Help identifying rear spring

I have a 2001 DRZ400S with only a little known about its history.  I know that I am owner #3, and I know that owner #1 put Race Tech springs in the front supposedly 2 ranges higher rate than stock for his weight.  I weigh 240 lbs, so that's good. 

Now I am replacing the rebound adjustment-less 2001 rear shock with a 2003 Green DRZ (KLX400) rear shock.  I would like to keep whatever spring is the stronger one.  The KLX spring is yellow in the photo, and has 7 windings.  The 2001 DRZ shock's spring is red and has 8 windings, and kinda looks a bit smaller in diameter.

I have a suspicion the original owner may have put a Race Tech spring on the back, and if he did it would definitely be stronger than stock.  But how can I tell other than mounting and bouncing?  Is there a mark somewhere?  Can someone with a Race Tech rear spring confirm the # of windings it has, and someone with a stock spring confirm the # of winding it has?

springs (1).jpg

Thanks for the help,

-Chris, the guy who is adjusting from the mellow/short/small KLR250 to the tall and taut DRZ400S.

springs.jpg

Edited by seekerhiker

Colour doesn't mean anything on stock springs. The S spring is heavier than an E.

When I changed my rear I used the E shock and S spring.

DUDE......Why have you got 2 threads going for the same subject,,,,,,  :bonk:

DUDE......Why have you got 2 threads going for the same subject,,,,,,  :bonk:

Ummm, I think I screwed up between not finishing a posting and trying to add my photo - 1st time poster here, sorry!

Ummm, I think I screwed up between not finishing a posting and trying to add my photo - 1st time poster here, sorry!

Your Good , I guess we have all been there before....A moderator will probably delete on of them....