Prolotherapy for ankle/shoulder

Hello Dr. Mark. I have 2 questions. I sprained my ankle twice bad and want to try Prolotherapy. It was bruised very bad on the outside, right where the ankle joint is and along the top. and as well at the bottom of the foot on the inside. Is prolotherapy worth it. I exercise my ankle 3 times a week with stability moves...I also tape it before I ride every time because im worried.

Next question. 2 years after my congruent arc latarjet with bankart repair after a dozen or so anterior dislocations.  the front of my shoulder often hurts. I also do physio still 3 times a week. Would prolotherapy help this as well?

Thank you268222_10150316418065661_5936704_n.jpg281981_10150316387080661_2276852_n.jpg380219_10150463712745661_530290206_n.jpg

Edited by MxPro83

Prolotherapy is not supported by evidenced based medicine. Its is supported by the docs who charge sky high prices that are not covered by conventional medical insurance, though.

Ok thats fair. Im not really concerned about the money. Any other advice or avenues I should look too?

Find a competent Orthopaedic surgeon with interest and experience in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine.

Conventional treatments inclusive of ligament reconstruction work well in the ankle. The Latajet you have looks like the bone block extends lateral to the joint line. Further X-rays need to be taken. If what I suspect is correct, shaving it down to the right level is possible arthroscopically.

Ok thank you for the advice.  What you say about the latarjet, Is this going to cause me injury later or just discomfort. Please enlighten me, appreciate it!

The bone graft should extend to the border of he socket. If it goes past the socket it leads to arthritis by impinging upon the ball.

Thank you for your information I have an xray and apt on Nov 15th with my surgeon. Is there anything I can do to get the nagging pain to go away im assuming I have a inflamed tendon. rest and anti-inflamatory?

Without looking at it, I couldn't even guess.

To the OP...I would highly recommend ART for shoulder issues.  I have had two experiences where I used ART to compliment medical treatment.  In both cases, after initial MD based treatment (NSAIDs, cortisone injections, reduced activity, immobilzation) I was faced with "next steps"...ie surgery.  Instead...I did ART..and both issues SOLVED.

1.  Rotator cuff and impingment issues caused by repetitive weightlifting, etc.  ART treatments completely solved my issues after 6 visits

2.  Recovery from Grade 2 shoulder separation.  12 weeks post....I was at a point that my shoulder was still painful, and only about 60%.  With 3 ART treatments, I was 100%, and no pain.

Basically...ART helps get your shoulder joint back in a location where it works better.  We are talking tiny displacements here...fractions is mms...but that is all it takes.  The treatment concentrates on the transition tissues between muscles and tendons.  ART is ideal for shoulder issues, as the shoulder geometry is heavily impacted by all the stabilizing muslces.  I am not sure what good ART would be for other joints....but for the shoulder...it is MAGIC.  ART is usually practiced by Chiros...and is dismissed as quackery by a lot of MDs...but my experience has been different.  The very first treatment I ever did was an eye opener.  I literally could not raise my arm above shoulder level without extreme pain.  MDs could offer nothing but the knife.  After 40 minutes of ART torture...there was literally NO pain.  The Doc told me not to get too excited.  He explained that within a day...it would be hurting like before...and I should come for another treatment.  A day later...pain was back.  I went in for another treatment.  No pain.  He then told me that this time...it would hold for 3-4 days.  5 days later...pain back.  Next treatment...a week.  Next treatment...a month.  After that....I would just go in every 2-3 months.  Finally..I stopped.

Not sure how much your shoulder specific symphtoms can be mitigated by improvments in alignment...but I woudl talk to a few ART guys.  Tell them your surgical history and symphtoms...they can tell you if ART will help you. 

Edited by Blutarsky

I am sorry to rain on your enthusiasm for Prolotherapy, but shoulder impingement syndrome as well as grade 2 AC separations typically resolve on their own without any specific treatment besides some routine ROM and strengthening exercises. 

When someone does a double blind prospective study comparing Prolotherapy to saline injections, then the truth or lack of same regarding this treatment will become evident.

