Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha Just Got A Yamaha Blaster

Well I just sold my KTM and bought this blaster for a reasonable price, and I have about $100 left over, the cables are stretched, and the rear brake doesn't work at all, It needs a gear shifter, grips are toast, handlebar pad, and front tires don't have allot left tread on them. I plan on riding it a bit more before I spend allot on it though.

Blaster 2.jpg

Blaster 3.jpg

Blaster 1.jpg

The rear brakes probably just have air in the lines. A quick and proper line bleeding May fix your problem.

Well I just sold my KTM and bought this blaster for a reasonable price, and I have about $100 left over, the cables are stretched, and the rear brake doesn't work at all, It needs a gear shifter, grips are toast, handlebar pad, and front tires don't have allot left tread on them. I plan on riding it a bit more before I spend allot on it though.

. Rear brakes always go out on these. For right now blead the brake line and check your pads then fix the important stuff like the cables. Then get grips then get tires then pick up your bar pad as it's not important. Check your chain and sprockets and it is a 2t do you could be rebuilding anytime .

Good luck bleeding the rear brakes cause they are cable brakes. I had a blaster for 7 years and never had rear brakes on it. they never worked at all. I replaced the pads and adjusted them so they did work but as soon as i used them once or twice i had to take it all apart and adajust it again just to get 2 more uses out of them. there is a guy on blasterforum.com that builds a set of hydros for around $185. something to look into in the future.

Good luck bleeding the rear brakes cause they are cable brakes. I had a blaster for 7 years and never had rear brakes on it. they never worked at all. I replaced the pads and adjusted them so they did work but as soon as i used them once or twice i had to take it all apart and adajust it again just to get 2 more uses out of them. there is a guy on blasterforum.com that builds a set of hydros for around $185. something to look into in the future.

I'm 99% sure the brakes are hydraulic disc all around...I could be wrong but I'm almost positive.

Maybe that is why your brakes never worked?

I'm 99% sure the brakes are hydraulic disc all around...I could be wrong but I'm almost positive.

Maybe that is why your brakes never worked?

I'm pretty sure the brakes are hydraulic, however there is usually a cable parking brake that also runs to rear caliper, maybe that's why he couldn't get them to work.

Nope. All blasters, 1988-2006 had cable brakes front and back. I could be wrong about the front. Yamaha may have changed those in 03 to hydraulic but I know for a fact that 88-02 had cable in the rear. Mine was an 02.

Nope. All blasters, 1988-2006 had cable brakes front and back. I could be wrong about the front. Yamaha may have changed those in 03 to hydraulic but I know for a fact that 88-02 had cable in the rear. Mine was an 02.

It was all the way around because of the cable drum problems, look at his picture too

I looked the best I could and it looked like he still had the stock rat brake cause I could see the auto adjuster on the caliper but want 100% on it. So yeah. Have fun bleeding the brakes. :p

I looked the best I could and it looked like he still had the stock rat brake cause I could see the auto adjuster on the caliper but want 100% on it. So yeah. Have fun bleeding the brakes. :p

lol kids again, theres a master cylinder by the foot peg with a line running to the caliper, no adjuster. research it a little bit

There is no master cylinder there. That's just the dust boot you see. That is definitely a cable caliper because it is also in the stock position. If you convert to Hydro on the rear you have to make a custom bracket that would have to mount the caliper more towards the rear of the disk. No reservoir there either.

Who really cares? Sorry not everyone's a master mechanic on the Yamaha blaster. I tried to help and made a mistake. If it's cable, buy some new pads and make sure everything operates properly, if it's hydraulic bleed them and slap some new pads on. Brakes aren't rocket science.

I will try and get some more pictures up, I have done some stuff to it and it looks a little different, took it to the track and had a great time!

I had an older Blaster awhile back...it had the cable brakes and they were garbage.  I happened upon another Blaster forum and found a guy there who makes an aftermarket hydraulic brake that bolts on...he uses some of your own parts as I recall...was not very expensive and worked great.

I had an older Blaster awhile back...it had the cable brakes and they were garbage.  I happened upon another Blaster forum and found a guy there who makes an aftermarket hydraulic brake that bolts on...he uses some of your own parts as I recall...was not very expensive and worked great.

its on blaster forum. he uses gsxr parts for the conversion. fairly inexpensive.

Awk08 is the guys screen name. You ship him your pedal and he does the rest. Lat time I asked him about it he did them for 185. That was a year ago.