Sign in to follow this  

Wheels

The rear will work, the front requires the use of an R front axle and spacers.

Thanks Doc! so to clarify I can just order OEM axle and spacers for a 2009 CRF450R and they will fit my 06?

As in these spacers? http://www.motosport.com/CA/dirtbike/2009-honda-crf250r--ALL-BALLS-FRONT-WHEEL-SPACER-KIT

Edited by bukwild

The rear will work, the front requires the use of an R front axle and spacers.

Paul, I have a 450r front wheel on my x and all I needed was the spacers. The x axle fits fine... I used the RBRMX spacers...

http://www.rbrmotorsports.com/

Edited by crazybrother

Paul, I have a 450r front wheel on my x and all I needed was the spacers. The x axle fits fine... I used the RBRMX spacers...

http://www.rbrmotorsports.com

Diameter wise, they are the same. The difference is in the length of the shoulder.

An axle and spacers from any 02-08 450R or 04-09 250R will be fine. The 09 has the left spacer set into the plastic rotor guard so that is more of a challenge.

• Like 1

Diameter wise, they are the same. The difference is in the length of the shoulder.

An axle and spacers from any 02-08 450R or 04-09 250R will be fine. The 09 has the left spacer set into the plastic rotor guard so that is more of a challenge.

Got it. My 450R front wheel came off a 2007.

the search feature works!

i am about to buy tusk wheels for my 2005 crf450x.  the rear is no problem(same as R) but tusk doesn't make a front wheel for the X.  so, i am going to order the 450R two wheel kit.  it comes complete with spacers(outter and inner), bearings, etc...  if i understand correctly i will only have to buy a front axle and i should be golden, correct?  if you guys can confirm this i would appreciate it, then i will order.

thanks in advance

the X and R forks must be spaced apart the same distance?

You won't need the axle, just the spacers from tbe R...

George...I see you've corrected me several times on the lack of needing the R axle when using an R wheel and R spacers.

Can you elaborate??? We run both X and R wheels on our bikes. We've found that the R wheels with R spacers will not work with X axles as the stepped portion is 1/2 too short...you would need to pinch the forks at the bottom to make this work and then the suspension would suffer...

Help me to understand...

Top R axle...Bottom X axle

100_57691.jpg

• Like 2

thanks so much for the info fellas.

the wheels come with the bearings, inner and outer spacers for the R.  i certainly don't mind spending $35 on an axle if i need to, or should.

will the brake disk line up with the caliper?  i assume it will, but i don't assume anything...  ass-u-me.  would like to be certain before getting into a job, importing parts into canada, hassles, spending cash, getting parts that won't work, etc...  and you guys are helping me get more comfortable, thanks again.

i hope to order tonight or tomorrow

Paul, bad typing from my cell phone. I use the RBR spacers with my X axle and my 07 R front wheel. It seems to be fine on my old 06 as well as my new 2012. No pinch points at all. I also used the old x spacer with the odo drive, maybe that wasn't such a good idea now that I've seen the axles side by side. My bad:wacko:

Also, just realized the OP was asking about an '09 and mine is an '07...

I'll shut up now.

Edited by crazybrother

thanks so much for the info fellas.

the wheels come with the bearings, inner and outer spacers for the R.  i certainly don't mind spending $35 on an axle if i need to, or should.

will the brake disk line up with the caliper?  i assume it will, but i don't assume anything...  ass-u-me.  would like to be certain before getting into a job, importing parts into canada, hassles, spending cash, getting parts that won't work, etc...  and you guys are helping me get more comfortable, thanks again.

i hope to order tonight or tomorrow

The left side spacer is the same on X and R. That is what assures the disc lines up with the caliper.

The right side spacer is narrower on the R which is why the shoulder is 1/2" longer on the R axle.

The X doesn't use a right side spacer, it has the Odometer drive unit as the spacer. It is 1/2" wider than the R spacer, which is why the X axle's shoulder is narrower.

We have found that when using the R wheel and spacers with the X axle, there is a 1/2" gap between the shoulder and the spacer. This will allow the wheel to move along the axle only being held in place by the disc. The spacers should be held firmly in place against the fork lug on the left and the shoulder on the right.

Crazy Brother's special spacer must be a hybrid spacer that is 1/2 wider than the R spacer...

• Like 1

oh doc, that is gold right there.  great explanation.  thanks again.

i will be ordering shortly.  i will get an R axle too, and i should be good to go.

Paul, i'm running the stock X front wheel now with my DS tires on them. When I put the R wheel back on. I'll check the spacing with the RBRMX spacers and let you know if I was missing. I always use the Honda (shop manual) method of tightening up the front wheel. 

Running the same tusk wheels for the R on my '05 using the included R spacers and an R axle, everything aligns perfectly.  Actually forgot to swap the axle when I was putting the front on and it was obviously off.

• Like 1

Running the same tusk wheels for the R on my '05 using the included R spacers and an R axle, everything aligns perfectly.  Actually forgot to swap the axle when I was putting the front on and it was obviously off.

very good info!  you are doing exactly what i want to do.  my X is an 05

thanks to all of you for the help.

are the oem honda wheels of a bit suspect quality?  i have heard this, and mine aren't holding up nearly as well as i expect them to.

all of your help made me comfortable enough to order the tusk wheels and an axle for the 450R.  thanks again everyone.

txcruzr, how are your tusk wheels holding up?

I just got the wheels a few weeks ago and only have two runs on them but they seem like great quality for the price.  I did a lot of searching and could only find good things about them.