Title for out of state bike in Washington

Washington

I have a bike that was originally from Florida. It's a '98 Yamaha YZ250.  There is no title and the previous owner is long gone (military).  Anyone have any idea what the process is for applying for a title?  I tried the DOL website, but that is just confusing as hell.

Just go into a DOL office, they will tell you what you need to do AND give you all the paper work that tells you what to do. Good luck.

Thanks man.  I was just hoping to avoid the lines at the DOL.

By any chance do you have the MSO or COO? With notarized bill of sale paper trail? If not...

You will have file for a lost title. Past owners or lien holders will have claiming rights for a period of time. This is the only way. Don't tell them it is from out of state - just that the title is lost....

Opps

Edited by trailwhale

By any chance do you have the MSO or COO? With notarized bill of sale paper trail? If not...

You will have file for a lost title. Past owners or lien holders will have claiming rights for a period of time. This is the only way. Don't tell them it is from out of state - just that the title is lost....

Unfortunately not.  Guess I'll have to go the lost title route. 

Why not tell them it's from out of state?

ownership in doubt. WSP inspection. If pass you get to register and ORV tab it. Wait three years. Apply for title. Can sell again to others during interim provided you pass original WSP inspection. Need notarized bill of sale from each party when selling. Check NICB.org first to ensure VIN is clean prior to inspection. 

Edited by shrubitup

^Also it must be registered every year of the 3years. (what WSP told me)

^Also it must be registered every year of the 3years. (what WSP told me)

Didn't know that. Good point. Once it leaves my hands the registration is on the new buyer but will inform them if I do this again. 

That nicb.org site is cool! I didnt know there was such a site!

Is there a site like that but for engine seriel numbers?

I didn't have to have my son's KX inspected. WA law specifically states that ORV's are exempt from inspection.

I didn't have to have my son's KX inspected. WA law specifically states that ORV's are exempt from inspection.

Didn't have to get it inspected for what?  To register it in your name and get tabs...no you don't need and inspection.  To get a lost title into your name where the original title owner is unknown....yes.

*I don't know about any of this "for sure".  Just the hoops they made me jump through at the time.

I just took the paperwork with me that says right on it "No inspection required for ORV titles" and they didn't require an inspection.

I just took the paperwork with me that says right on it "No inspection required for ORV titles" and they didn't require an inspection.

Where do you find that paperwork? I've had three bikes inspected thus far. No big deal. Just more hoops.