Sign in to follow this  

Alu frame or steel?

Aluminum used to be sooo ridged that the '97 Hondas were nearly unrideable. They've come a long way with aluminum, I really think for moto they are more competitive, but offroad it makes little difference bc the offroad terrain can benefit from frame flexibility.

Wise choice IMO since I bought an '05 YZ125 new (first aluminum frame) and it handled horribly.  In fact, I bought first year aluminum framed bikes from each of the Japanese manufacturers and only one didn't have handling issues because of the frame rigidity. That one handled crappy because of the geometry.  But that was then and this is now and they have them sorted out pretty good now.

How much of a difference can one feel, say, in a well sorted steel frame Honda, to a well sorted ally frame Honda.

IE: a 97 CR125 versus a 2007.

With equally well set up suspension, for the bike and for the rider how much of a difference does an ally frame make?

I have an 02 yz250 steelie and can live without having the AL frame. Plus, when powdered or painted, I think the steel frames look cooler than the AL anyways. I'm nowhere near the level it would take to notice the <5lb difference and handling characteristic difference :ride:

I had an 04 yz125 and a 2007 yz250. No way to distinguish between the two since they are totally different. That said, I think the 125 was a little softer. But that was probably from the suspension.

Ya know I noticed more of a difference when switching from steel frame to aluminum frame on a mountain bike. Didn't really give a thought when I switched on my dirt bikes.

My friend has an 04 cr125 and Id rather ride my yz any day...it's like the cr likes to bounce a lot or something lol

I prefer the aluminum, with the exception of KTM (which I can't afford at this time) the steel frames are outdated technology/geometry. For most of us, we'll never really tell the difference in handling between an aluminum and steel frame anyways.....

Ya know I noticed more of a difference when switching from steel frame to aluminum frame on a mountain bike. Didn't really give a thought when I switched on my dirt bikes.

The steel frames ride so smooth on mountain bikes, but dirtbikes.......ehhh....

My friend has an 04 cr125 and Id rather ride my yz any day...it's like the cr likes to bounce a lot or something lol

Those are two completely different bikes, just a different tire can make a bike feel bad.....

Truth be told I doubt you would notice and difference....between your steel framed YZ vs a aluminum framed YZ if both are setup similar to each other.....

They both can be made into great bikes either steel frames or aluminum. Maintenance and condition are very important when looking at bikes I've had steel and aluminum you don't have to pick a side

• Like 1

From what I know alu doesnt flex, so its good for mx. Steel does flex, making it better for offroad. I very highly doubt that an amateur (me included) would feel a difference. I also have heard that there is a negligible weight difference. Look at the size of steel frames, then look at alu frames. Alu frames are HUGE