HELP- which bike to get?!

Hello I am a 16 year old girl been riding bikes for 3 years have a Yamaha 125 great bike but have grown out of it I am 130 pounds and 5.9 ft thinking of a honda 150r heard they go threw valves like crazy, or a 150 or 200 ktm for race just a trail bike? Any ideas or suggestions would be great thanks

is your yami 125. A ttr125 or a yz125? I'm guessing Ttr. I'd get a 125 or a Ktm or kdx200

Welcome! Always awesome to see a girl riding! 

I'm a little confused though, do you want this for racing or trail riding?

If you think you can handle a bigger bike, I'd go with the KDX200. Great trail bike, good power, fairly fast, a bit taller.

If you want something easier going, I'd get a Honda XR200. Easy going, extremely dependable, hardly any maintenance. Great trail bike.

If you want something you'll probably never outgrow on the trails, get something like a KTM 300. 2 stroke that you can lug down like a 4 stroke on the trails. One of the best all around trail bikes there is. Very fast and powerful. 

A price range would help us out too.

If you said you were looking at a 150r, then you should consider a KTM 105 or a kx100 if you want something of similar size to the 150r. If you're in the market for a full size bike, I'd look for either a kdx200 or KTM 200 for trail riding, but a yz125 is also a cheaper option.

umm.. We want our girls to be alive and healthy so maybe no ktm 300 for now?  ?

Hey I did say only if she were REALLY confident!

err... I think I did. Maybe not. But I was thinking it anyway...

Although, to be honest the 300 can be lugged around and tried to ride like a granny for a while until she grows into it... but it still scares the crap outta me!

By the way, is she really your daughter or you speaking in general?

Hey I did say only if she were REALLY confident!

err... I think I did. Maybe not. But I was thinking it anyway...

Although, to be honest the 300 can be lugged around and tried to ride like a granny for a while until she grows into it... but it still scares the crap outta me!

By the way, is she really your daughter or you speaking in general?

In general. I'm sure more girls will read this thread eventually  :D

4 grand lets you buy just about any used bike except the newest and hottest.

If you want light and fast and focusing on the trails, you're looking at a 2 stroke.

What's your skill level and confidence level? Do you need to be able to flat foot a bike?

If you're confident enough with your skills, don't need to be able to touch on both sides of the bike. and won't push yourself beyond what you're able to do, buy the nicest KTM 300 you can find over the winter when they're selling the cheapest.

The KTM 300 will be able to keep up with anything out there, climb the nastiest of hills, and have more power than you'll be able to comfortably use if you push it. BUT, with a bit of restraint and confidence you can just shift it up a gear, lug it and ride it slower until you're comfortable with it. You can also play with the powervalve springs to make it more of a low down torquey bike and easier to ride. BUT (again) the power will be there when you grow into it and want to teach the boys what dirt tastes like.

Realize you're going to scare yourself a bit, but exercise restraint until you're confident with the bike. If there's even a chance you're going to freak out and seize up on the throttle wide open, get something smaller.

There really is no better trail/woods bike that I know of than the KTM 300 unless it's a new Husky or Beta.

You could also just go with a KTM200 for now. 

Have a look on youtube for videos of the KTM300 and see how they're ridden, hill climbing etc. Last I read they make around 50HP. that's around 5 times as much as a TTR125 type 4 stroke. Just keep it under control until you're comfortable with the power.

Edited by ripsnorter

Thanks everyone for all the help some more details I don't want it for racing just something's that fast so I can keep up with the boys and something that I will be able to comfortably ride up steap hill, also not to heavy, price range would be 4 grand at the most

Here's a couple examples:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/mcy/4132097840.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/mcy/4071491355.html

You should be able to knock them down $500 in price if you tried.

• Like 1

I think a 300 would be way too big personally like my skill level is defiantly improving since I am riding with more experienced riders so something that I can kinda touch to feet on would be great because with my luck I'll be going up a steep hill and stall or something and tip over or go backwards Because I can't stop the bike!

I think a KDX200 is about an inch shorter than a KTM200. if not you can always do something like shave the seat down, or even lower it a bit if needed.

The one advantage a KDX is going to have over the KTM is that it probably won't depreciate at all. So you could probably sell it for exactly what you paid for it, or even more if you buy it in the winter and sell it in the summer. Then you can trade up to a 300 once you've outgrown the KDX. The KDX will also be probably $1,000 or more cheaper than a KTM200.

So get a KDX and trade up later, or get a KTM200 and keep it longer.