Bar Help?

So I've gotten myself into a bit of analysis paralysis here. I'm looking to upgrade my dinky 7/8" Moose bars to some proper 1 1/8 Protapers. I have no idea what bend the Moose are on my 02 yz250, but I feel like they definitely have too much sweep. I'm 6' and I feel a couple degrees away from acting like I'm pulling my pants up while standing.

What is everyone running for a taller bar with minimal sweep? My research has guided me to the Contour Windham bend? How is this? I'll be running it on an Applied Racing clamp with no other height mods. Any others I should be looking at? Preference on Contours over the Fatbar RC bend?

Thanks for any help! :ride:

im 6'2" and have run the rc high bend for years and love them

im 6'2" and have run the rc high bend for years and love them

Cool, so it looks like the RC highs are pretty similar, just a bit taller 119vs99. Windham has a bit less sweep

Windham/RM MID 02-4004 02-2892 800 99 74 219 53 180

RC HIGH 609-0                                 802 119 80 105 54 190

Edited by Corvus

6'4 here and the Windham's are as good as it gets to me when it comes to bars.

6'4 here and the Windham's are as good as it gets to me when it comes to bars.

Cool deal :thumbsup: how are they for moving forward? I found I had to move my Moose bars forward two degrees to feel comfy while standing straight over it. I think the Windhams are sounding like winners.

I honestly don't feel the need to rotate them forward. They actually feel really good in a neutral position! I find it really easy to get out over top of them. Unlike bars with more sweep. The less amount of sweep you have, the easier it will be for us tall guys to get out over the front. 

The more sweep the bars have, the further they need to be rolled forward for us tall guys to get the bar ends up. 

Do you know what bend your Moose bars were? That would probably explain the reason you needed to roll them up.

FYI the RC highs are nearly identical as well. Just taller. So you will have to decide how high you want the bars to be.

Edited by BDubb106

I honestly don't feel the need to rotate them forward. They actually feel really good in a neutral position! I find it really easy to get out over top of them. Unlike bars with more sweep. The less amount of sweep you have, the easier it will be for us tall guys to get out over the front. 

The more sweep the bars have, the further they need to be rolled forward for us tall guys to get the bar ends up. 

Do you know what bend your Moose bars were? That would probably explain the reason you needed to roll them up.

FYI the RC highs are nearly identical as well. Just taller. So you will have to decide how high you want the bars to be.

I'm not sure what bend my Moose bars are. They came on the bike when I got it and I think they may even be bent a tad. My poor bike was abused by two previous owners and has had at least one wreck on the street. May have been the reason aftermarket bars were on there actually...  I see what you're saying about how sweep affects the comfy position as I cranked them forward to get to a comfier position with my elbows out and centered over the front.

I think, if the Windham are fine for your height, they'll be plenty fine for me and a big improvement. Thanks for the tips! :thumbsup:

Does Renthal and Pro Taper make different Windham's?

A friend told me that the Windham in Renthal is different then the Windham in Pro Taper.

A friend told me that the Windham in Renthal is different then the Windham in Pro Taper.

Yes they are slightly different, but both are good! The Renthals are slightly taller and have less sweep.

I run Renthal Twinwalls on my bikes.

Hmm good point. Here are the measurements from RMATV

Renthal Twinwall=

Kevin Windham Bend 31.61" 3.62" 2.24"

Pro Taper Contour=

Windham MX/RM Mid Bend 31.50" 3.90" 2.13"

If RM's measurements are accurate, it looks like the PT Windham is the one that's slightly taller with less sweep...if they're accurate

Edited by Corvus

Renthal it is then.

The same would go for RC High's then.

Here is Pro Tapers bend measurements http://www.protaper.com/products/handlebars/contour I'm 5'9" ride in the woods on a KDX and am really considering going with the woods bend for my new(ish) bike, my older bike has the Windham bend, risers had to be used to mount to the stock triple clamps, so keep that in mind, and compared to stock it is heaven!

Here are the measurements direct from the manufacturers site. A is Width, B is height, C is rise, D is clamp area, E is sweep, F is Control area

Pro Taper Evo Windham bend.

