Sign in to follow this  

09 kx450 stripped gears? ? please help

Today while riding at redbud my bike was running absolutely flawless, then while coming 8ut of a corner, I lost all power, I still had great compression, but when I gave it gas, it barely had enough power to make it back to the camper, could my gears be stripped?

IMPORTANT: earlier in the day I noticed that oil was coming from my overflow tube after just a few minutes of riding, even though I know I hadnt overfilled it. So im thinking it leaked during the moto, and got pretty hot..

Today while riding at redbud my bike was running absolutely flawless, then while coming 8ut of a corner, I lost all power, I still had great compression, but when I gave it gas, it barely had enough power to make it back to the camper, could my gears be stripped?

IMPORTANT: earlier in the day I noticed that oil was coming from my overflow tube after just a few minutes of riding, even though I know I hadnt overfilled it. So im thinking it leaked during the moto, and got pretty hot..

I just drained all the oil, and when I took the big drain plug out, this came with it..

20131012_193458.jpg

I just drained all the oil, and when I took the big drain plug out, this came with it..

thats a lot of metal flakes.. ive had some but not near that many.

id pull that sucker apart and take a look at your gears bro. i havent had the issue on my 2011 kx450f, but i have an ole 1991 KX250 that i bought and am working to restore, it had the same issue at one point and who ever had it before me stripped the hell outta the gears. and i finally got it running, and sure enough it would act like you described, id shift, but get no pull and just alot of noise.

luckily gears arent horribly expensive. pull it all apart and take a look. put up some pictures too, im curious to see the extent, ill try to find the old gears out the KX250 and post some of it. not sure what i did with them but ill look around.

• Like 1

thats a lot of metal flakes.. ive had some but not near that many.

id pull that sucker apart and take a look at your gears bro. i havent had the issue on my 2011 kx450f, but i have an ole 1991 KX250 that i bought and am working to restore, it had the same issue at one point and who ever had it before me stripped the hell outta the gears. and i finally got it running, and sure enough it would act like you described, id shift, but get no pull and just alot of noise.

luckily gears arent horribly expensive. pull it all apart and take a look. put up some pictures too, im curious to see the extent, ill try to find the old gears out the KX250 and post some of it. not sure what i did with them but ill look around.

Alright, will do. Thanks for the imput!

That seriously gave me a rock in my stomach :jawdrop:  Definitely nothing you can do but tear it down and see what the damage is. Keep us updated!

• Like 1

Check your clutch before you go splitting cases.

Giving the bike throttle and it doesn't go anywhere indicates a clutch problem, not gears.

Giving the bike throttle and it makes nasty noises/lurches would indicate gears. Stripped gears wouldn't be pulverized into a fine powder as you show in your picture.  What you show in your picture is clutch material.

The only curious aspect is that it happened suddenly.  Clutches normally slowly start slipping.

• Like 2

Giving the bike throttle and it doesn't go anywhere indicates a clutch problem, not gears.

Giving the bike throttle and it makes nasty noises/lurches would indicate gears. Stripped gears the uldn't be pulverized into a fine powder as you show in your picture.  What you show in your picture is clutch material.

The only curious aspect is that it happened suddenly.  Clutches normally slowly start slipping.

So you really think it could be my clutch? Ill give my best explanation of what happend so you can give your best opinion: as soon as I got the bike I noticed that it was leaking a bit of oil out of the oil overflow, but I thought that it was just becuase I overfilled it, after riding early in the day, the bike was running perfect, no clutch slip or anything, then suddenly I went to give it power, thought I must have neutraled, shifted up, and when I gave it gas it barely had enough power to make it off the track, and when I got back to my truck, I couldnt see any oil in the glass, and when I took the oil cap off smoke came out.

So you really think it could be my clutch? Ill give my best explanation of what happend so you can give your best opinion: as soon as I got the bike I noticed that it was leaking a bit of oil out of the oil overflow, but I thought that it was just becuase I overfilled it, after riding early in the day, the bike was running perfect, no clutch slip or anything, then suddenly I went to give it power, thought I must have neutraled, shifted up, and when I gave it gas it barely had enough power to make it off the track, and when I got back to my truck, I couldnt see any oil in the glass, and when I took the oil cap off smoke came out.

When you say "it barely had enough power", was the bike revving and not going anywhere.  Or was it not revving out?

If it was revving and not going anywhere, that's your clutch.  If it's not revving out, it has to do with combustion, not a clutch or transmission issue.

First thing I would do is get it up on a stand and start spinning the rear wheel.  Shift through the gears and listen/feel for any issues in each gear.  Also if the shifting is notchy.

When I've had clutches on the way out, the extra slipping causes a lot of heat in the crankcase, which could cause the overflowing of oil you experienced.

If the shifting feels and sounds fine, ride the bike and give it short bursts in 1st gear.  If it's slipping, you'll know.  Check your clutch cable free play.  A clutch getting ready to go may expand and take your free play, you need to always keep an eye on your free play at the lever.

Any more details on what you've done and what you experienced when it happened?

When you say "it barely had enough power", was the bike revving and not going anywhere.  Or was it not revving out?

