Sign in to follow this  

Which Valves for 1987 XR600R?

I am rebuilding the top of an 1987 XR600R,  the machine shop said the valves are fairly cupped and leaking.

what are the best valves to put back into this head?  I can get Honda valves for about 250,  but I have seen threads on KibbleWhites?

I also am not sure if I should be using Stainless valves or whatever the stock ones are. 

any input or guidance?

SS valves are fine for rebuilds. Stock valves aren't bad but Kibblewhite are better and most likely cheaper as well. Ferea also has 600 valves. Both brands are very well made from premium materials. If your seats are worn badly oversize aftermarket valves can be used too. The stock seats can be ground to fit them and airflow will improve if your machinist does it correctly.

The rockers don't come into play at all. Stock valves are good, stainless Ferrea or Kibblewhite valve are arguably better depending on application. All of them will work on stock seat material. I have Ferreas in my 600 and they're nice pieces.

I have KibbleWhites in my bike........well made valves........OE in these bikes are great quality too ..can`t go wrong with either ones..

B

The rockers don't come into play at all. Stock valves are good, stainless Ferrea or Kibblewhite valve are arguably better depending on application. All of them will work on stock seat material. I have Ferreas in my 600 and they're nice pieces.

I have read *so* many threads in the last week, it's hard to keep the stream of information straight, but it seems like i read somewhere that some of the aftermarket valves were "hardened" and wore through the rockers faster.

that's what I am worried about. My #1 goal is stock or better reliability. so if there is a type of valve I need to look for, or avoid, that's what I am confused about.  for example if KibbleWhites are hardened, and will eat the rockers faster, I'd rather avoid those,  unless there are two types of valves: hardened or non-hardened.  

sorry for the newb questions, I'm reading so many threads but most "valve" threads on search come back as "valve adjustment" threads or "valve lash" threads.

I wouldn't mind seeing where you read that rocker wear was an issue with aftermarket valves.

The rockers don't ride directly on the valve tip; the lash adjuster does. It is a hardened steel screw with a radiused face.

I believe what you read is hardened cams..not valves........can wear the OE rockers........

If you use welded/reground cams then it is seriously adbviseable to use hardface rockers..BTDT..

B

I believe what you read is hardened cams..not valves........can wear the OE rockers........

If you use welded/reground cams then it is seriously adbviseable to use hardface rockers..BTDT..

B

You are absolutely right. It was hardened cams, not valves. Ok that helps, I'm putting another stock cam in so should be ok with normal rockers and kibblewhite valves.

Thank you gentlemen, I LOVE this place.

Matt