Sign in to follow this  

Washington Opinions on these cargo trailers? Or any other better bang for your buck specials out there?

Get at least a 6x10.

Agree- if planning on hauling 3 bikes plus gear. I prefer the double doors and using ramp. Ramp doors seem to get tweaked and become repair items long term. Also suggest getting "bike shoes" for tie down. With removable tie downs and double doors - these trailers are handy for other uses in the puget sound weather.

I'm pretty sure this is the brand of trailer that I have, only much bigger than what you want. Pretty decent trailer! IMO most of the manufacturers build the same trailer, there are some that build to a much higher level (like that 2nd link), but you will pay through the nose for them. If you live near Oly, go check the trailers out and then look at a "premium" brand at the dealer down the street and you can really compare the difference.

I also would go bigger than a 5' wide trailer. In fact I doubt you could get 3 bikes in that size trailer. My van is at least 6' feet wide and it barely holds 3 bikes.Go for a 6'x10'. Cargo doors with a ramp is what I use, I wish I had a ramp door now, even with the maintenance that they (might) require. Also with a ramp door, you can throw some jack stands under the corners and it give you a nice "deck" while you are out.

Do your research....not sure about the NW but definetley a lot of guys building them in SoCal and some are very sturdy...some not so much....closer inspection is easy to see.

If it's just for your bike and your bike only,then yes...but we all want to pick our friends up in the new trailer.....

Bigger is better..some have a side door that make tying them down in the morning a little easier...I have found the walls to be a pain in the ass when trying to load 3 aswell as if you use a seal saver in your forks....the bars hit the walls and you are limited on your tie down tension.

That said,if you are hauling 3+ bikes,remember that's 700?lbs plus gear,tools,gas etc aswell as weight of trailer

Personally I like the non-enclosed utility trailers with a ramp...makes loading easy and can then just throw all your gear,gas etc in and around bike.

I understand we want to keep our babys safe and warm and enclosed...but we are about to go plow thru streams,puddles,mud,rain etc...you know,the fun stuff!

I got a new Haulmark 6x10 w/finished interior,barn doors, rv-style man door, rv-type roof vent, 24" diamond plate(alum) stone guard, a complete set of locks(both doors, hitchpin, pin & coupler) $3703.00 out the door...I own it. It's a 2012 model. My POS '89 S10 228k+ pulled this trailer easily...sort of.

**even in the PNW...never, ever condensation**

Edited by bowhunter007

I understand we want to keep our babys safe and warm and enclosed...

LOl! last winter's racing would see us arriving early, to get a good pit, then bikes pitched out into rain, heater on, stereo on, and changing on rolled out carpet. It's the closest thing I've owned to dirtbike luxury. I still want to add a full length awning to the passenger side.

I have a 6x12 Cargomate, I absolutely love it. 6x10 is about the right size for just one guy. As you can see though, we pack a lot of stuff in it for going to the races. I can fit four bike and all the gear no problem. The below photo is a rarely light load compared to usual.

CC0C719F-300B-405C-854F-23AE6243D3B5-134

Got mine at the dealer off exit 88.  Traveler 6X10 Ramp door.  Made in Roseburg OR.  Rubbermade makes a track system made for garage tool storage with all kinds of hangers, baskets and stuff works great in the trailer.  Sold at home depot.

Edited by saddle_tramp

Got mine at the dealer off exit 88. Traveler 6X10 Ramp door. Made in Roseburg OR. Rubbermade makes a track system made for garage tool storage with all kinds of hangers, baskets and stuff works great in the trailer. Sold at home depot.

I have a similar system in my trailer, Gladiator system sold at Sears. It's great.

Was possibly looking into getting one of these guys for my bike hauling. Good /bad brand..better deals somewhere else?

http://www.trailersplus.com/cargo_trailers/?gclid=CNTV7v7KkboCFWZyQgodiw0AgA

Steve,  Jim has the 6x12 one from this company and I am impressed with the value. for the money, best new one out there. Pretty good quality.

Joe

boxvans are my choice. Trailers cost too much, they don't even have an engine...it's like a mult-thousand$ rolling trunk, that's easy to steal.  That said, I want one.

Handy little buggers. :)

Edited by Slackkinhard
  • Like 1

boxvans are my choice. Trailers cost too much, they don't even have an engine...it's like a mult-thousand$ rolling trunk, that's easy to steal.  That said, I want one.

Actually, when my brother was racing mx in the late 80's he bought a surplus ambulance with 30k miles on it for dirt cheap at a govt auction. It already has all the cabinets and attachments toslightly modify and fit two bikes comfortably. You just have to get past the smell of dead people or that funky smell they have. I have been looking for one ever since. All the used ambulances now are $$$$. I think he paid like some crazy price. Of like $1000 or along them lines.
  • Like 1

Steve,  Jim has the 6x12 one from this company and I am impressed with the value. for the money, best new one out there. Pretty good quality.

Joe

You tease me without posting a link to the trailer he got? :lol:

I agree, but licensing a trailer in WA is MUCH MUCH cheaper than a box van!

Actually, when my brother was racing mx in the late 80's he bought a surplus ambulance with 30k miles on it for dirt cheap at a govt auction. It already has all the cabinets and attachments toslightly modify and fit two bikes comfortably. You just have to get past the smell of dead people or that funky smell they have. I have been looking for one ever since. All the used ambulances now are $$$$. I think he paid like some crazy price. Of like $1000 or along them lines.

My 'Ambulance' for sale in Washington...Port/Vancouv Area~$5K

truck_zps128650f5.jpg

You tease me without posting a link to the trailer he got? :lol:

REALLY Steve??  lol......it is the 6x12 version of the one you posted in YOUR link. just click on it and then go to 6x12 models :p  :lol:  I think it was from a dealer in Marysville.

Joe