If it was revving and not going anywhere, that's your clutch.  If it's not revving out, it has to do with combustion, not a clutch or transmission

Any more details on what you've done and what you experienced when it happened?

sorry I will try and make it more clear, when I noticed somthing was wrong, I immediately pulled off the track, killed the bike, and just took a quick look at my sprockets, they were fine, so I restarted the bike, it started first kick, and I shifted into first, and it had enough power to get going, but as I gave it more power, it just stayed at the same speed, and as soon as I noticed that it was doing that, I tried shifting into second, and it did the same thing, so I stopped trying to rev it and just killed it..so to sum it up, no matter the throttle I gave it, it kept the same HP

Alright, so I tore into the clutch and this is what I found, I will do my best to explain, ask me specific questions if it would help identify anything....: the top and middle plates, or discs or whatever they are called seemed to be in good condition, with not much discoloration or wear. But the very bottom disc has a line around the edge that was consistent with wear, and there was a matching ring around the bottom of the clutch basket, my thoughts are that this ring of wear could be the culprit of the metal shavings...but would this cause my bike to not run? Please ask me anything that will help identify a problem, thanks

20131014_181921.jpg

20131014_181825.jpg

20131014_181758.jpg

20131014_181820.jpg

Giving the bike throttle and it makes nasty noises/lurches would indicate gears. Stripped gears wouldn't be pulverized into a fine powder as you show in your picture.  What you show in your picture is clutch material.

We lifted the tiremoffmthe ground, put it in gear, and spun the clutch basket, and the tire spun with it, without any slipping, clunking or any thing that would note a screwed up gear, so im reallymstarting to bank on the clutch being the problem

i didnt even think about the clutch.. mainly because when i had similary symptoms my gears infact were messed up.

but as i read and think about it it, you may just have the issue figured out. maybe it is the clutch.. but if your plates are fine.. is the basket fine? bearings? is there anything out of the ordinary with it?

Judging the pictures of the clutch pack, it's toast.  They appear to have bad discoloration which indicates they were hot and burnt from the slipping.  A new clutch pack, metal plates and fibers, should have you back in action.

Also, the center hub appears to have a weird wear pattern, as you indicated earlier.  Pull it out, and see what caused it.

I've had good success with OEM clutch packs, but don't have any experience with Kawi (I'm new to green).  If you're worried about it happening again, buy stiffer clutch springs.  You can use them all or use 3 stiff and 3 standard.

• Like 1

Judging the pictures of the clutch pack, it's toast. They appear to have bad discoloration which indicates they were hot and burnt from the slipping. A new clutch pack, metal plates and fibers, should have you back in action.

Also, the center hub appears to have a weird wear pattern, as you indicated earlier. Pull it out, and see what caused it.

I've had good success with OEM clutch packs, but don't have any experience with Kawi (I'm new to green). If you're worried about it happening again, buy stiffer clutch springs. You can use them all or use 3 stiff and 3 standard.

I totally agree

I think you should go check your pressure plate and basket, then go on eBay and look up a clutch pack on there for your bike, you can find some decent quality ones for only $50, so order that, put it in, and see if that fixes your problem. That way if it isn't your clutch, your only in for $50, not $200

• Like 2

or just a thought, but since you already have it taken apart.

depending on how much you have to play with, its probably the perfect opportunity to convert to an aftermarket clutch kit if you wish such as a Hinson clutch. i personally havent used one, but a friend has one on his CRF450 and it makes the clutch almost like a hot knife in butter.

but let us know what you end up doing, and if that fixes the issue. i hope thats all thats wrong with your bike man.

Hope your back out riding soon.

or just a thought, but since you already have it taken apart.

depending on how much you have to play with, its probably the perfect opportunity to convert to an aftermarket clutch kit if you wish such as a Hinson clutch. i personally havent used one, but a friend has one on his CRF450 and it makes the clutch almost like a hot knife in butter.

but let us know what you end up doing, and if that fixes the issue. i hope thats all thats wrong with your bike man.

Hope your back out riding soon.

What are the benefits of a aftermarket clutch such as a hinson? Smoother? Not burn up as easy? Ive always went with stock, but if a aftermarket will cut down on maintenance im game

well one thing i have definitely noticed on my friends bike was the clutch was much much smoother, it didnt make shifting per say easier, but it definitely made the clutch much easier to pull. i have to 2 finger mine just because of the amount of pressure it takes, his felt similar to the KTM hydrolic clutch it was so smooth.. and he has had the same springs and plates for about 2.5 years or so and he has had no issues.

If you read reviews, there are many great ones on hinson.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

Alright guys, im about to throw in the towel and pay money I dont have to get this thing running.

I just got done cleaning, smoothing, and all that jazz(the clutch). The discs were in decent condition from what I could tell, but there was definitely some wear.anywho, when I slapped it all back together here is what happened: I started it and shifted into gear, all is good so far. I then proceeded to accelerate, and it all seemed good, and I was able to cycle through all the gears with no trouble.BUT, heres the catch. When I tried to give it a good amount of throttle(an amount that I know should make me wheelie on pavement), it did the same thing, it would make the noise that was appropriate for the amount of throttle, But leave the power at a slow, painfull acceleration.

CONCLUSION OF MY DAY: the bike is doing 'better', it will now at least go over 5mph, but that is only with a slow acceleration, as soon as I punch it, it does what it did before(no power). Im at a loss.. OH! And when I was putting the oil plug in, I put it in half way, forgot the washer so I took it back out and noticed this piecefof metal on the plug,(see picture) and I know this is going to sound stupid, but I have no ideo if it came from in the bike, or my table (I wasnt paying close attention when putting it in). Im really hopping its not a chunk of somthing important

1381967006422.jpg

1381967052652.jpg