Borrego Springs, CA - Places to ride

California

Howdy folks,

Been out to Borrego many a time (mostly on a sportbike, or hikingicon1.png), however, on a dirtbike I have only been probably 2-3 times.  I have just ridden a few places (Coyote/Sheep Canyon, Rockhouse, and Octillo Wells....which kinda sucks to me) and I am looking for some new places. In the past some folks mentioned "Fish Camp" or something, and some other trails, but I do not know how to get to them.   I want/like trails that do not have a "disneyland" like atmosphere like Octillo Wells and other places the like have. Any ideas that folks have would be greatly appreciated as I need to expand my horizons!

Cheers,

Jason

Got to Ocotillo...  ride east of the SVRA...  west of the SVRA...  south of the SVRA...  and north of the SVRA.  It's all a blast...  some scenic...  some challenging...  no Disneyland.

Here is a map for the state park: http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/638/files/abdspmap.pdf Just remember the state park requires all vehicles to be street legal.

They were probably talking about Fish Creek, its near Split Mountain. The Wind Caves are kinda cool too. Did that trail in a baja bug about 15 years ago.

Got to Ocotillo...  ride east of the SVRA...  west of the SVRA...  south of the SVRA...  and north of the SVRA.  It's all a blast...  some scenic...  some challenging...  no Disneyland.

Ridden some of that.  I have a big girl (XR650L) and my buddies will be on similar bikes, so DEEP sand can be a biznatch.  Thanks for the tips senor.

Here is a map for the state park: http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/638/files/abdspmap.pdf Just remember the state park requires all vehicles to be street legal.

They were probably talking about Fish Creek, its near Split Mountain. The Wind Caves are kinda cool too. Did that trail in a baja bug about 15 years ago.

Yes, Fish Creek, near Split Mtn.....that was it.  Thank you for the map....very helpful.  He used to talk about "Blair Valley" as well.  All of our bikes are plated and legal beagle.  I guess I just need to figure out how hard it is to actually access/ find my way around the trail the right way.  Hmmmmmm.

Happy Trails.

You can't miss Fish Creek.  Split Mountain Rd south till you come to the wash/creek.  Turn Right west and enjoy.  There is a kiosk at the wash/creek.  If you cross the wash and RR tracks you'll dead end into the Gypsum plant.

Since your bikes are plated, there are lots of nice trails to ride. Search Borrego Springs in this section and you will find a great route that I posted a few years ago. A really good route that hits most of the highlights and bypasses OW.

Octillo Wells....which kinda sucks to me) and I am looking for some new places. I want/like trails that do not have a "disneyland" like atmosphere like Octillo Wells

Cheers,

Jason

See I'm not the only one!!

See I'm not the only one!!I 

I know, its not just you that hasnt seen the fun stuff..its only people that havent been there much that say that,  I dont ride in the park unless I go to play on shell reef or devils slide.  The good stuff is the outskirts.. :naughty:

BTW what do you mean by DISNEYLAND type atmosphere?  Lots of people, tons of whoops? Both can be easily avoided.  Thats the problem is most people go to the same places, so yeah those areas will be most crowded. There is so much more, just gotta know where its at.

Fish Creek is OK if you are in a Jeep or a giant DS like the OP, because its just a mostly flat trail winding through the washes with some offshoots to various places like the wind caves or the Palm trees, etc..

Once you go further down the trail gets better (more technical but not overly)  toward Aqua Caliente area.

Just go down Split mountain toward the tracks, make a right at the sign post and there it is..

Edited by Speed-Freek