Sign in to follow this  

New seals, still leaking.

Hello there!

I serviced my front forks yesterday with new bearings and seals. One of the forks did leak before the service and now it leaked again. Anyone have any ideas what might caus this, I mean at all... anything...

The "metall" surface on the forks has no scratches and looks fine. I´m looking to sell the bike soon and I don´t want to sell a bike that isnt working properly, huge bummer.

any ideas, anyone??

its an kx 250 2006

/ Hankan190

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be my assembly process.

First I sanded all the edges off my fork seal driver. Then I would install the fork seals with no pounding as it was distorting the seals. I install the seals by standing the fork upright on the workbench and with the fork seal driver on I hang my body weight on the driver to seat the seal no pounding. then I check to see the clip will seat.

My seals are lasting much longer now.

Alignment?

Fork seal driver?

Did you protect the seal with plastic when sliding it onto the fork tube.

hankan, I have the same problem with one fork on my KTM300.

My right side fork started leaking a little so I decided to fix the problem.

Replaced both left and right sides at the same time but still the right side leaked.

I ordered another new seal for the right side and put it in and it STILL leaked.

Like the first time I replaced the seals, I followed all the recommended techniques, putting a plastic bag over the sharp edges and making sure I covered it with oil.

The only thing I can think of is that the long silver slider part must have some imperfection.  I am gonna take it to a machine shop to see if they can detect a flaw.  And then see if they can fix it.

New bushes and seals. Probably fork alighn ment

This one, or a nick/damage to the actual lower fork leg.

hankan, I have the same problem with one fork on my KTM300.

My right side fork started leaking a little so I decided to fix the problem.

Replaced both left and right sides at the same time but still the right side leaked.

I ordered another new seal for the right side and put it in and it STILL leaked.

Like the first time I replaced the seals, I followed all the recommended techniques, putting a plastic bag over the sharp edges and making sure I covered it with oil.

The only thing I can think of is that the long silver slider part must have some imperfection.  I am gonna take it to a machine shop to see if they can detect a flaw.  And then see if they can fix it.

Well, how about that?  I pulled the fork leg apart and inspected the seal.  The seal spring isnt floppy loose but it looks like it isnt tight either.

For those who do not know this, you can shorten the spring so it holds the seal lip tighter.

To do this remove the spring from the seal.  Then look closely to find where the spring is screwed together.  Untwist that joint about a half or full turn and then the male side of the spring with come out of the femaile side.  

The next two steps are extremely important.

First cut off anywhere between 1/14 or 3/8 inch from the female side.  Don't screw it up and cut the male side!

Second, before reinserting the male side into the newly cut female side, twist the male and female ends each at least a half turn backwards and then insert the male end into the female end and release.  This lets the springs natural recoil motion twist the male end into the female end. 

Also, before reassembling the fork, I took the advice of someone elses posting from another topic here.  That is, I also put a tiny and light covering of axle grease on the silver tube at the seal.  Then slide the seal over the thin film of grease.  Then - very important - use brake cleaner spray to clean any oil and grease from the rest of the sliver leg part.  Otherwise, the silver tube will collect dust and sand or whatever and slide it all back under your newly installed seal.  Big NO NO.

Then - very important - use brake cleaner spray to clean any oil and grease from the rest of the sliver leg part.  Otherwise, the silver tube will collect dust and sand or whatever and slide it all back under your newly installed seal.  Big NO NO.

Probably prudent to oil the fork legs with fork oil after you wash all the lubricant (and anti-corrosion coating) oil off of them with brake cleaner.