Sign in to follow this  

Dual sport kit advice

I'm thinking of buying anXr650r but want it street legal. Everyone seems to use the Baka designs kit but I saw a pretty slick looking kit from Tusk. Has anyone got an opinion on what to use?

Thanks.

I've got a mix of parts on my 650r. Trail tech X2 hid, BD handlebar switch, BD wiring harness, custom wound stator, and actually the rear blinkers are truck top of cab lights. Front blinkers are led ground effect lights. My Ktm has a enduro engineering kit which I love but they don't make anymore. You can buy the BD parts separate and wire in whatever you want

• Like 1

Baja Designs or nothing would be my choice...they stand behind their stuff,excellent quality,,,parts availability...or buy something else and 2 years later never find the parts or get to talk to someone that stands behind what they sell,,or know anything about it..

Not much of a decision there i think..

B

• Like 1

My BD was great!

Well... except for the wimpy useless horn,(I guess they are better now) LED taillight that filled with water and died,twice(seal the screw holes) wiring that was a pain,none of the connectors matched the bikes sized connectors,main switch assy that died, three brake light switches died, all this within a year.

But hey....the headlight still works,, and is bright!!

(I should of made my own system from the start, like it is now)

My BD was great!

Well... except for the wimpy useless horn,(I guess they are better now) LED taillight that filled with water and died,twice(seal the screw holes) wiring that was a pain,none of the connectors matched the bikes sized connectors,main switch assy that died, three brake light switches died, all this within a year.

May I ask how the hell are you getting taillight under water? LOL

• Like 1

I'm making my own. My 400 had a baja kit that worked well. My 600 has the tusk kit. It's junk, im throwing it out. It doesn't even let the headlight run on the battery. So I'd get baja or make your own.

Baja Designs or nothing would be my choice...they stand behind their stuff,excellent quality,,,parts availability...or buy something else and 2 years later never find the parts or get to talk to someone that stands behind what they sell,,or know anything about it..

Not much of a decision there i think..

B

BD's LED taillight and NEW Slim Control switch are the exact same parts that Rocky Mt. supplies (Tusk), believe their LED turns are the same as well. The wiring is MUCH nicer with BD, plug and play, where Tusks's needs to be figured out and connections changed or soldered. The BD headlight is better that the Polisport that Tusk sells and the wiring and battery and regulator mounted on the back of the number plate is nice.

Edited by MindBlower

My BD was great!

I've put 3 BD kits on, still have one of them after 5 years+ and no mechanical failures,  and ALL wiring matched my factory plugs exactly. Sounds like you had the wrong kit or your stock wiring was hacked up. ??

Horn volume is TOTALLY how much voltage it gets. it's PLENTY loud if fully powered. (pretty good for a cycle)   ;)

Edited by MindBlower

I have the BD kit on my XRR and it's worked great for years.  I installed it myself without much problem and electrical stuff is not my specialty.

I've put 3 BD kits on, still have one of them after 5 years+ and no mechanical failures,  and ALL wiring matched my factory plugs exactly. Sounds like you had the wrong kit or your stock wiring was hacked up. ??

Horn volume is TOTALLY how much voltage it gets. it's PLENTY loud if fully powered. (pretty good for a cycle)   ;)

I replaced the horn with a small 12Vdc salvage yard OEM unit.WOW! What a horn! My wiring was stock and never messed with.I have installed at least 5 other BD kits on other customers bikes, same issue with slightly miss matched male\female conections. But overall the tech support is very helpful!!!