Sign in to follow this  

dirt to street conversion help

If this is the wrong thread let me know and I will try to find the right one.

So I have a 82 xr250r. It runs a stator only (no battery) and the system is 6v.

I want to put it on the street. So I guess my question is does anyone know where I can find 6v blinkers, double filament brake light and brake light switch, headlight with hi/lo settings etc. Im more of a backyatd mech with more skills with cars then bikes. I didnt even know any kind of vehicle ran without a battery till I got this bike. So I was thinking if anyone had a website they could refer me too or have some homemade schematics for this conversion or anything that could help. Bike runs great. And the high mpg would be great for the commute to work. Ket me know what you got

Thanks

I want to put it on the street. So I guess my question is does anyone know where I can find 6v blinkers, double filament brake light and brake light switch, headlight with hi/lo settings etc. Im more of a backyatd mech with more skills with cars then bikes. I didnt even know any kind of vehicle ran without a battery till I got this bike. So I was thinking if anyone had a website they could refer me too or have some homemade schematics for this conversion or anything that could help. Bike runs great. And the high mpg would be great for the commute to work. Ket me know what you got

Thanks

First off do some checking with DMV on getting tag and DO NOT say dirt bike!! What paperwork do you have? The good thing with that old of bike no records on it just say you bought it and been restoring it! You do now need blinkers to be legal you need headlight hi/low beam tail/brake light horn a bicycle squeeze horn works one mirror. So I would take paperwork bill of sale etc with vin number to DMV. Remember DO NOT say dirt bike you will prob get your tag then rig brake light you only one switch easy to add to rear pedal. I would not worry about high/low unless your state has inpections FLA dont. get mirror only need one and bicycle horn and yor GOOD! BTW XRs have two coils in stator one to power CDI one to power lights.

You would probably be better off converting it to 12 volt.   Ricky Stator (google it) may be able to rewind the stator so it could produce 12 V.  Then you would need a 12 volt AC regulator or 12 volt DC regulator/rectifier and battery.  

Ebay has DOT lights.   I would bet that parts from an XL250 of the same year, which was lighted and street legal, would fit your bike.  

• Like 1

Bajadesigns.com use to have all the requirements to make a bike street legal.

In California, the DMV looks for the Federal Smog Cert sticker. If none is found, odds of being plated go down.

I restored a 6v SL100 and 6v systems were a Pita. Bulbs and headlights were obscenely expensive. I would go with12v and have a much wider selection. Everything is going to LED and 12v. Besides the dual sport and other motorcycle groups, VW owners are a great source of 6v info and parts.

Thanks

If it were me I would just put this on it and call it done: Tusk Motorcycle Enduro Lighting Kit from Rocky Mountain ATV. I put this kit on my son's bike (already plated but no blinkers etc) and it is really well made and reliable. The tail light is the exact same as a Baja Designs at half the price. I have a Baja Design tail light on the shelf in the garage and it is exact. The charge lasts a long time too...just my nickels worth

Edited by Speed955

I was thinking of doing that. Only problem is no place to put battery. I could put a cone strait to carb and put battery in air box but I do ride it off road and it get muddy here. Cone probable wouldnt last long. Im all ears for the mcgyvers out there though

I read up on the tusk enduro kits. Alot of people wernt very happy with it. Parts falling off and what not.but im close to just getting it and just gorilla glue everything on lol

I read up on the tusk enduro kits. Alot of people wernt very happy with it. Parts falling off and what not.but im close to just getting it and just gorilla glue everything on lol

Sometimes you have to consider the installer. If they have stuff falling of then I have my own thoughts about that It actually has a 4.5 Star rating on Rocky Mountains web site. My son rides the dog shiz out of XR440 and we haven't had one issue. I have a baja designs kit on my XR400+ and I changed the rear tail light to the tusk one due to the Baja designs light failing. When I received the Tusk rear tail and saw that it was the exact same as the Baja Designs kit I didn't hesitate to buy the Tusk kit. That is when I bought the kit for my sons bike. It is a good quality kit, just needs to be installed correctly.

Good luck

Edited by Speed955

I only read the rating on amazon. Its looking more and more like im just going to get the kit. It would be cheaper to get that then buying everything individually. Thanks for all the input guys much appreciated.