Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400 buying help

Very long story short but I am in the market for a DRZ400.  I want to ride dirt and gravel roads with the ocational fire road.  I am on ole guy so it will be mostly adventure riding.  I have a bad back to kicking my XT350 is not a good idea anymore.

What can you tell me about the 400?  Any mods that have to be done or is it turn key and run.  I have a klr650 and had to make some mods that Needed to be done to insure there weren't problems down the road.  The KLR is a great bike and I love it but I need a lighter bike to carry on the back of my camper.  The KLR is just to heavy.

What are the differences in the different models like the S model and others? 

thanks guys

I also have a KLR650 and recently purchased a DRZ400S.  I purchased the DRZ for single track riding while I still use the KLR for forest roads.  You will be happy with how much lighter the DRZ is.  Picking up the DRZ is a piece of cake compared to the KLR.  Many states are starting to make it hard to license a bike that was not street legal when new so if you plan on riding on the street I would stick to an S.  My DRZ was used and had been highly modified before I got it but my two favorite mods are (aside from the 3x3) the larger tank and radiator guards, or maybe the suspension and weight loss plan...  Most of the mods mentioned in the FAQ section of this form had been preformed by an earlier owner of my bike.  I would recommend most of them but it really depends on your riding style.  I still don't have a bash plate and don't plan on adding one but I don't ride on really rocky trails.  My radiators are all bent up from crashing though.  Your results may vary.

You'll want an S model. The S is the street legal version with wheels and suspension for trail riding. The 400 in stock trim is pretty lame. But a few hundred bucks and some basic mechanical skills makes it whole different but manageable bike. Many have commented that the DRZ doesn't do any one thing well but does it all. I bought my S new in '06 and have enjoyed riding trails, hills, dirt, sand, rocks, and Tarmac.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  Yeah if I could carry the KLR I would but it's just to heavy.  Went to the dealer today and we couldn't get together, as of yet.  He gave the usual stuff but said he would call me when the owner came back from vacation.  He couldn't give me what I wanted for my K75s.  Anyway I hear ya about the weight.  I have an ole XT350 and the DRZ is the same weight with liquid cool and 50cc more.  Ya never know. 

Still interested in hearing about the 400 though.  It may work out in the future.

Thanks guys.  Yeah if I could carry the KLR I would but it's just to heavy.  Went to the dealer today and we couldn't get together, as of yet.  He gave the usual stuff but said he would call me when the owner came back from vacation.  He couldn't give me what I wanted for my K75s.  Anyway I hear ya about the weight.  I have an ole XT350 and the DRZ is the same weight with liquid cool and 50cc more.  Ya never know. 

Still interested in hearing about the 400 though.  It may work out in the future.

Well worth it bike, I have an S too and take it on every trail imaginable. It does well! Can't compare to a true dirt bike, but then again, that's not why they made it. Having a plate gives it a whole lot of diversity, so you could park the camper, take the bike in for some quick groceries, and then take it into the woods for whoopin it up. If I were you, I wouldn't do anything to it until you rode it a few times. If you thought after that you needed more, then check the FAQ here to see some simple mods that will increase your performance......but maybe you won't need them....who knows. I'd ride it first though  

Yeah I'm an ole guy.  Don't do much gully jumpin anymore.  Just dirt and gravel roads with a fire road in there and stream crossings if needed.  I did put crash bars front and rear on the KLR and a heavy skid plate.  If they make them for the 400 I may eventually go that route but for the most part it's probably fine the way it is.