$#¡¥! Looped wheelie (again) DRZ in rough shape! Help? (Pics)

Soooo, I guess I didn't learn my lesson the first time (DRZ came out fine but I broke collar and dislocated shoulder). Last night I looped again and although I am unscathed (helmet/jacket/Kevlar pants saved my ass!) my poor 13' SM has had better days. As I was sliding down the road I could see my bike in the median going end over end and knew it wasn't going to be good, a car pulled up and was muttering something about calling police so in my adrenaline fueled state I picked the bike up and booked it home only a few blocks away. I could tell driving it the bars or something was bent in the front, the bars were spun down, actually don't look bent but the upper triple clamp must have moved since the forks were out of alignment. I loosened them up and the front end all seems to be fine now minus the front rim which is just con ethic but really bums me out that it's curb rashed 3/4 the way around at the lip.

It appears the subframe is f-ed, I put a OEM rack on it with a tank bag mounted to that through a homemade aluminum plate, and it still bent the whole thing to sh!t. My question to you guys is what subframe will fit my 13'SM? I see some from e's/s's and they look different. Any certain year/model I should be looking for?? Yeah I know in the pictures my hand-guard is still jacked.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381531666.271234.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381531679.064360.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381531694.348111.jpg

There are some motorists that do not appreciate the art of the wheelie... :ride:

This!

I was looking last night and the only sub frames if saw on eBay were either $350+ (which I think is ridiculous) or they appear to be "e" since they don't have that loop at the back. I will keep looking and just bend it back for now.

It really doesn't bother me to thrash a new bike, I'm not going to baby it and be a pansy just because I don't want a scratch on it. I bought it to have fun and it is doing an excellent job fulfilling its purpose. I will admit my blood was boiling for a bit when I saw the shiny blue rim all haggard up, I found a blue warp 9 replacement for just over $100 but I'd really like to keep a matching set (takasago). I wonder how much the dealer would rape me for just the blue rim minus the hub and spokes..... I had spent a good 2 hours at work detailing and admiring the bike right before I crashed, now looking at it all jacked makes me a little sad.

Thanks for the comments, I think at least I am becoming a little bit more experienced at crashing, instead of just a whirlwind of stuff flying by my head/pain this time I controlled my slide and it seemed to make all the difference between breaking/dislocating stuff and riding the wrecked bike home.

I am feeling it today, my legs and ribs are very sore but I'm sooooo glad I didn't break anything. I was somewhere in the middle of 3rd I'd say when it got away from me (35-40mph??).

On a side note:

Besides the obvious 2 spectacular crashes looping, my wheelie skills are actually getting pretty good. I went from basically 0 wheelie experience (haven't ridden a bike in almost 5 years) to being able to balance them out or ride them through the gears in less than 2 months of riding time. I understand I will probably crash again and that's ok with me but I don't think I could ever give up the thrill of hooliganism.

Edited by Turd Nugget

Being a 2013 do you have full coverage insurance? If you do maybe the insurance company would consider it a total loss .Settle with you and might even let you buy the bike back from them.

I'd be pretty apprehensive to report the crash to my insurance as I wouldn't want to explain how it happened. Insurance probably wouldn't cover the damage in this case. I'm guessing as I'm not an insurance agent but...

You need to remember where the rear brake is located, cover it and don't be afraid to use it when it starts drifting past balance point..

So this is your 2nd flip??...Bugger as they say...... "bad luck usually comes in 3's "..... :shocked:

If it's bad enough I would claim insurance, tell them you had to turn sharply to avoid an animal and lost control of the bike... :excuseme:

Edited by Craigo 485sm

You need to remember where the rear brake is located, cover it and don't be afraid to use it when it starts drifting past balance point..

So this is your 2nd flip??...Bugger as they say...... "bad luck usually comes in 3's "..... :shocked:

Good point!

If it's bad enough I would claim insurance, tell them you had to turn sharply to avoid an animal and lost control of the bike... :excuseme:

In America that's a crime know as filing a fraudulent insurance claim and can be a felony.

I understand I will probably crash again and that's ok with me but I don't think I could ever give up the thrill of hooliganism.

I strongly recommend you do your hooliganism in a controlled environment.  On the street with other vehicles you are not only risking your life, but the life of others.  Nobody wants to see you dead on the sidewalk or be the person that hit you because you lost control.  I enjoy doing wheelies and burnouts also, but I'm learning how much are freedoms to ride are at risk because of our own behavior.  Bad publicity and laws can be passed, quickly, that change our pastime forever.

I'd be pretty apprehensive to report the crash to my insurance as I wouldn't want to explain how it happened. Insurance probably wouldn't cover the damage in this case. I'm guessing as I'm not an insurance agent but...

I would keep it very simple and tell them I lost control of my bike and crashed .

Soooo, I guess I didn't learn my lesson the first time (DRZ came out fine but I broke collar and dislocated shoulder). Last night I looped again and although I am unscathed (helmet/jacket/Kevlar pants saved my ass!) my poor 13' SM has had better days. As I was sliding down the road I could see my bike in the median going end over end and knew it wasn't going to be good, a car pulled up and was muttering something about calling police so in my adrenaline fueled state I picked the bike up and booked it home only a few blocks away. I could tell driving it the bars or something was bent in the front, the bars were spun down, actually don't look bent but the upper triple clamp must have moved since the forks were out of alignment. I loosened them up and the front end all seems to be fine now minus the front rim which is just con ethic but really bums me out that it's curb rashed 3/4 the way around at the lip.

It appears the subframe is f-ed, I put a OEM rack on it with a tank bag mounted to that through a homemade aluminum plate, and it still bent the whole thing to sh!t. My question to you guys is what subframe will fit my 13'SM? I see some from e's/s's and they look different. Any certain year/model I should be looking for?? Yeah I know in the pictures my hand-guard is still jacked.

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381531666.271234.jpg

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381531679.064360.jpg

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381531694.348111.jpg

if you could ride it home, it's not bad. 

if you're going to keep looping it, either leave it as is, or sell it after fixing it and buy a 2000 model instead , save your money for replacing parts. 

if you're not going to keep looping it, just change out the parts and keep riding it. 

keep in mind every time you install HARD racks/luggage to a subframe, you increase the chances of hurting the subframe. 

soft bags will cushion it, hard bags/racks will hurt it. every time. 

I do have full coverage, but I do not think the damage is nearly enough to warrant a claim, for a few hundred bucks per wipeout I'm going to continue to fix/crash it and I'm ok with that. Hopefully less crashing.... I understand where some of you are coming from about wheelies on public roads, it's not like I'm doing this in rush hour traffic with cars everywhere. I drive at odd times when there is very light traffic and I rarely do wheelies in sight of cars, I'm not trying to show off, just enjoy the thrill. And as for bikers image....I live and ride in Milwaukee, every other vehicle is a Harley, there is nothing I could possibly do to further hurt the image of motorcyclists here!!

I was considering a used bike for these shenanigans but used drz's are way overpriced in my opinion and I have seen the problems others have had with them, I'm happy to have spent the money on a new one.

It's funny you say bad things come in 3's, a local here told me it took him looping it 3 times before he really got the hang of it and I was just thinking to myself the other day I had two left!

• Like 2