How much faster are 250f's now, compared to the mid-2000's?

Does a 250f really need launch control?

A few times I've seen quotes, where people mention mods to 250fs can limit some of the wheelspin that occurs.

I myself owned a couple of 2006 250fs--------they were fun to ride, but I truly don't remember having ANY issue with wheelspin.

Have the newer ones become that much more powerful?

Edited by CG118

no

The numbers being quoted for the newer kx and ktm 250fs seems unreal. Over 40hp. I believe my 250f were quoted aroubd 32-35 or so. 5-9 more hp is huge. Im not sure i believe it, seems just inflated numbers or maybe i really need to catch a ride on a new 250sxf

Way more powerful. My shop guy has a fully dialed, ported, piped tuned etc etc 280sxf. It makes as much power as a new 250sxf on the dyno and still feels slower when riding in compared to the new 250sxf....

pretty sure sxf250 makes 42 hp stock

There isn't nearly as much of a difference as the magazines and some people would like you to think. Dyno any 2006 250F back to back with a brand new one and you will see, there is very little difference. Look at motocycleusa.com for their shootouts. The 2006 KX250F peaked at 35.7hp. On the same dyno the 2013 KX250F peaked at 36.0hp.

Edited by KJ790

Very interesting guys.  I reference the motorcycleusa website frequently.  Even used it to compare my old 2004 yz450f to some other bikes.   Good base of data. 

The 36 for a 2013 kx is wrong, only ktm and Kawi have broken the 40 mark I believe it was like 41.6 for the 2013

The 36 for a 2013 kx is wrong, only ktm and Kawi have broken the 40 mark I believe it was like 41.6 for the 2013

Numbers are arbitrary. Every dyno is different, so what is important is to compare back to back runs under the same conditions on the same dynos. There used to be a dyno near me that showed my 2004 250F at 40hp, however my friend's dyno showed it closer to 33hp. Actual numbers are meaningless.

I am NOT considering changing bikes.  I am just posing the question. 

A few times I've seen quotes, where people mention mods to 250fs that can limit some of the wheelspin that occurs.  Furthermore, now there is a 250f with launch control.

I myself owned a couple of 2006 250fs--------they were fun to ride, but I truly don't remember having ANY issue with wheelspin.

Mods, please don't move this post.

I am NOT considering changing bikes. I am just posing the question.

A few times I've seen quotes, where people mention mods to 250fs that can limit some of the wheelspin that occurs. Furthermore, now there is a 250f with launch control.

Mods, please don't move this post.

they have came a LONG way, they are a good bit better all around including the engine department

Dang.  I got moved.  C'mon mods.  Why?

my 10 kx250f is loads faster then the 06 i had.

Not really. The mags want you to believe that the bikes are hugely changed each year. They aren't. There's barely any difference. Except the like 01-04 250fs. The others are pretty much the same as a brand new bike.

Every year since 05 theyve gotten more reliable more power and heavier if you ask me. And harder to work on with the big aluminum frames blocking everything.

Peak numbers dont really mean that much in my opinion. It is more about broad usable power. I recently purchased my first 2012 kx250f but have been around them for years (couldnt give up my 2 strokes) and there is a large difference in the way the bike feels and handles. As far as the comment about bike being the same from 04 on lol you forget fuel injection or what...and not to mention in 2012 they went to a dual injector setup to reduce the power drop on the over rev. There is no comparison in throttle response between a carb and a fuel injected bike. I will never go back to a carb again.