Sign in to follow this  

Engine running hot

Noticed my engine is running hot is this normal? I got just over 700 miles on it and had the first service. I got the fmf exhaust system ejk controller and pulled out the air box snorkel with standard 14/40 sprockets on. The temp light or fan doesn't come on but the engine is real hot so much you can't leave your hand on it even after 10 to 15 minutes later. The bike runs fine no problems. Any advice welcome

Hi Taff,

What conditions and load when this happened? Be sure your oil is at the correct level as it helps cool the engine as well as lubriacate. Went up a mountain today with my wife on board and going about 15 or 20 mph. When we got to the top after about 15 minutes my right ankle was red from the heat. It only has 50Km on it yet so expected to run a little hotter. Going down using the engine to brake off and on and later in some flat areas it wasn't so hot. Be sure the wheels are turning freely and not binding. Other than that I will wait for others that have more miles on their bikes chime in.

Scott

Nothing binding and I'm 195lbs. What I should have said was the engine still untouchable 10 15 mins after I have stopped the bike not while riding

Very strange; You might want to check to make sure the fan is plugged in, but I would take it back to the dealer to have them check it out.  It does not sound normal to me.  

• Like 2

I had mine in the canyons and climbed up to 6500 form 1200 on a 103 degree day and it didn't get hot--fan ran most of the time and i was hot doging it too?something wrong --i guess the fan also?

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I know the fan worked before I took it in for the first service but thinking about it I haven't heard it kick in since having it back but only been out twice. Is there a way to check it myself as the the place I had it serviced is about an hour away

• Like 1

Get the fan and thermostat checked. and the radiator cap, they do sometimes malfunction. ....i mean some are not right or they go wrong quickly. 
The rest is speculation, that's all we can do here - tell you what are the most likely issues. So get it checked. 

• Like 3

Maybe the fan connector got disturbed, maybe the connector was not...maybe a dodgy connection in the connector or something, and it was disturbed when the bike was serviced. 

• Like 3

Also these little 250cc bikes will tend to run hotter as they have to work a little harder. My fan used to come on all the time in the summer but now that it is much cooler out I don't hear it kicking in. 

But if you think it is in fact over heating it needs looked at. Many things can cause this as mentioned above and also don't forget the thermostat may not be opening. 

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 3

You could test the fan by applying 12V to it, but that would only show that the fan works, itself. i dunno how you could check whether the fan is getting power when it should. Or how you check that the thermostat is opening. ....you could google it...  :excuseme:

• Like 1

still untouchable after 10-15 minutes, you mean the engine side casings or the cylinder head?  i would think the engine side casings should be touchableafter 15 minutes, but i dunno about the head. 

still untouchable after 10-15 minutes, you mean the engine side casings or the cylinder head? i would think the engine side casings should be touchableafter 15 minutes, but i dunno about the head.

Yea the side casings are what I mean so that normal then. This is the smallest bike I have ever owned and I am getting used to how everything seems hotter and how you got to thrash it more but I have to say I love this bike great fun.
  • Like 2

Yea the side casings are what I mean so that normal then. This is the smallest bike I have ever owned and I am getting used to how everything seems hotter and how you got to thrash it more but I have to say I love this bike great fun.

I honestly do not think I have ever paid attention or touched my side cases after a ride. But I will be going for a ride here this afternoon and I will see what I find.  :prof:

It is currently 52F out and today's high is 66F ... I will report back later on tonight.  

I guess this subject is a little interesting and I don't remember it being discussed ...  :thinking:

• Like 3

i meant it the other way, but i don't know, really. Maybe the head cools down quicker, because the engine oil retains heat longer...? i've never really paid attention to it. i'm more concerned if it smells hot, if i smell something i didn't notice before. So let gnath check. :)

• Like 2

Check your fuse, but with no temp gauge its hard to judge just how hot it is. Mine runs between 175-185 at highway speeds, but like I said, if u dont have a temp sensor its just a feeling!

Only now gone back to the bike been real busy with work. Started it up and left to run and after about 15mins the fan kicked it so that working ok but the bottom of the engine still very hot especially the left side. Has anyone else checked there's? Is this normal or am I being paranoid :wacko:

Only now gone back to the bike been real busy with work. Started it up and left to run and after about 15mins the fan kicked it so that working ok but the bottom of the engine still very hot especially the left side. Has anyone else checked there's? Is this normal or am I being paranoid :wacko:

I'm no expert but I would guess 212 degrees to be normal engine oil temps .... 

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. Should be going out for a good trail ride with a couple of friends soon so that should test it. Got the helmet mount for my gopro so hopefully a video coming soon

• Like 1

My fan doesn't kick on at all when just idling, unless I have been running it hard before hand. :ride:   I am idling mine right now and timing it to see if the fan kicks on, but my local ambient temp is only 45 degrees Fahrenheit so it might not kick on at all.  I will feel the left side at 15 min to see what it feels like.  

I'll edit in a few minutes.   

The bike was "cold" when I first started it.  I put a T-shirt over the radiator so that it would warm up quicker.  Left side engine cover and radiator were hot to the touch after 15 minutes.  The fan kicked on at 17 minutes.  The left side engine cover is definitely hotter than the right side even with the bike level, and the bottom of the radiator is "hot" to the touch too.  I loaned my infrared temperature gun to my neighbor who is 4wheeling in Tennessee this week.  Sounds like yours is operating similarly though.  

Edited by dkappelm
  • Like 3

Thanks for doing that and putting my mind at ease and thanks to everyone that replied to my post

• Like 2