race. I am 6'6 and 250 pounds, over. The coarse of the season I made the following modifications:

1. Suspension- .48 front springs and 5.6 rear spring. Ended up having Precision Concepts revalve the fork but left shock stock valving.

2. Motor- I took a Leo Vince silencer from a Gasgas and cut the inlet of the stock fmf and fabbed it on to the gasser leo can.  I run the powervalve adjuster all the way out.

3. Carburetor-  The stock carb was good but it always had a bit of a rich condition just above idle that could not be corrected even with the leanest Keihin 35 pilot, probably needed a leaner strait diameter needle.  With the stock tank being ridiculously small I decided to bolt on a 36mm Lectron carb to try and get better mileage out of a tank of gas.  The mileage greatly improved to  allow me to get 50 race miles prior to pitting.  The carb took an already smooth bike and turned it into the smoothest bike I could imagine, really worked great and no more packing jets around because the carb is so adjustable.

4.  Ergonomics- This bike is very adjustable for different size riders.  I ran the stock bars in the forward most position and installed a 10mm bar riser from American Beta.  Also installed a Guts tall seat foam and black gripper cover.

5.  Bash protection-  I used the American Beta skid plate only after I destroyed the stock plastic one.  Moose, full wrap handguards.

6.  Tires-  I put on my personal prefferance of Bridgestone 403/404 combo after I wore out the stock dot's that didn't work half bad.

That's it.  The fewest mods Ive ever made to a bike to make it work for me, even at my freakish size.  The chain and sprockets are even in good shape still.  I cant believe the quality, ease of maintenance and function of this bike.  I like it so much I just bought another 2013 that Im setting up just like it since a buddy of mine rode my bike and had to have it, paid cash.  Here is a pic of the new one but I did buy a 2014 tank for it.  The 2013 tank is the only complaint I have about that bike.  GO BUY ONE!!!!!  You wont be disappointed.

010.JPG

Edited by tnttimber
  • Like 1

I did remove the clutch lever on my KTM with Z start pro and its fine but did miss the clutch sometimes. Here is my set up on the 300rr.

beta2_zps3be293f0.jpg

betascotts_zps83333e26.jpg

I don't have the 300 but here is my LHRB setup in case you decide to dual sport it. The stock combo switch was just a tad to wide. So I got a narrow one and wired the light to be on/off only.

100_3077.jpg

file_zps471a5a85.jpg