FL, CO, WA, IA: How's the riding?

Hey guys so I'm possibly going to university of Florida, Colorado state, university of Washington, Washington state, or university of Iowa for a graduate program. If it was a perfect world and I had a choice of where to go how's the riding in these areas? I'll be on a dual sported 450x so looking for semi close riding as the bike will be transpo, thanks for input in advance!

You are a couple hours on the freeway from any riding at UW or wa state. However we have some of the best riding you will find anywhere, with a dual sport its nearly endless

Between those Washington or Colorado would be my choices. There isn't much riding in FL. Only problem with Colorado is your limited riding season. I like to ride all year.

I've been spoiled with my 10 minute ride to all my single track here in flagstaff. Thanks for the input guys, more is always welcome!

Not sure where you can ride near CSU which is in Fort Collins.  But where I'm at in the upper Arkansas valley it's dirt bike heaven.  Easy to plate a bike and you can get lost on mining roads.  Plenty of single track but I've run into bike haters on single track.   Don't expect to be able to ride year around. 

Colorado has tons of riding opportunities compared to anywhere I have been.

WSU will have riding in N. Idaho, not sure how far you would have to go but Idaho is a whopping 2 mile drive from Pullman. There are a ton of riding opportunities in E. Washington too.....so you should have no problem finding somewhere to ride around there. 

UW is in the middle of the greater Seattle area, or King County, not a real off road dirt bike friendly area, and your closest riding area would be around 75 miles to get there.

WSU will have riding in N. Idaho, not sure how far you would have to go but Idaho is a whopping 2 mile drive from Pullman. There are a ton of riding opportunities in E. Washington too.....so you should have no problem finding somewhere to ride around there.

UW is in the middle of the greater Seattle area, or King County, not a real off road dirt bike friendly area, and your closest riding area would be around 75 miles to get there.

Awesome, its either I keep the dirt bike and have the opportunity to ride frequently or I buy a street bike I can take day trips with the girlfriend on. I like both ideas but if the time to get somewhere is too great it might not be worth having the dirt bike. At least until I'm done with school :lol:

I've been spoiled with my 10 minute ride to all my single track here in flagstaff. Thanks for the input guys, more is always welcome!

NAU?

Mike

NAU?

Mike

That's right, I have the beat up xr250 that parks on franklin by the rec

Paul

I think Colorado would be my choice, but I'd have a snow mobile too.  

Edited by Rooster72

In Florida you'd be a few hours away from Croom Motorcycle park which is like a thousand acres or something if you into trail riding. 

Tracks you have pax track and I think that's about it. Nothing really in Gainesville, also the football fans for University of Florida are awfully annoying haha.

....BUT you can woods ride all winter at several places near Seattle ( wet though) and even get a few rides in the desert in if you want to drive too. 

Joe

Fart Collins isn't bad, ther'es some decent riding in the area... a lot of it got flooded out though.  Some fun trails west of there though, and some good adventure riding up into the Snowies.

Riding season's not really limited... but you will need different gear for winter riding vs. summer riding. 

Or just go all-out and put a track kit on the bike. :smirk:

Between those Washington or Colorado would be my choices. There isn't much riding in FL. Only problem with Colorado is your limited riding season. I like to ride all year.

Colorado is renowned for offroad trail riding.. RMEC (Rocky Mtn Enduro Circuit) partners with our West Texas races, those guys are fast!  The riding in Colorado is 2nd to none for mountains.  California has CO beat for desert offroading.

If I could flip a switch, I'd be in Colorado.

Thanks you guys! Looks like Colorado is my best choice riding wise, any input on IA? I figured its probably not too good but if there's anyone in that area it'd be nice to hear about it

I'm from Iowa and it isn't too bad here. You sure won't find the rockys here, but a pretty good amount of timber to ride in. There are roughly 10 public places to ride in eastern Iowa/western Illinois, and many more private places. I'm doing an OMA moose run in morrison, IL on November 3rd. Check out the videos on youtube for an idea of the riding here.

I'm from Iowa and it isn't too bad here. You sure won't find the rockys here, but a pretty good amount of timber to ride in. There are roughly 10 public places to ride in eastern Iowa/western Illinois, and many more private places. I'm doing an OMA moose run in morrison, IL on November 3rd. Check out the videos on youtube for an idea of the riding here.

Thanks for the input, looks like Lakeview ohv is about 15 miles away from Iowa city!

Yea that is called solon or 600 acres around here (they changed the name recently). A little bit of everything out there.