Sign in to follow this  

It's been beaten to death, but what helmet?

I realize there's LOTS of other threads on helmets but I want a good, comfortable, sturdy helmet. I own a 6d but honestly I'd say it's the least comfortable helmet I've worn(most people love them , I do not) I owned a cheap avg(??) helmet and it was insanely comfortable but I didn't like to wear it cuz it was a terrible design, and wouldn't protect like the 6D. I'm thinking a fox but what. Helmet? I want a comfortable, lightweight, strong, and breathable helmet. The 6D looks awesome, Is light as hell, and breaths wonderfull, and even protects great as I've read. But it's not comfortable on me! What helmet would you guys suggest?

ONE IND is now selling a helmet with MIPS, nice helmet about $300 on-line. You can check them out at RMATV.com, it's the 2014 Gamma Helmet, made out of Fiberglass so it should be light enough (just looked, they are selling for $275) but ONLY the 2014 is the MIPS helmet. I have an older model EVS TAKT helmet, I love the thing, most comfortable helmet I have ever owned. Only place I can find them is BikeBandit.com and they are about $300 also. I also really like Bell Moto 9's, they also fit [me] very nice. When buying my street helmet, I tried on everything that I could find at the local dealers, the helmet that I bought was a Seven Zero Seven (Cycle Gear brand) which is the same helmet as the Bell Star, only the trim and graphics are a lesser quality. I bought it right when I tried it on, it was so damn comfortable and MUCH less $ than the actual Bell Star ($550 helmet). Anyways, head shape is a big factor in comfort and therefore before spending money on a helmet, you should try them on. There should be no "pressure points", the helmet should be snug and have no irritations to you. Helmets shouldn't need to be "broken in" they should fit right, right away. There will be some loosening of the cheek pads, but that is it. If any other part of the helmet doesn't feel right, it doesn't fit.

I realize there's LOTS of other threads on helmets but I want a good, comfortable, sturdy helmet. I own a 6d but honestly I'd say it's the least comfortable helmet I've worn(most people love them , I do not) I owned a cheap avg(??) helmet and it was insanely comfortable but I didn't like to wear it cuz it was a terrible design, and wouldn't protect like the 6D. I'm thinking a fox but what. Helmet? I want a comfortable, lightweight, strong, and breathable helmet. The 6D looks awesome, Is light as hell, and breaths wonderfull, and even protects great as I've read. But it's not comfortable on me! What helmet would you guys suggest?

I would get on the horn with 6D with a description of why you feel it's uncomfortable.  Maybe they can help.  Fivepointnine says the Kali Prana is very comfortable.  Lots of folks like the Shoei VFX-W, which would be easiest to try on, probably.  Arai VX-Pro3 got a nice plug from MXA in the November issue.  "The interior is more Bentley then Buick and is the plushest, snuggest and cushiest liner made".  From $550-$680, that might be worth looking at, especially with its variable triple density EPS.  Let us know what you find!  

Sounds like you should go try some on and see which one is most comfortable if that is the feature you are placing high on your priority list. Everyones head is different. If that high $$ 6D isn't making you happy I wouldn't just buy another one off of someones suggestive post without trying it on.

In all reality comfort isn't too of my priority list. If it was I'd be earring the junk avg helmet I have. However I wear the uncomfortable but safe 6D. I'd like a comfortable and safe helmet tho, I've heard great things about shoei. And dragon thank you for the tips on the helmets. I'm gonna call 6D and see what they say!

I know the feeling I am starting to look as well. Nothing is worse than something not being comfortable and your attention focused on it and not your riding.

• Like 1

i JUST picked up a shoei vfx-w for $325 on ebay brand new. there are some good deals on shoei helmets on ebay. just a heads up.

also, the most comfortable helmet ive ever had was a $50 AFX helmet. ive had One IND, fox, bell, and a few others. i did try on a shoei and was in love. hard to tell without riding with one on though

i JUST picked up a shoei vfx-w for $325 on ebay brand new. there are some good deals on shoei helmets on ebay. just a heads up.

also, the most comfortable helmet ive ever had was a $50 AFX helmet. ive had One IND, fox, bell, and a few others. i did try on a shoei and was in love. hard to tell without riding with one on though

I'm going to look now! And YES it was AFX is the cheap helmet I have .

Anyways, head shape is a big factor in comfort and therefore before spending money on a helmet, you should try them on. There should be no "pressure points", the helmet should be snug and have no irritations to you. Helmets shouldn't need to be "broken in" they should fit right, right away. There will be some loosening of the cheek pads, but that is it. If any other part of the helmet doesn't feel right, it doesn't fit.

Good points. I have a long-narrow skull. Because it's important to me that helmets fit properly I've spent a lot more $$ on helmets than if I had a more popular head shape. I keep looking for helmets at reasonable prices that are comfy and snug but, so far, only Arai makes street full-face and dual-sport style helmets that fit me like a glove. I end up averaging around $550/helmet which is hard to take but, for me, it's better than making do with a string of less expensive helmets that I'm never going to be happy with.

I got one of these ls2 helmets for my daughter a few weeks ago because she wanted a pink helmet and it was one of only 2 pink youth helmets in the store. What I really like though, is the pump feature in the helmet. It has small air bladders with a manual pump built in and conformed to my daughters head the best. It's fairly light, was reasonably priced, well vented and my daughter liked it. Almost tempted to buy one in an adult size and neutral color scheme just as a spare.

1435538599331.jpg