Best all around adult guest trail bike?

Yeah I know, not another "what bike should I buy" thread. Sorry.

Looking for options here, not just one specific bike. Something in the $1000 range I'm thinking, although I'm looking at up to $2,000 if I have to.

I ride a 2001 KTM 300 2 stroke.

I have some friends I'm trying to get into trail riding with me, plus some family that comes in from out of town from time to time.

Will almost certainly be adults only. Smallest would be about 5 foot tall 120lb woman rider that's never ridden before, up to about a 6'4" 225lb friend who hasn't ridden in years. A huge difference in size I know.

I had an XR100 which is great for a smaller beginner rider, very good for confidence building since they can easily flat foot it. It's uncomfortable for a 6'4" guy though.

So far I'm thinking TW200, KDX200 or XR200, but the KDX and XR200 could be a bit tall for a smaller woman rider. An electric start would be good for ease of use too though. TW200 is really at the top of my list, but they're more like the $2,500 mark than the $1,000 mark around here. I'm in SW WA by the way.

What about something like a TTR 125? Too small? Remember this is trail riding only, so no hardcore motocross bikes.

Down by the Chehalis/Castle Rock area.

I'm wondering about a TTR230 or CRF230 yeah, just can't get one down around the $1,000 mark.

I don't know if there's a really good way to bridge the gap from 5' to 6'4". Anything comfortable for the tall guys is going to be too tall for a 5' beginner. An experienced shorter rider could of course handle a taller bike, but it doesn't inspire confidence for a newbie. I'm hoping I'm wrong though.

I'm really thinking the TTR230 / XR200 / CRF230 is going to be the best compromise I'm going to find on height.

Edited by ripsnorter

Not too excited about buying TWO bikes for guests. If I were going to get two I'd probably drop down to a XR100 sized bike for shorties and kids, and a KDX200 for 6 footers.

Anyone have any experience with XR200 / TTR225/230 etc for 5' riders? too tall? Just right? 

I think the XR250 is a better bike than the 230's, but again, maybe a bit tall. I like the 200 as well, but no discs. The TTR125 is a remarkably fun and capable bike that comes with an estart version and some aftermarket items that make it better for grown folk.

Edited by Slackkinhard

is the ttr125 any taller than the xr100?

Yeah, a little bit. The TTR125 comes in a couple different 'trims'.  There is a small wheel(14/17) version and big wheel(16/19) version.

They made them for a lot of years and they haven't changed too much, however somewhere in there came a big wheel, e-start, front disc brake, adjustable suspension version(I think 2004),....that coupled with the BBR skidplate/frame completion plate....and the BBR tall triple clamp...ya gotta really fun bike. I'm 6' 190lbs and I can rumble those little bikes. I went the distance and put CR suspension, the BBR aluminum frame, etc, etc. Great fun, but you can still break them.

Edited by Slackkinhard

Yeah, a little bit. The TTR125 comes in a couple different 'trims'.  There is a small wheel(14/17) version and big wheel(16/19) version.

They made them for a lot of years and they haven't changed too much, however somewhere in there came a big wheel, e-start, front disc brake, adjustable suspension version(I think 2004),....that coupled with the BBR skidplate/frame completion plate....and the BBR tall triple clamp...ya gotta really fun bike. I'm 6' 190lbs and I can rumble those little bikes. I went the distance and put CR suspension, the BBR aluminum frame, etc, etc. Great fun, but you can still break them.

Thanks for the info!