Rear brake pedal, why so tiny ?

Really though. For somebody like myself who has big goofy feet, I can't keep my foot over the brake. I have been trying to learn wheelies and cover the rear brake but most of the time I end up going for the brake, my foot slips off the pedal or I miss it completely. Quite a few of us at work ride (dual sports and street bikes) and it seems like everyone's brake pedal is is much larger and sticks out more. Has anyone ever changed out the pedal for a larger one or made a larger end piece?

I use my front brake 100% of the time. I had my bike 8 years before I noticed my back master cylinder was cracked and bone dry. 

I use my front brake 100% of the time. I had my bike 8 years before I noticed my back master cylinder was cracked and bone dry. 

Yeah, that's not great advice...

OP,

Yes, its small, but I've personally never had problems braking because of it.  I know they make larger "tips" and I think one manufacturer or brand is called hammerhead.

Have you got a link to the Hammerhead Product ?

mmm, well, ok. you're missing out ! 

how the hell does the front brake work out for you when your doing a wheelie  Flippie ?

see what I did there ?  LOL

Edited by Zimman

just FYI, hammerhead brake pedals are shorter than oem pedals.

Setting the right height makes it a lot more accessible and easy to use.

wow!! How do you stop the wheelie with your front brake?! Im amazed gosh ahahahahahahahhash

You can do this

drz153_zps429da52a.jpg

I have it in blue now

drz288_zpsffef1300.jpg

Edited by Rock Slyde

You can do this

Posted Image

I have it in blue now

Posted Image

That's what I'm talking about! Where did you get that one? And does it still swivel in?

Also I noticed you also added larger foot pegs. How do you like them? I also find the stock pegs (rubber removed) to be pretty small. Probably a worth while upgrade. Especially when I'm in dirt mode.

To answer the original question, I believe that pedal is small to avoid ripping your Achilles tendon in half in case you get your foot in the wrong place. 

Have you got a link to the Hammerhead Product ?

I can't post a link, but: www. h d m o t o .com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BTL

It says KTM, but I was sure I've seen pics on the forum with a similar tip mounted on their OE pedal.

Ok .. Thanks

To answer the original question, I believe that pedal is small to avoid ripping your Achilles tendon in half in case you get your foot in the wrong place. 

If you're wearing a half decent pair of boots, road or off road, your achilles will never be at risk, except in the most extreme crash and then you will have a little more to worry about than just your achilles tendon.

It more to do with being a smaller target for rocks and sticks when off road reducing the chance of getting damaged and unoperational..

This is also the reason why the tip is spring loaded and why we fit brake snakes. 

What size is the lever tip on the SM ?

What size is the lever tip on the SM ?

Same part #

Terrible advice. I'd highly recommend you take a advanced or experienced motorcycle safety course and break that bad habit. Sincerely, there are times to use both, and times to use rear only. It could save your life. You'd fail a licensing test for failure to use both brakes in any state I've ever lived.

Well, that wasn't advice. I was just stating a fact.

I only used the front brake when I passed my test back in the 80s.

And since 90% of your weight is on the front tire during hard braking, I'm only missing out on 10% of the fun.

Edited by Filipe