Sign in to follow this  

'04 CRF450R + Rekluse EXP - Starter gear problems?

Hi guys,

Bit of a newbie here - so excuse me if this is something dumb that I just can't figure out.

1. I have a 2004 CRF450R that I have motarded, and am having a local shop do some work to fix the electrics, a bit of routine maint. and a new Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 clutch!!

2. I went to the shop today and they are having trouble with the starter gear. 

The Rekluse clutch basket has a centre with STRANGE GROVES that are not the same as the centre in the OEM. As a result it looks like the starter gear (star shape kinda) can NOT go in?

3. The instructions say to heat up the basket and freeze the starter gear - which is fine, (not yet attempted I believe) but the grooves still look far to different to work?

I will try to post a few pics I took, and I am hoping it is just my noobiness here causing the problem, not the actual parts?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Cheers,

DB

Here are a few pics to explain my situation:

1. Here is my new Rekluse basket:

tnve.jpg

2. Here is the basket that was in my bike:

qhtv.jpg

3. Here is me attempting to locate the starter gear in the centre of the Rekluse basket.

roc.JPG

4. Here is a demonstration of how different the grooves are on the new basket to my starter gear.

3f2g.jpg

What am I doing wrong here guys?

Thanks again,

DB

Shite.....was afraid of that - I was just banking on the fact I have NFI and am learning here!

I've already sent them an email...will try to get onto them properly soon..

Thanks for the assistance!

I 2nd the "call rekluse" advice. And for future reference, the tech support there is outstanding. If you ever have questions, nothing against asking on a forum, but in about 1/3 the time it took to post that excellent and well thought out post with awesome photos.. :) .. Joe or others there would have had ya sorted out .

Edited by MELK-MAN

I 2nd the "call rekluse" advice. And for future reference, the tech support there is outstanding. If you ever have questions, nothing against asking on a forum, but in about 1/3 the time it took to post that excellent and well thought out post with awesome photos.. :) .. Joe or others there would have had ya sorted out .

Yeah....the super frustrating thing is that you are too right.

Unfortunately I am in Bangkok, and I didn't get to the shop and discover the problem until mid-afternoon on Sat.

This meant it was late Friday night in the US, and Rekluse wouldn't be answering any calls for another 60 hrs....shafted.

So, I sent them an email and in the meantime came here! 

Really dig the helpful advice and general databank of information goodness that you guys have here. 

If I were back in my own country I'd be just getting mates round the corner to help me out.

But over here with the cultural/linguistic/idea-of-what-a-proper-motorcycle-is barriers, the internet and forums like these are worth their weight in gold.

Thanks again and I'll report back when the problem is all solved...

• Like 1

no worries.. gonna love that clutch.

Odd that the basket is stamped "CRF 450" though. Curious as to what they tell you, perhaps a different gear goes into there.

Edited by MELK-MAN

do not worry it is correct. mine was same way. it will only go in one or four ways just turn it till it drops in. after it is heated and gear is cooled mine fell in. works like a champ.

Looks correct to me. They machine their basket like that for extra oil flow vs stock, I assume. Just line the basket's peaks with the gear's spline troughs and she should fit, albeit tightly of course, as it should be a press-fit.

Edited by Eddie8v

^^ Thanks heaps for the pic danfor50, and for the help in general from dan & Eddie.

I just got an email from Mike (he refers to pics 3 & 4 above):

"The basket is supposed to be that way, if you look at the picture where your holding the gear up to the basket the grooves do line up with the gear just not in every single groove, it is designed by our engineers to be this way. Make sure that spacer that’s is in your hand is also installed on there, please follow the instructions and you will not have any issues." Mike @ Rekluse.

He also sent a very nice Hi-res pic like the one above to help out. 

These guys seriously have awesome customer service!!

Anyway, it looks like I'll be doing the heating of the basket and the freezing of the gear myself - i'll get the instructions back in a day or two - but is there anything I need to be careful of in general?

Thanks again for all the help - and no dis to the others who thought it was the wrong basket.

I was none the wiser and not having actually installed it for yourself, it's easy to think that it is a square peg going in a round hole!

Edited by DenkiBlue

one tip.. be sure to "break in" the exp ring. Do multiple revs, slow speed low rpm where it's disengaged, then rev to engage.. do this for a good while BEFORE you hit the trail or track. The weight wedge ball bearings need to "mate" or something correctly inside the exp ring. I mistakenly didn't do this (there were no instructions to do so) on the exp2.0 .. not the full coreEXP. The rings weight wedges wore the tear-drop shaped grooves quickly and it didn't work correctly after only 20 hours or so. They sent a new one, but told me about the "break in", so i do that now, and have had no issues for many many hours.

• Like 1