Thoughts on 1993 XT600

• 2 weeks later...

Got it a couple of weeks ago for < what was asked.  

Even the original tool kit is there unopened!

Did my M endorsement tests (didn't take the safety course just wrote it and drove it).

Bought a new helmet (old one was a 70's vintage Bell).

Listed on local Craigslist:  RIDE THIS WEEKEND --

Got a few signed up for a 200 mile ride through the Wet Mountains (Rye - Beulah - Bishop Castle) Saturday.

Went to 3 shops here in CO Springs and none of the mechanics have ever even seen one.

Much more popular in Europe and Oz.

Runs like a champ on 91 but you CAN'T buy non-ethanol gas here.  Closest is Pueblo.

Ordering some new Shinko 705's and changing oil -- that's it.

Will post some pics from this weekend ride.

Tempted to K&N it and put on a slip-on pipe but will see how it does at 10K elevation.

Jetted pretty lean here at 6K.

thump - thump - thump

Photo link: 

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1377588_664847660206109_470060734_n.jpg

Edited by AtomicSaladShooter

Yep them's are some nice bikes. Light enough to be agile in traffic, heavy enough for highway cruising and not get to beat up by wind, Can go offroad and trails with them because good enough suspension and ground clearance. Plenty power to boot. That's why I have several of them(going to pick another '85 up this weekend,plus have a mint '89 waiting for enough cash). I just need to get my homebrew E-start hybrid motor verified to convert them all, or at least some.

They are made to run on 91, IIRC, don't "require "it but doesn't hurt, for me it's my only choice since the premium is the only grade without ethanol, I HATE ethanol.

Your going to get some sore spots on that 200 mile ride , since you haven't ridden before and gotten your body conditioned to the seat. Just try to remember to move around every once in a while right from the start to minimize it.

Keep clean oil in it and always full and she'll run a long, long time trouble free.

Edited by jjktmrider

New tires will be here next week.

Last weekend rode for an hr and the seat is going to an issue on the road.  

Found a custom corbin seat in OZ but sold quickly.  Might reshape the foam and cover with gel or sheepskin.

Got a few blokes together for the ride Saturday.  

I too loath ethanol fuel.  Ate and degraded everything rubber in my boat fuel system.  

Cheers 

We'll, we did a 165 mile ride to the Bishop Castle, elev 9 K. Keep right up to '06 and '09 KLR 650.'s.

Only snow / frozen mud for a couple miles out of 78.

Tomorrow, Phantom Canyon or Shelf road.

All that and not a single picture ? What kind of adv rider are you ? ?

We love pics . That way those of us that are weather or otherwise doomed to indoor activities can at least form dreams . ?

• 3 weeks later...