ART has nothing to do with Prolotherapy, which does sound like quackery.  Around 2001-2002 I spent over a year under the care a multiple MDs trying to get my shoulder rotator cuff problems resolved.  PT.  Cortisone injections.  Suggestions of surgery by all.  What a joke.  None of the MDs would acknowledge the underlying problem.  After working out for years, doing a lot of internal rotation stengthening excercises, I had pulled my whole shoulder joint out of equilibrium (hunched over weightlifer look).  None of the treatments that MDs do, could address this underlying cause.  When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.  Two months of ART therapy...and I was 100% fixed.  More recently, when I had a grade 2 AC separation, I followed the normal regime directed by my MD.  And indeed...2 months later...all seemed well.  But then...a month after that, my shoulder pain started getting WORSE.  Much worse.  Again...docs had nothing but the same old suggestiong.  NSAIDs, rest, PT.  Did not work.  (4) ART treatments...problem 100% fixed.  There is a reason that virtually every NFL, NHL, MLB and NBA team has their trainers trained in ART.....

While my experiences are antecdotal, and the number of clinical studies of ART is limited, I can only speak to my own experience, and the phenomenal results I saw after ONE treatment.  I have also recommended others who had similar (shoulder) issues seek out ART treatment, and their experiences were similar.  Again...I have only used it for shoulder issues, and in that area, it works very well as it addresses underlying issues (joint function heavily impacted by muscle balance) that other traditional medical treatments do not.  Anyone with chronic shoulder issues which have even a chance of being impacted by surrounding musclulature should consider ART.  My first issue, for instance, when I had the rotator cuff issues, was caused primarily by the bicep tendon.  It was pulling the joint out of equilibrium in a way that caused other issues.  Fixing the bicep tendon problems fixed everything else.

Edited by Blutarsky

ART has nothing to do with Prolotherapy, which does sound like quackery.  Around 2001-2002 I spent over a year under the care a multiple MDs trying to get my shoulder rotator cuff problems resolved.  PT.  Cortisone injections.  Suggestions of surgery by all.  What a joke.  None of the MDs would acknowledge the underlying problem.  After working out for years, doing a lot of internal rotation stengthening excercises, I had pulled my whole shoulder joint out of equilibrium (hunched over weightlifer look).  None of the treatments that MDs do, could address this underlying cause.  When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.  Two months of ART therapy...and I was 100% fixed.  More recently, when I had a grade 2 AC separation, I followed the normal regime directed by my MD.  And indeed...2 months later...all seemed well.  But then...a month after that, my shoulder pain started getting WORSE.  Much worse.  Again...docs had nothing but the same old suggestiong.  NSAIDs, rest, PT.  Did not work.  (4) ART treatments...problem 100% fixed.  There is a reason that virtually every NFL, NHL, MLB and NBA team has their trainers trained in ART.....

While my experiences are antecdotal, and the number of clinical studies of ART is limited, I can only speak to my own experience, and the phenomenal results I saw after ONE treatment.  I have also recommended others who had similar (shoulder) issues seek out ART treatment, and their experiences were similar.  Again...I have only used it for shoulder issues, and in that area, it works very well as it addresses underlying issues (joint function heavily impacted by muscle balance) that other traditional medical treatments do not.  Anyone with chronic shoulder issues which have even a chance of being impacted by surrounding musclulature should consider ART.  My first issue, for instance, when I had the rotator cuff issues, was caused primarily by the bicep tendon.  It was pulling the joint out of equilibrium in a way that caused other issues.  Fixing the bicep tendon problems fixed everything else.

I had an extensive amount of ART from a seasoned professional and it did not do much...My comment on Prolotherapy is that it did help with patella tendinosis, although Platlett Rich Plasma injections helped more.  I wish a competent ortho had been willing to help me with surgury to address my mechanical fault.  I had to modify my activity instead and basically give up dirt back riding.

I've tried Prolotherapy and have not found it to do much really. Having Plasm rich Platelets injected is better. It has helped me quite a bit!