A. 800 B. 99 C. 74 D. 219 E. 53 F. 180

Renthal Twinwall Windham bend

A. 803 B. 92 C. 56 D. 110 E. 57 F. 190

So you are right, the Pro Taper has slightly less sweep and is taller. I had it backwards.

Edited by BDubb106

Tusk Chub bars are excellent

only 40$

YZ bend are almost the same as the windham bend , on have about 1/8" more pullback

Tusk Chub bars are excellent

only 40$

YZ bend are almost the same as the windham bend , on have about 1/8" more pullback

Those are what I was looking at initially. I still may go with them, but was looking for feedback on the more prevalent bends first. I'm liking the sound of the Pro Taper Windham. I doubt my Moose are the YZ bend either. I would like to go with twinwalls, but I can't really justify the extra $40 to myself at my riding level. Might try those out later for giggles. 

Those are what I was looking at initially. I still may go with them, but was looking for feedback on the more prevalent bends first. I'm liking the sound of the Pro Taper Windham. I doubt my Moose are the YZ bend either. I would like to go with twinwalls, but I can't really justify the extra $40 to myself at my riding level. Might try those out later for giggles. 

The great thing about the twinwalls is that you will never bend another set of bars. 

It is possible but unlikely. That is why they are worth the extra $40 IMO.

The great thing about the twinwalls is that you will never bend another set of bars.

It is possible but unlikely. That is why they are worth the extra $40 IMO.

I'll never go back to pro taper. I used to run just pro tapers but they are terrible bars and there customer service SUCKS! I've switched every set of bars on any bike I own to rentals, they are unbeatable/bendable and there customer service is great. I called straight to Renthal asked what they'd do for me if I bought 5 sets of bars for my 3 bikes and my sons 2, the said If I pay full price for 7 pairs they'll throw 3 in free. I was suprised and said I can't afford 7 sets now, there reply was if you let everyone know how awesome out bars are and you recommend them then pay for 5. Sets and well give you a "few extras". They came to my door 4 days later with 10 sets of bars, a few pairs of grips(I think 3) and 5 bar pads . I was amazed.

Yep their customer service is top notch. They replaced a set of twin walls with no questions asked after I cracked a set in a tip over (which I had on film, I literally fell over at as close as you can get to a stand still and they cracked right where the two parts meet). They were at my door in 3 days... the only thing they asked of me was that I sent my old set back in the box that they sent the new set to me in. I have been a customer ever since.

That is the only issue I have had with a set of their bars. Never bent. cracked or tweaked a set other than that one time and they were replaced, and my bars see the ground a lot! LOL How can you argue with that?

Yep their customer service is top notch. They replaced a set of twin walls with no questions asked after I cracked a set in a tip over (which I had on film, I literally fell over at as close as you can get to a stand still and they cracked right where the two parts meet). They were at my door in 3 days... the only thing they asked of me was that I sent my old set back in the box that they sent the new set to me in. I have been a customer ever since.

That is the only issue I have had with a set of their bars. Never bent. cracked or tweaked a set other than that one time and they were replaced, and my bars see the ground a lot! LOL How can you argue with that?

that's the thing, you can't argue with it. I've seen pro tapers crack were raptor cheap set of $20 bars wouldn't even bend. I've seen pro tapers bend so easily also. Now I've seen a set if Renthal twinwalls roll ass over end probably 20 times down a hill will attached to a rmz250 and come out fine, while the rest of the bike looked like it was hit by a Mac truck. I've seen rentals bend and craxk also but not near as much as any others. And I'll certainly buy from a company with great customer service/ a great product(all there productS)/ and fair prices.

I'd have to give a +1 on Renthal customer service. I wrecked my 06 R1 street bike and snapped a clipon bar and tweaked the clip on. They did me a solid and sent me a new clip on AND bar. I was very impressed. 

I usually buy all Renthal stuff to support them. I ended up getting a deal on new Pro Taper Evo Windham bend and new oversize clamps that will go in an Applied Racing clamp I'm picking up. Got a new set of 03 forks for them to go on also. Should be an all new setup. 

I had a chance to take a look at the Windham bend on some pro taper 7/8 bars and def like them. The YZ high and CR High didn't seem too bad either. But I'll try the Windham Evos out.