Sign in to follow this  

Help identifying rear spring

I have a 2001 DRZ400S with only a little known about its history.  I know that I am owner #3, and I know that owner #1 put Race Tech springs in the front supposedly 2 ranges higher rate than stock for his weight.  I weigh 240 lbs, so that's good. 

Now I am replacing the rebound adjustment-less 2001 rear shock with a 2003 Green DRZ (KLX400) rear shock.  I would like to keep whatever spring is the stronger one.  The KLX spring is yellow in the photo, and has 7 windings.  The 2001 DRZ shock's spring is red and has 8 windings, and kinda looks a bit smaller in diameter.

I have a suspicion the original owner may have put a Race Tech spring on the back, and if he did it would definitely be stronger than stock.  But how can I tell other than mounting and bouncing?  Is there a mark somewhere?  Can someone with a Race Tech rear spring confirm the # of windings it has, and someone with a stock spring confirm the # of winding it has?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0mtjDI3RvJbTHVDVTNKR0pyWFk/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for the help,

-Chris, the guy who is adjusting from the mellow/short/small KLR250 to the tall and taut DRZ400S.

you cant ID spring rates from their colour or windings...

You need to send them to a spring builder and get them to test their rating....

I realize they may be tricky to say definitively what the rating is, but if someone can tell me the red spring looks like a Race Tech, then I can deduce that it also was rated for the original 200 lb+ rider who originally bought Race Tech front springs.  I know this because I was given the Race Tech front springs box with the old Suzuki front springs (and other parts) in it.  

How about this - do other stock DRZ400S springs have 7 windings or 8?

-The dumbass double-threader who can't figure out how to delete a thread I started...

OEM rear springs are red, yellow,  white .,blue.....the same model sent to a different country can have a different colour rear spring with the same rating...

It is confusing but that's the way suzuki did it...

Someone with an S model may be able to confirm the windings...

Race tech springs usually have the spring rate stamped on them .

The last two digits tell you the spring rate in kilograms. e.g. if the last two numbers of the multi-number string of digits is 57, the the spring is rated at 5.7 Kg

Oh that probably just applies in the rest of the world. USA still uses imperial /non metric measure and weights. Time to catch up Yanks! ( tongue in cheek/ no offence meant)

A simple technique I often use is to put a length of pipe in my vice put the sping over the pipe than I take some of my excercise weights and put them over the pipe as well to compress the spring by at least an inch. Use the same amount of weight with the other spring and measure compression again.

The spring with the most compression would be the softer spring.

Usually

The less windings the stiffer.

The thicker the dia the stiffer.

The greater the weight the stiffer.

Tony