Sign in to follow this  

Which KTM?

A little background, I've been out of riding for a few years now, my last bike was a 2004 RM 250. Loved the bikes instant power, however always felt like it was lacking in the low end. the previous bike was a Honda 230f, and while I loved the low end torque, the top end was lacking. I'm looking for a good compromise of the two. I'm leaning toward the 250/300xc. I won't be racing, and the bike will need to handle low speed riding well. Most of the riding will be slower technical riding. I will be riding with my stepson quite a bit, he's only 8 and we will be purchasing a dirt bike for him as well. I've read through several threads and have done quite a bit of research but I seem to be very 50/50 on which one would fit my riding style better. Trying not to beat a dead horse, but I dont have access to either to ride before I buy, so I'm looking for as much info as I can. P.s., I used to be a member here but can't remember my username.

The 300 has lots of power but and u can be in 3rd end and still have enough power to get out of a tight corner .. the 250xc be just like your rm 250 but more low end power and more top end

I agree, the 300 could be the best bet. I've ridden both a 250 and 300 in the same chassis and I do think they both feel the same. The 300 just has more torque, where the 250 is slightly more rev happy. I personally don't like either bike and if I were to do some trail riding for fun, I'd probably buy a 200. I think the 250/300 motor vibrates a lot and even though its luggable, I think the 200 is just as luggable without the added weight.

I say 200XC-W

http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/200-xc-w-usa/highlights.html#.Ulo5ZxZ5n0c

• Like 1

I agree with tye 1138, The 300 is great but the 200 has great low end way more than your rm250.  I just bought a 2007 200xc last week and will probably never go back to anything else for a trail bike(used to have a cr250 and the 200 has way more low end).  The 300 is good I think if you weigh a lot or what to go in more open stuff and still be able to chug through woods. Both are great but everyone seems to love the 200's.  

A little background, I've been out of riding for a few years now, my last bike was a 2004 RM 250. Loved the bikes instant power, however always felt like it was lacking in the low end. the previous bike was a Honda 230f, and while I loved the low end torque, the top end was lacking. I'm looking for a good compromise of the two. I'm leaning toward the 250/300xc. I won't be racing, and the bike will need to handle low speed riding well. Most of the riding will be slower technical riding. I will be riding with my stepson quite a bit, he's only 8 and we will be purchasing a dirt bike for him as well. I've read through several threads and have done quite a bit of research but I seem to be very 50/50 on which one would fit my riding style better. Trying not to beat a dead horse, but I dont have access to either to ride before I buy, so I'm looking for as much info as I can. P.s., I used to be a member here but can't remember my username.

I ride the KTM 300 and love the bike.  If you are just trail riding that's what I would buy.  I can torque that bike up hills and mountains that I could have only dreamed of climbing on a normal 125 or 250.  

The KTM and 250s are very easy to personalize as well.  The power valve springs, pipe/silencers, etc make excellent differences in performance to meet your needs.

I ride and race a 300 for enduro.  I run the red power valve spring, FMF Fatty pipe, FMF Powercore silencer.  When I replaced the piston this year I installed a thicker base basket to increase the top end and help mellow out the torquey rip off the bottom.  My bike sings now, but it's mellow enough to trek through rocky boulders and creep up twisty hillclimbs.  

Old 250s stand no chance compared to the newer KTM 250s and 300s in both power output and tractability.  Go with the 300 in this case.  If you are racing enduro, get the 250 because it's more aggressive and all the local pros I know prefer the 250.

How does the 200 compare to the 230f and rm250's low end torque? Does it like to ride a gear high? I haven't considered the 200 before, but if it fits the bill I will definitely consider it. I know my RM used to wear me out in the trails, but I imagine any of these bikes would be much more controllable power wise.

I had a YZ250 and a cr250 and the 200 has more low end than both of those! I know for a fact the YZ had more low end than your RM.  So based on that I would say the 200 compares better than your RM.  As for a 230f it's hard to compare because that's a whole different kind of bike altogether(less of a fast performance bike and more of a cruiser/heavy beginner bike). The 200 can ride a gear high in certain situations but is happy in the right gear for the speed your going. I only weigh 135lbs. so it has plenty of power for me.  Iv'e seen posts of guys who weigh 200lbs also and are still happy with it!  The 200 won't wear you out like your RM, and I've heard good things about the 300 but also they wear you out at the end of the day if your a little guy like me.

