drz newbie, headlight sucks

well i just got back into the dirt after 10 years.

during my time off i have became an avid mountain biker and really fallen in love with night riding due to lower tempatures.

This crosses over to dirt biking as well, but i find that the headlight on my drz just doesn't put out enough light. What lights do you guys recommend. The only thing that is a must is that it is not an HID. i plan on riding up to Alaska and i need to be able to stop into any automotive or bike shop to get bulbs. any and all help would be great.

thanks 

during my time off i have became an avid mountain biker and really fallen in love with night riding due to lower tempatures.

This crosses over to dirt biking as well, but i find that the headlight on my drz just doesn't put out enough light. What lights do you guys recommend. The only thing that is a must is that it is not an HID. i plan on riding up to Alaska and i need to be able to stop into any automotive or bike shop to get bulbs. any and all help would be great.

thanks 

What headlight does it have?

What model DRZ? E? S? Kicker?

I have an Aussie E. I simply installed a Narva arctic plus 50 globe in the stock housing.

There are a few theads on here (search) in which dudes have installed baja designs round headlights. They look the goods and would be awesome for riding to Alaska.

here is my custom headlight install, much improved from stock.

image.jpg

Man that custom headlight looks great. How did you do that?

Bought klx250 headlight and trim pieces and engineered it to fit my drz. Tried the klx450 first but it was smaller and not as bright as the klx250

thanks 

supplement with ToughLEDS, or some other brand led's. 

they're tougher than your stock headlight (it's a glass lens!) and much brighter with very little wattage. if you're paranoid, cut plexi shields for the headlight, and led supplements, but make sure you can remove them quickly to clean them off. 

i just came in from a short night ride, with a 30 degree flood, i see deer before they see me, or something. 

also, they work better for illuminating off road than on. LOTS of light EVERYWHERE, nothing can hide from it. 

supplement with ToughLEDS, or some other brand led's.

they're tougher than your stock headlight (it's a glass lens!) and much brighter with very little wattage. if you're paranoid, cut plexi shields for the headlight, and led supplements, but make sure you can remove them quickly to clean them off.

i just came in from a short night ride, with a 30 degree flood, i see deer before they see me, or something.

also, they work better for illuminating off road than on. LOTS of light EVERYWHERE, nothing can hide from it.

That sounds like what I need to do. Does the stock DRZ glass headlight lens work with an HID drop in bulb or do you need to replace the whole light lens and all? I haven't taken it apart to look at it closely.

That sounds like what I need to do. Does the stock DRZ glass headlight lens work with an HID drop in bulb or do you need to replace the whole light lens and all? I haven't taken it apart to look at it closely.

it will work with a HID bulb but you loose high beam and it only has minimal improvements and sometimes even seems like oem was better.

imo the stock housing/lens is very good, especially for a dualsport. some hid's are better than others, which is why i suggested a pair of LED's to supplement. if you really want to light up the night, go for a 15 or 20 watt SPOT and FLOOD setup. it will illuminate so much, for so far, you'll wonder how you ever did without it. 

there are great reviews on advrider, amazon, and similar places. check out the youtube videso too. 

imo the stock housing/lens is very good, especially for a dualsport. some hid's are better than others, which is why i suggested a pair of LED's to supplement. if you really want to light up the night, go for a 15 or 20 watt SPOT and FLOOD setup. it will illuminate so much, for so far, you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

there are great reviews on advrider, amazon, and similar places. check out the youtube videso too.

Oh ok I will check that out. Do you know what size bulb it is? I am assuming you mean to take the bulb only out and replace it with a brighter one? Not swap out the whole housing correct?

Oh ok I will check that out. Do you know what size bulb it is? I am assuming you mean to take the bulb only out and replace it with a brighter one? Not swap out the whole housing correct?

correct. 

i believe the favorite (non modification required) was silverstars a while back. some folks use the $40 ebay HID's instead, and some have to modify the housing, some don't. i've ridden with guys that have done both. the HID's i've seen all had a blue tint, which the owners agreed was annoying. just a FYI :)

correct.

i believe the favorite (non modification required) was silverstars a while back. some folks use the $40 ebay HID's instead, and some have to modify the housing, some don't. i've ridden with guys that have done both. the HID's i've seen all had a blue tint, which the owners agreed was annoying. just a FYI :)

Well I did an install of HIDs in my truck so I do know the blue hint you're describing. Just as long as I'm able to get more brightness and distribution from it at night I would be happy!!!!

Stock lights like the OP described are fairly dull.

Any idea what the description of the eBay kit would be?

If you can find a hid with a 4000-4500k rating you'll get the best light output, a 4300kelven bulb isn't a blue tint Fyi.

anything over 4500k and you start losing lumen, same goes for halogen.

Since this is a lighting topic and i don't mean to jack your thread but has anyone used the Trailtech x2 light? How is it?

I made the swap to HID and love the amount of light it affords, I would say twice as bright with fairly good focus. The real reason I purchased the bulb was to drop the wattage on the bike to run heated gear.

Just buy the HID that has the a single "filament" (not really a filament, sort of one location where the arc occurs) that moves in and out to duplicate the double filament of the stock bulb. The stock lens focuses differently for high and low beam by the position of the two filaments. So you want to duplicate that...

Take off any sheild that comes with the bulb, they make the scatter worse.

And buy only 4300k, they most closely match "white" light not that crappy looking blue you usually see.

Ron W

I don't know if it would be possible to use these on a Z but I have a set of Rigid Industries LEDs on my Grizzly and they are insanely bright and tough as nails. There are cheaper LED options out there but Rigid is the top of the line for quality.

You could go with possibly the SRMs or duallys near the front as a supplement to your stock headlight.

*These could only be used offroad. Def too bright to be DOT approved.

Edited by mayorblurps