Sign in to follow this  

Engine Map Chips

My 2014 KX 450F came with 3 engine map chips. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they do specifically to the engine function. The manual only goes sofar as to say what color chip is used for normal, slippery, and hard track conditions. I searched around a little bit, but haven't found anything that gives specifics.

My 2014 KX 450F came with 3 engine map chips. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they do specifically to the engine function. The manual only goes sofar as to say what color chip is used for normal, slippery, and hard track conditions. I searched around a little bit, but haven't found anything that gives specifics.

Basically the chips help with EFI mapping.  I'm no expert but here is what I have been told and experienced.  White leans out bike for a little more wheel spin in deep stuff.  Black richens bike for a little less explosion to help with wheel spin on slick hard pack.  Green is in middle.

We ride on red clay MX tracks mostly.  I generally start with the White chip because its deep and loamy.  Once ruts start to form and corners start to pack in I sometimes switch to black to help with throttle control.  Especially if I feel my rear tire lose traction in slick spots.

Best thing to do is ride with all 3 chips in different conditions and pick one that helps you stay off the ground:)

Edited by hdcp0
  • Like 1

Yeah thats spot on mate I ride with the white plug so I have got full power at my disposal ...but boy does it shredd tyres for fun ;))

They're actually just a series of jumpers, no actual chips or microcontrollers on the modules.  The different maps are stored on the CDI.  As stated above, the white is full power, green is normal, black is mellowed out.

Edited by 4rest

Hate to bring this back from the dead but are the colors the same for all years? I have a '12 and i've heard black is full power and i've heard white is full power. I'd just like to know for reference.