Cam journal scoring?

Bought a used head from a member on here and upon recieving it this is what I found:

y9u9u4yj.jpg

I was pretty excited till I saw this since it's a k head with the manual decompression but everyone tells me the head is toast. I asked the seller about it and this was his response:

I bought the bike new at the end of 2000, in early 2003 the valves got tight, I had the valves, seats and springs replaced then and the shop that did it noticed that too and said it was fine. I threw Hot Cams in it and rode it until 2007 the way you see it. SO no it didn't casue any issues.

Thanks.

The plan was to send this out to Eddie to have him swap parts from my old head but I don't want to ship 2 heads to Colorado just to find out I now have 2 expensive paperweights. Opinions?

Might be possible to smooth it out some how depending how deep

might be possible to smooth, but that's a BIG might

most decent shops wouldn't put it back together like that for fear it would grenade down the line, if for no other reason than they would know they put something together that wasn't 100% right when it left their shop, but notice I said most decent shops, decent being the big variable

amazing it doesn't happen more often when you think about it, steel cams rotatling at high RPM on a aluminum head with minimal clearance only lubed by oil

I'm dealing with a similar problem, one cam got down into the head and messed up the journal, I'm going with a clean head to be safe, don't want to have to build it again anytime soon

Edited by dirtdude723

Yes this is the reason you check your oil. And is that a inlet side cam ? Suprised tge stress is on the exhaust usally

Bought a used head from a member on here and upon recieving it this is what I found:

y9u9u4yj.jpg

I was pretty excited till I saw this since it's a k head with the manual decompression but everyone tells me the head is toast. I asked the seller about it and this was his response:

I bought the bike new at the end of 2000, in early 2003 the valves got tight, I had the valves, seats and springs replaced then and the shop that did it noticed that too and said it was fine. I threw Hot Cams in it and rode it until 2007 the way you see it. SO no it didn't casue any issues.

Thanks.

The plan was to send this out to Eddie to have him swap parts from my old head but I don't want to ship 2 heads to Colorado just to find out I now have 2 expensive paperweights. Opinions?

That head is JUNK.

Edited by Kioti

I believe the seller is liable for the hidden faults he knew of. You should get a refund.

I believe the seller is liable for the hidden faults he knew of. You should get a refund.

Agree 100%.

His response is bullshit.

All else fails, front him out on here for everyone to jump all over his shit.

All else fails, front him out on here for everyone to jump all over his shit.

LOL, that would surely get a response

upon rereading your original post I see the seller stated the shop knew about the journal damage back in 2003, yet put HotCams in it anyway???

what kind of shop notices damage, points it out and then just says don't wory about it and adds higher performance aftermarket parts and buttons it all up as if everything is fine???

also if it was "like that" back in 2003 it would only make sense that it would be a lot worse now, not like that sort of thing fixes itself or goes away

did you ask WHY he was selling the head? not exactly a common part to sell, not like you have to change it to run upgraded parts

LOL, that would surely get a response

upon rereading your original post I see the seller stated the shop knew about the journal damage back in 2003, yet put HotCams in it anyway???

what kind of shop notices damage, points it out and then just says don't wory about it and adds higher performance aftermarket parts and buttons it all up as if everything is fine???

also if it was "like that" back in 2003 it would only make sense that it would be a lot worse now, not like that sort of thing fixes itself or goes away

did you ask WHY he was selling the head? not exactly a common part to sell, not like you have to change it to run upgraded parts

+1....doesn't make sense to me either.....who would pay $300 for HotCams, then the labor to put them in, into a head that is that bad? Does not compute......... :excuseme:

This is why I hate buying used stuff.

It was from a full part out, just so happened that I needed a head and the price was right, or so I thought.... And I'm gonna at least give this guy a chance to redeem himself before I just start blasting him all over the forums lol. Guess I'm gonna look for another head, again! all this drama over a damn broken cam cap.....

This is why I hate buying used stuff.

Me too. Broke college student, can't exactly afford a new head (eBay ones go for like 6-700 it's ridiculous) and thought I was catching a break for once here

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

I worked at a bike shop 12 years ago and on the old XL and XR 250's (late 70's early 80s  models) they used the tig this up and re-machine them back to standard, as long as the head wasn't cracked and the cam was ok it was generally ok, can't you do this on these?

I worked at a bike shop 12 years ago and on the old XL and XR 250's (late 70's early 80s models) they used the tig this up and re-machine them back to standard, as long as the head wasn't cracked and the cam was ok it was generally ok, can't you do this on these?

Thats what I would do if the head is rare or not replaceable.

I worked at a bike shop 12 years ago and on the old XL and XR 250's (late 70's early 80s models) they used the tig this up and re-machine them back to standard, as long as the head wasn't cracked and the cam was ok it was generally ok, can't you do this on these?

Hopefully Eddie stumbles on this thread and weighs in here, if it's possible he's the one I'd send it to

yes send it off to him and never get it back again :D and lose $$$$ , the drz head is rare me thinks.

Hell I'd do the same thing! :D I was pumped when I got it and saw it was a k head, I had no idea up until that point. I was even specifically searching for one and had no luck. I'd never sell this head to someone though.... That would be like posting My old head on eBay without the cam caps

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

Hard to tell from just the pics

It's worth a quick clean up with some 1000 wet/dry paper with light oil on a dowel.  Then drop the cam in there with a piece of plastic gauge and check clearances..  I'd guess from the pics that head can be reused.  

Repair is very doable, but may not be worth the cost.

http://www.enginedynamics.com/

Engine Dynamics can do it well, and has provided great service for me. 

But have only used on a few heads that were not easily replaced. 

None of my options seem very cost efficient at this point. Would it be cheaper/easier to machine a new cam cap to fit my old head instead? Is that even possible? At least then I wouldn't have to worry about swapping valves. Or if anyone has a spare head feel free to speak up!

None of my options seem very cost efficient at this point. Would it be cheaper/easier to machine a new cam cap to fit my old head instead? Is that even possible? At least then I wouldn't have to worry about swapping valves. Or if anyone has a spare head feel free to speak up!

" Would it be cheaper/easier to machine a new cam cap to fit my old head instead?"

​As in from a billet of aluminum?  No.. 

You can not buy a "new" cam cap.

​A used cam cap would need to be fitted, and line bored (see engine dynamics or a like place for that)

What is wrong with your old cam cap? And I assume the head as well??

" Would it be cheaper/easier to machine a new cam cap to fit my old head instead?"

​As in from a billet of aluminum? No..

You can not buy a "new" cam cap.

​A used cam cap would need to be fitted, and line bored (see engine dynamics or a like place for that)

What is wrong with your old cam cap? And I assume the head as well??

My old intake cam cap cracked upon removal, the head is still solid.

ybesu5en.jpg

I realize the cam caps are machined to fit, but since I bought another head I now have a used cam cap. My question was how difficult would I be to make this cam cap work on my old head. Although if the journal is scored the cam cap might be toast as well....

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz