Japan XR250L 1998

Hi Guys,

Just got a 98 XR250L and want to change a few parts on it, If i am ordering parts do i just order for a 1998 XR250R?

Are these bikes the same? Is everything interchangeable?

I was wanting a full Exhaust system that being a FMF powercore4,

Do these come a full system? Every one ive looked at online only have the tail end and not the full system or do i just use a 'R' header pipe or will my 'L' fit it? Any info on this would be great! And any other info i can do to the bike

The 250R and 250L are NOT the same bikes - they have different parts, many are not interchangeable.

See if you can find an exhaust system originally designed for the L. I am not sure if headers designed for the R will fit in the L.

wait for others to chime in

you might not even have an xr250l. if you live in cambodia, chances are you have md30 model, which is kind of like a hybrid of the 250r and 250l. whats your chassis number?

you might not even have an xr250l. if you live in cambodia, chances are you have md30 model, which is kind of like a hybrid of the 250r and 250l. whats your chassis number?

Yes its a MD30 and i have been told that the R parts are all interchangeable chassis MD30-1003331 and engine MD17E-1703323 the bike shops here tell me its just a XR250 and all R parts will fit but want to confirm before i buy them

yup in that case the muffler should be interchangeable with all 96-04 250r models. you can keep the same headers, and just change the pipe. but be careful, not all parts are interchangeable. download this parts book for reference http://www.mediafire.com/download/2a56q4yr8o4qvdv/honda_xr250%2C_baja_95-98_fiche.djvu

yup in that case the muffler should be interchangeable with all 96-04 250r models. you can keep the same headers, and just change the pipe. but be careful, not all parts are interchangeable. download this parts book for reference http://www.mediafire.com/download/2a56q4yr8o4qvdv/honda_xr250%2C_baja_95-98_fiche.djvu

I want to change the header pipe to the R as its 3mm bigger and then i can fit a FMF powercore 4, Will get a far better response that extra 3mm, Cheers for your help guys its been great

I want to change the header pipe to the R as its 3mm bigger and then i can fit a FMF powercore 4, Will get a far better response that extra 3mm, Cheers for your help guys its been great

I don't think so, you won't gain torque, that's for sure, you gonna loose some. I have the same bike and live in Thailand,  i would prefer the xr250l header over the xr250r header, if you put  a different carb or tune the carb it might be an option, I have the standard header with FMF Q4 system, the power didn't make any difference until I fine tuned the carb, put different jets in it, then I could feel an improvement.

But up to you, if you can get  a cheap header try it out. Most of the part from the XR250R will fit, the carb doesn't fit, the e-start motor is in the way, shock, suspension and most engine parts are identical, the magneto has a higher output because of the battery that it carries. Valves are the same on the L model and R model, kibblewhite valves are a great upgrade...

I don't think so, you won't gain torque, that's for sure, you gonna loose some. I have the same bike and live in Thailand,  i would prefer the xr250l header over the xr250r header, if you put  a different carb or tune the carb it might be an option, I have the standard header with FMF Q4 system, the power didn't make any difference until I fine tuned the carb, put different jets in it, then I could feel an improvement.

But up to you, if you can get  a cheap header try it out. Most of the part from the XR250R will fit, the carb doesn't fit, the e-start motor is in the way, shock, suspension and most engine parts are identical, the magneto has a higher output because of the battery that it carries. Valves are the same on the L model and R model, kibblewhite valves are a great upgrade...

Ok thanks for the info il leave the standard header on it then as its still brand new looking, Will the FMF fit or do i need a mid pipe? Also tell me your full set up so i can look into the same thing as in valves, jets carb ETC.

I also wanna change the steel tank for a plastic one.

Ok thanks for the info il leave the standard header on it then as its still brand new looking, Will the FMF fit or do i need a mid pipe? Also tell me your full set up so i can look into the same thing as in valves, jets carb ETC.

installing a plastic tank like the one found on a 250r is going to be tricky since they use different mounts. you might have to be inventive and do some minor cutting and welding on the frame to get it to work. if you do end up doing that, share pictures of the procedure.

When I ordered the FMF Q4 from ebay, it was perfect fit, no adjustments - just clean bolt on, it was designed for the XR250R but fitted without problems, plastic tank is another issue, I have one on my XR600 and you don't know how much I would prefer a steel tank to the plastic one, it might be lighter, but it's easy to crack them when going down on rocky section, the only fix to it is a new tank, as the plastic welds wouldn't last to long, now I have two steel tanks for my XR250, a larger one for long distance riding and smaller one, that I keep for small rides, both are covered in some kind of tank cover custom made, so no scratch ever comes close to the surface

I have an XR 250 too.  I'm in Vietnam so it's probably the same model as yours.  I need to find a local parts source if that's possible. Otherwise, I have to get parts muled from the States.

Let me know where you're getting your parts from.

I want to make my way over to the other SE Asia countries.  Lets keep in touch.

Hi there from NZ.

be careful. i have an MD30 here in New Zealand, electric start with no kick, I worked in a honda dealer and found that everyone said the same,,,, fit carb and pipe!  Turns out the MD30 has a low compression piston and a cam with radically different timing as in very mellow. i had mine bored to 10thou over with a genuine piston and fitted a genuine honda XR cam BUT i had to swap the auto decomp unit from the MD cam to the XR cam as there is something different in the actuation of that thing. it goes strong with original carb and is quiet with the original pipe on it.

The suspension is also shorter and softer.

i hope this helps and i can give you the honda part numbers for what i fitted if necessary.

cheers from NZ

stu

further to this

Md30 piston is 13101 KCZ 000

Cam is             14000KCZ000

xr piston fitted is    13102 KCE 305 with rings to suit

cam is     14000 KCE 670

genuine honda part numbers    with the cam just swap over the decomp system  

mine now wheelies in 3rd gear where as before it went like a wet blanket and was lucky to lift front wheel in 2nd!

Hi there from NZ.

be careful. i have an MD30 here in New Zealand, electric start with no kick, I worked in a honda dealer and found that everyone said the same,,,, fit carb and pipe!  Turns out the MD30 has a low compression piston and a cam with radically different timing as in very mellow. i had mine bored to 10thou over with a genuine piston and fitted a genuine honda XR cam BUT i had to swap the auto decomp unit from the MD cam to the XR cam as there is something different in the actuation of that thing. it goes strong with original carb and is quiet with the original pipe on it.

The suspension is also shorter and softer.

i hope this helps and i can give you the honda part numbers for what i fitted if necessary.

cheers from NZ

stu

Nice work.

Hi I am building a xr250L md30 as we speak, I have bored it out to a 280, I have modified the head and cylinder to block off the crankcase ventilation system, I have a new genuine xr250r cam for it, I don't understand why the need to swap the decomp mechanism over, can you please explain why this is so

Cheers

Chad

I have a 06 md30, is it still called a 250L. Mine only says xr250 on the graphics ( don't know if original)

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397731492.279983.jpg

That's the one mate, it's identical to mine, XR250L, I'm in the process of getting a keihin FCR pumper carb either from japan specifically made for the md30 or a place in south Australia is going to set up a keihin fcr3mm for me, it's bit pricey tho but will bring it to life

Here's mine, going back together ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397805416.587937.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397805478.676392.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397805520.168689.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397805547.423523.jpg

2006 XR250L