Inner clutch cover cracked

Had a good day on the bike today and when I was loading it up, I noticed oil leaking.  After washing it I found a small .5" crack in the inner clutch cover where one of the bolts go.  I can't find an impact or dent in that area so I don't think it was a rock.  I thought maybe I tightened the bolt too much, put it wasn't over tightened.  8-10 ft pounds maybe.  

Should I JB weld this and use loctite when I put that bolt in to just snug it down a little bit?  Or does the whole inner clutch cover need to be replaced?

IMAG0699.jpg

Brotha, I would clean it with carb cleaner, spray it down well with air to dry completely, then wait a few minutes.  Add JB weld and do the Lock-Tite as you said.  Smooth it down after putting down JB weld of course, you should be good to go.

In 2004 I punctured a clutch cover dropping my bike, the hole was the size of a marble at the top of the clutch cover.  I limped it back to the truck, but man we were camping for the weekend and this was only Friday afternoon!!  No way!!  I removed the clutch cover, cleaned it thoroughly with brake cleaner, hammered the piece of magnesium (that was punctured in) back into place, JB Welded that b!tch and let it dry overnight.  Put back together Sat morning, that clutch cover never leaked even to the day I sold the bike in 2007.

Had a good day on the bike today and when I was loading it up, I noticed oil leaking.  After washing it I found a small .5" crack in the inner clutch cover where one of the bolts go.  I can't find an impact or dent in that area so I don't think it was a rock.  I thought maybe I tightened the bolt too much, put it wasn't over tightened.  8-10 ft pounds maybe.  

Should I JB weld this and use loctite when I put that bolt in to just snug it down a little bit?  Or does the whole inner clutch cover need to be replaced?

IMAG0699.jpg

The biggest concern I would have with this operation is that two bolts, both of which have torque specs, are very close to the crack.  At some point the JB may crack because of the torquing effect of tightening these bolts.  Check out the price of replacing the inner clutch cover, but I would first try the JB Weld.

On 10/12/2013 at 5:10 PM, maxamillion125 said:

IMAG0699.jpg

if oil was leaking it's cracked clear through needs to be welded or replaced,  8-10 lbs is way too much.  

So I should just leave it becouse last night I could stick a little bit of my fingure nail in it but not all the way but then I wiped it with my fingure and it was not even wet before and after I stuck my fingure nail part way thru I do have this red silicone gasket seal that I used for the drain bolt becouse it was stripped and it stoped the oil from the drain bolt so should I put a little gasket seal on the crack just in case it cracks or should I just leave it as is and just ride it in the spring 

48 minutes ago, As1233 said:

So I should just leave it becouse last night I could stick a little bit of my fingure nail in it but not all the way but then I wiped it with my fingure and it was not even wet before and after I stuck my fingure nail part way thru I do have this red silicone gasket seal that I used for the drain bolt becouse it was stripped and it stoped the oil from the drain bolt so should I put a little gasket seal on the crack just in case it cracks or should I just leave it as is and just ride it in the spring 

Don't leave it.  Step 1 to owning a clapped out bike, not replacing broken parts.  Don't be that guy.

I have a clean used one I'd sell.  PM me if interested.

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 3

Thx highmarker for your info thx for the help ya I think I'll just leave it becouse it's not leaching oil like u said and polders lol it's not clapped it's perfect lol it's the bike I've always wanted so I'll pass on ur offer but thx anyways

Presume from the photo that it is a 125/150/200. KTM has used the same clutch cover from the 90s (only difference on real early ones is the pv breather is above water pump, but easily blanked off). Why not try and get a good used one - it is really easy to fit/change over pv parts with very basic tools, ie a socket set, torque wrench and a pair of pliers. You don't even need any diy skills other than removing and replacing bolts.

Guys it's not leaking and it's ab125 ktm sx 2 stroke race bike and if it douse start to leak I'll jb weld or use some silicone sealent but Since it's not leaching why change it if it start to leak I'll prabably jb weld it but it's not so it's not a problem lol but Im going to put a protector under the crank case so if I do hit something the crank case won't crack but for no it's not leaking anything which is weird becouse if the crack do go through it would leak becouse where I live it's winter and menace 7 and the metal would shrink becouse it's cold and for that it would leak so if it's not leaking in cold weather then it's basically not even a problem so it's ready for the spring 

Plus jb weld works good so I won't want to weld it becouse if it decides to leak it will be in the spring and the jb weld will be able to cure but for now it's ready to go in the spring becouse there's no leaks 

Good luck with it. I wouldn't run with a cracked cover, but wouldn't be much of a world if we were all the same. 

Edited by 7Tktm
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, thebob_za said:

Why not get it to an engineering shop and get them to weld it up?

That is what I'd try, but be warned, aluminum that isn't clean is a bitch to weld. They may tell you that there is too much oil bubbling into the grain of the metal and it won't work. But worth a shot.

Be prepared to hit up Ebay for a second hand one if the welding fails

• Like 1

5 hours ago, As1233 said:

Guys it's not leaking and it's ab125 ktm sx 2 stroke race bike and if it douse start to leak I'll jb weld or use some silicone sealent but Since it's not leaching why change it if it start to leak I'll prabably jb weld it but it's not so it's not a problem lol but Im going to put a protector under the crank case so if I do hit something the crank case won't crack but for no it's not leaking anything which is weird becouse if the crack do go through it would leak becouse where I live it's winter and menace 7 and the metal would shrink becouse it's cold and for that it would leak so if it's not leaking in cold weather then it's basically not even a problem so it's ready for the spring 

Lol that's the longest sentence that I've ever read, and not understood. 

Btw I can't believe the op is passing on poldies' offer. Even though it's not leaking now, it will be sooner or later. I'd jump on it just to have the back up for when it finally does let loose. There's probably nice shiny plastics on his bike, though. 

Edit: just realized I was mixing up two situations. I'd still take him up on the used cover in either situation. 

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur
  • Like 1