Sign in to follow this  

Need help. Unique take on SSS swap 05 yz 250

I have the opportunity to swap forks with an 07 yz250f onto my 05 yz250. My forks are sprung for my weight and ability and the 250f are not. I'm vaguely familiar with the 2 fork designs and I'm a pretty smart guy. That being said, I was wondering if just the cartridges were interchangeable between the 2 forks. So all I would be taking is the 07 cartridges? Or would my 05 springs fit into the 07? Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Edited by R3C0V3RY166

I have the opportunity to swap forks with an 07 yz250f onto my 05 yz250. My forks are sprung for my weight and ability and the 250f are not. I'm vaguely familiar with the 2 fork designs and I'm a pretty smart guy. That being said, I was wondering if just the cartridges were interchangeable between the 2 forks. So all I would be taking is the 07 cartridges? Or would my 05 springs fit into the 07? Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

05 springs can not fit into 07 forks. They are 16mm longer than 06-09YZ springs.

About the damping, adjust sim stacks of compression valves. Remove 2 or 3 largest sims. You can refer to some data of sim stacks wherever of TT forums.

But, The sim setting for you is up to your weight and use after all.  Make trial and find your own setthing. The procedure in itself is not so difficult. :)

Are you referring to te shim stack on the 05 or 07 fork? I kind of fell into this opportunity. I have no complaints on my 05 fork but am told the 07 will be leaps and bounds better. I dont ride other peoles Bikes ever, so i have nothing to compare things to. I'm an Ameteur Mx rider if it matters or helps.

I don't know if I worded my question right, but I guess I'm asking if I can take the SSS inner cartridges and install them in my 05 legs. They look pretty similar. But that's why I'm asking the experts here.

You worded it fine, but the answer is, No the cartridges will not fit.

And as to the question, "Are the SSS forks leaps & bounds better?" The answer is almost always a resounding YES!!!

You can make the AOSS forks very good, which might be why you are trying to keep them. But the SSS forks can be made to work incredibly well, and are damn near that way stock.

Have you ridden the SSS?

Will they be used for MX?

• Like 1

I did a 07 yz250f fork and shock swap to my 05 yz250 also. I revalved the forks and shock myself so I can help you out. Suspension valving is a hush hush world as no one wants to give away there secrets. I used 22..5 clamps and the 07 yz250f front axle. You will need the 07 250f front caliper bracket as their mounting holes are closer together. Or you can use any 08-up yz hanger. Let me know what you want to change and I will help you out. There also is 2 good threads for 07 yz250f revalves on the susp forum.

Thank you both for your replies! I have never ridden SSS equipped bike before. My motto is if I can't have it, don't tempt myself with it. I will be riding solely Amateur level MX. I also am able to grab the rear shock too, but I've heard conflicting views on the 17mm shaft. I heard that it displaces too much fluid and messes with damping. Should I keep mine or swap? It sounds like ill just do the whole fork swap, and order the proper springs. Thanks for the help.

Also I like my suspension real stiff, and I'm wondering if that's why I have no complaints with my fork. Are the SSS forks soft?

I had 05 Forks on my steel frame YZ 250 and swapped the out to 07 250F forks. Put them on and rode them stock at first.

Maniac998 +1. The difference was night and day, stock.

• Like 1

I had 05 Forks on my steel frame YZ 250 and swapped the out to 07 250F forks. Put them on and rode them stock at first.

Maniac998 +1. The difference was night and day, stock.

Not to thread jack, but how difficult of a swap was it to put SSS on a steel frame? Just new clamps required? I have an 02 that I wouldn't mind getting nicer forks for eventually. I've heard good things about them. 

I went ebay shopping and picked up all the parts. I believe NitrousR1 had done the same thing but explained it, clearly in another post. Not hard at all though.

Everything was bolt on except steering stem was shorter on 250f, had to be pressed and I picked up a complete front brake setup off of a 06 450F

Everything was bolt on except steering stem was shorter on 250f, had to be pressed and I picked up a complete front brake setup off of a 06 450F

So I'd press out my 02 stem and press it into the newer 250f lower clamp? And a new caliper. Front wheel still fit? Sorry, I'll do some searching  :goofy:

OP, You said you kind of fell into this deal?  That's a lot better than shopping on ebay for a set of forks.  See, guys are wising up as far as swapping old for new and I looked for SSS forks last week.  There were 3 sets on ebay....$600, $700 & $800.  Makes ME wonder if I really need them.  My '01 forks have been re-valved (shim stack shuffle) and for what I do, they are 90% better.  If I run across $8 - $900 I don't have anything else to spend it on, I might think about it...but not now.

HEY YOU JACKED MY THREAD!!! ha just joking its all good. I like to learn about that stuff, I had an 04 before and would've love to swap forks. Anyways yeah, I fell into the deal. My bro is selling his bike and he said people keep low balling him. So he said you can pay full price or make your offer and get previous model forks. Around here 4 stroke value sharply dropped off. Like overnight it seems. But I think I may pass on the deal. I love how my bike rides now and I'm fast. His forks are crazy soft, and mine barely move when I hit things and I've grown to love that. If the bike doesn't sell Monday ill reconsider. But as of now the time crunch isn't worth the headache. Thanks very much for everyone's input! Ill update if I do the swap.

Edited by R3C0V3RY166
  • Like 1

I have 2 threads in the suspension forum for DIY revalves on 06-up SSS forks and shocks. I ride woods with this bike and needed softer initial damping. The results were amazing. Takes no more experience then a regular fork or shock rebuild. Id gladly help anyone here out. The titles are-

Yz250 woods modified stock stack

Yz250 matching shock- matching with fork revalve

• Like 2