Sign in to follow this  

Crf250x vs kdx220 vs yz250

I currently own a Crf250x and am getting tired of the maintenance. It seems everytime I turn around I have to get a valve adjustment.

I am just considering a kdx220. It looks fun with lower maintenance, but I am concerned with performance. How does it handle compaired to a crf250 and how is it on power.

The whole reason I got a Crf250x was to get a more modern bike with better cornering abilities. I find myself riding on mostly tight trails at the base of the southern appalachian mountains. The crf250 is just too heavy for rock crawling, so I figure the kdx will do better, because of its weight.

I am also considering a yz250 for trail riding, but am uncertain as it seems it will need alot of mods to make it trail capable.

Please do not suggest a KTM I have had enough trouble out of them :)

I currently own a Crf250x and am getting tired of the maintenance. It seems everytime I turn around I have to get a valve adjustment.

I am just considering a kdx220. It looks fun with lower maintenance, but I am concerned with performance. How does it handle compaired to a crf250 and how is it on power.

The whole reason I got a Crf250x was to get a more modern bike with better cornering abilities. I find myself riding on mostly tight trails at the base of the southern appalachian mountains. The crf250 is just too heavy for rock crawling, so I figure the kdx will do better, because of its weight.

I am also considering a yz250 for trail riding, but am uncertain as it seems it will need alot of mods to make it trail capable.

two stroke is bike of choice for tight trails ,kdx200 is reliable but dated, yz is solid but way more bike than 250f, there is also the recently discontinued 125/150 husky & of course the bad ass ktm 200

Why does everything think the kdx200/220 are good bikes what is so good about them? And I'm not bashing I really don't know what is so good about them

Reliable. Two stroke. Bomb proof engine. Plenty of aftermarket parts. Very usable powerband. Ultimate woods machine.

Do they compete well?

5th out of 15 in the 200C class with a 13 year old rider in his first race if that means anything...

Edited by nholden98

If you go with the KDX get the 200 they come with a bigger carb and more top end power.  Way more fun than the X, the YZ is a different league.

Yeah but you can't race them

Not all dirtbikes are "race" bikes. They're all designed for different purposes.

The X has the wide ratio transmission. What transmission is in the KDX? I'm assuming something similar to a 300 XC if your taking ultimate woods bike.

The X has the wide ratio transmission. What transmission is in the KDX? I'm assuming something similar to a 300 XC if your taking ultimate woods bike.

Yes, it's 6 speed WR. The stock silencer has a drain plug to blow out the spoo, no packing needed ever. It's also whisper quiet and has a spark arrester.

I have two kdx's and two ktm's. The 2005 exc200 ktm is my favorite. My kdx's might be for sale soon. Sold all my four strokes this year.

im surprised you find the crf heavy. I have a kdx 220 with a platinium PC pipe and its great in the tight stuff. ive ridden the 250x its a nice bike but the KDX will feel lighter and have more power if it has a FMF or PC pipe on it. their great for tight technical riding. its a 2stroke though so it requires a different riding style.