Edited by Ricky7

Do yourself a favor, and get a yz250 and put the 295 kit on it . I guarentee it has more low end than just about any bike, I know I have one. I have ridden a ktm 200 and 300, and it is by far a better bike handling, and a hell of a lot cheaper to buy,and maintain.

I own a 13 200.

At the end of the day I want the lightest bike I can climb with.

This depends on your riding area, skill, and bike setup.

If I were racing I would consider a 250 at my current skill and riding area.  That is due to the nasty slick hills in southern OH that get really tough in an enduro.  But, I have not tried a tubeless setup nor adjusted my powervalve.  I'm also improving each ride and the 200 is teaching me how to ride in the woods.

Additionally, the same hills I fail so do my buddies: 300 XC and CRF450X.

It's tough to beat in single track.

I would also consider a bigger bore if I rode mostly wide open areas.

The 200 is the most versatile bike I have ridden.  Good low end and gets moving now when you twist the gas.

Good luck.

Edited by Honda574

I'm 185 or so without gear, how will it do pulling me up hills, particularly ones with loose rock or sand?

Do yourself a favor, and get a yz250 and put the 295 kit on it . I guarentee it has more low end than just about any bike, I know I have one. I have ridden a ktm 200 and 300, and it is by far a better bike handling, and a hell of a lot cheaper to buy,and maintain.

The YZ250 is not a better handling bike...it may be suspended better (stock)...but it does not turn better. Ive owned both...yamahas are notorious bad turn initiation...and I've lived it. the new ktm frame slices and dices so much better, but is less stable in the fast straights

An mx250 is out of the question, that was my plan with my 250 and I never panned out. I want a new bike that way I can maintain it the way it's supposed to be and not worry about what the previous owner has done. I'm particularly looking at the ktms because they seem to be set up almost perfectly stock for the type if riding I do.

A friends has a 2012 300 xc and i have a 2012 250 xc. The 300 lugs better and has more bottom end grunt. But when u get on the pipe they are litterly the same. You can always get a 250 and if u decide it isnt enough ktm makes a 300 kit for it.

Edited by SmokerRider99

There isn't much of a weight difference between the 250 and the 200, but is nice to have the extra power.

The more I think about the rm250, the more I realize it was way more bike than I needed. The 04 was known for its abrupt power delivery, and even with the flywheel weight it wore me out. However in the open and on faster trails it was a great bike. I imagine the 250xc having a much more controllable power delivery with a lot more low end grunt than my RM had? I liked to ride a gear high and really lug the bike through tight single track. That makes me lean toward the 250, but I don't want to feel like I'm having to fight that bike to keep it under control like I did my rm either. I wish I could ride both to see first!

There isn't much of a weight difference between the 250 and the 200, but is nice to have the extra power.

I've ridden both.  I would say big difference in weight and feel.

The only time I wish I had a 250 is for an extreme technical slimy hill.

The 250 can be a lot more tiring and get into trouble w/ some whiskey throttle.

Edited by Honda574

A 2-st MX bike is no comparison to a woods purpose built KTM 2-st.

KTM powerband is much more linear and tuneable.

The chassis is built for the woods in every way.  No compromise.

I owned 3 YZ250s (89, 98, 01) and 2 CR250s (94, 03).

I would choose my 200 over these bikes during any woods situation.

I've ridden both.  I would say big difference in weight and feel.

The only time I wish I had a 250 is for an extreme technical slimy hill.

The 250 can be a lot more tiring and get into trouble w/ some whiskey throttle.

They are the same weight give or take five pounds.

A 2-st MX bike is no comparison to a woods purpose built KTM 2-st.

KTM powerband is much more linear and tuneable.

The chassis is built for the woods in every way.  No compromise.

I owned 3 YZ250s (89, 98, 01) and 2 CR250s (94, 03).

I would choose my 200 over these bikes during any woods situation.

Dont tell Randy hawkins that, he might throw away his championship trophies