Sign in to follow this  

Gearcase oils

What's everyone run in their 2stroke wet clutch cases? I was running atf(type f) but just looking at other options. I've been told about the 80wt but I can't see using an oil for a clutch in my bike that I use in my trucks differentials lol.

What's everyone run in their 2stroke wet clutch cases? I was running atf(type f) but just looking at other options. I've been told about the 80wt but I can't see using an oil for a clutch in my bike that I use in my trucks differentials lol.

Book calls for Yamalube 10w-40, but I hate the smell of it.  I feel that it has a burned smell to it as you sniff the bottle.  We quickly switched to Shell Rotella T Triple in 15w-40.  This oil gets great reviews on this forum.  It meets the JASO specs for dirtbikes or something like that.  His clutches last longer now than with the yamalube and my son is HARD on clutches. 

Yeah I just bought a new kg clutch set and really don't want to toast it out. Lol. Thanks again I will try the search. :)

Edited by seanhaugen

I have mixed good old Valvoline 10-30 with Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer with great results. Runs cooler, little or no noise, very smooth shifting.

My friend runs Mercedes Benz oil, not sure what weight but he gets it free from a friend, I run regular 80w because my bikes an 89 and I don't mess with the specs

Used to use Bel Ray gearsaver all the time with good results.  Recently switched to Rotella T because I'm cheap, and it saves a few bucks.  Seems to work well, but the clutch engagement doesn't seem as smooth as it was with the Gearsaver.

Pro Honda 80/85 is cheap and works good. Not Rotella cheap, but I think it works better. Less clutch "squawk" in my KTM w/ rekluse.

I run Klotz 10w40 or 15w50 depending on temperature. Stuff smells wonderful and usually looks just as good coming out as going in.