Valve job cost - 98 400

So I took my 98 400 into a local bike shop in Roanoke VA three weeks ago. My valves are shot so I asked them to go ahead and rebuild the head (valves, springs, cotters, seat grind). So I walk away thinking im looking at about 400 bucks. Today, it was supposed to have been completed. I called today at 3 PM and they had not touched the bike. Said they cant get to it till Oct 25th. Now let me quote this next part -- "Oh sir, its also going to be 864 dollars for the rebuild". Im all about supporting local business but geeze. 800 bucks for valves,springs and grinding? I think this place's service dept is subsidizing their lack of traffic on the sales floor. Someone talk to me. Im teetering on going to get it tomorrow.

Sent mine to big bore thumpers. Was $325 to cute a four valve seats and press in new valve guides. Also includes two stainless intake valves and new springs along with new keepers.

I think you could do the whole valve job for like half the price as they want. You'll have to disassemble the engine though, Just to take off the head and send it to big bore thumpers. Talk to Jeff on here and he'll hook you up.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm in Roanoke. I take all my stuff to a guy in Lynchburg. Does great work. Pm me and I'll get you his info. He's doing a port and polish and valve seals and guides

I'm in Roanoke. I take all my stuff to a guy in Lynchburg. Does great work. Pm me and I'll get you his info. He's doing a port and polish and valve seals and guides

Less than $200

I actually forgot about posting this thread. This saga has gotten much deeper. I STILL dont have this bike back from star city powersports. Its going on 4 months now. Every two weeks i get a call from them saying they found something else wrong. To this point they have completely rebuilt the carb, all 5 valves replaced, all springs and cotters, they replaced the intake cam as they said the gear was spun on the journal, replaced the cam chain guide, and replaced the crank bearing. It has been least two weeks between each repair.

This bike will be new when i get it back. It better run like it. They have me up to 1600.00 right now. I wont be taking anything else there i can guarantee that.

Its worth noting that this bike ran when i took it in. I knew the center valve was bent slightly and i took it in to have the valves done. Nothing else. Im in too deep to turn back now. Lesson learned.

Guy from roanoke --

Whos your boy in lynchburg? Ive been looking for people to ride with. Maybe we can ride this spring. IF I have it back by then!

Not to make you feel bad, but WTF are you thinking?  The bike is worth maybe 1k average, most probably 1,200.  SO you get it back and it runs great, but you STILL have a 98 YZ400 that is worth 1k.  Why not keep the 1600 and go by a later model bike that has been babied?

You can get a 2006 YZ450F here in AZ for $2300-$2800 bucks all day long. Tell them to keep it, add another $800 bucks and get yourself a new bike.

Then refuse to give them the title when they ask for it!    :banghead:

Edited by writebrian

I give ya it's a old bike too be dropin that type of coin on and sounds like there milking him a little but I think your being a little hard on him. Yes he could go get another bike for that price but nothing guarantees the new bike won't need 2000 grand worth of work after a month of riding. Not every one has the ability or tools too tare into a moter and do the work themself self. I just do basic stuff my self. Maybe he realy likes the 98. He got bit by a 4 stroke it happens.

Edited by Mtrain730

You can get a 2006 YZ450F here in AZ for $2300-$2800 bucks all day long. Tell them to keep it, add another $800 bucks and get yourself a new bike.

Then refuse to give them the title when they ask for it! :banghead:

Prices must be much different there. That bike you are talking about would be 4k here. If i was lucky. 2800 might get an 02-03 in decent shape but like i said, im in too deep. I

One im 4-6 hours from either of those places. Bikes are stupidly expensive here for some reason.

Only at the dealer you mentioned.  There are deals everywhere.  Yes I think you've paid too much for this valve job, however it sounds like they are doing more than valve.  You mentioned crank bearing.  Did they split the case and just replace one bearing? Also they don't do their own machine work.  They disassemble the motor and it goes to a guy in fincastle.  They are marking up his cost and adding labor for the teardown.

I do my own assembly and disassemble and take my stuff to a machine shop that has done several bikes and quads for me.

Sending you a PM

We ride all winter as well.  Currently my bike is getting a P&P, valve job and pumper carb.  I'll have it back up by february.  I'm not a racer or MX rider.  Mostly trails and my KLX is a dual sport so I do some forest roads as well.  Look at starcitydirt.com for riders in roanoke as well.  I go my the same username there.